Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 23 Week update!  (Read 2692 times)


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 12
    • View Profile
23 Week update!
« on: June 01, 2012 at 05:42 PM »
A week ago I was discharged from the hospital still contracting quite often but on an increased dose of procardia and a course of indomethacin. I thought thisng were going a bit better as I didn't seem to be contracting quite as much this week until yesterday.  Well I saw the peri first and he measured my cervix at 2.4 down from 3.6 two weeks ago. He proceeded to tell me that I was on everything they could do and at this point anything that happens is mother nature. I then had an appt with my reg OB and they insisted on doing another cervical legnth check. Her first measurement was 3.7 when I asked how there would be such a major discrepancy she moved the probe and as I contracted funneling developed. Now the measurement was at 2.1. She asked what the peri had said and I told her. Then I asked if it was her or her sister would she advise that there was nothing left to do. She asked if I had a cerclage. I don't so after some discussion we decided that we would be coming back next week for another check and possibly a cerclage at that point.She said she would like to wait till I hit 24 weeks so that if my water broke then there  was a better chance of survival  for baby she said she would really like to wait till 25 weeks. So we are waiting. Oh we were also told that we can push the 17p injections to every 5 days. Anyone else heard of this? And another question... Has anyone figured out the trick to decreasing the side effects of the procardia. I have noticed that some doses don't seem to affect me as much as others but have not been able to narrow down why.



  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 71
    • View Profile
Re: 23 Week update!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012 at 02:27 AM »
I was told that the progesterone shots could be given every 5-9 days. My doctor is having me take them every 7 days. I have no idea how to decrease the side effects of procardia, sorry :( With my last pregnancy, I was on terbutaline for several months. Some days I had worse side effects than others, but I don't remember anything I did or didn't do that I felt contributed to that.
Proud Mommy to five munchkins - ages 10, 8, 6, 5, and 1
Baby #6 due 9/22/12 - bedrest from 14 wks due to contractions


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 9
    • View Profile
Re: 23 Week update!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012 at 04:27 PM »
Good luck!  I have a dynamic cervix too, meaning it changes frequently.  However
we still have length to it despite my contractions.
  Anyways...with procardia:  I also noticed some doses had worse affects than others.
 If I take it before bed or in the middle of the night I wouldn't notice the effects so much.
Perhaps because it's a calcium channel blocker so if you are laying flat you won't feel the
hemodynamic changes as much as when you are slightly sitting or when you go to the bathroom.
  Also Ice packs helped with my headaches a lot.  The pulsating heart only lasted 1-2hours at the
Best of luck! 
megjean :)


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 33
    • View Profile
Re: 23 Week update!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012 at 10:11 AM »
I had a permanent cerclage put in at 18 weeks. At that time my cervix was measuring around 2.3. My doc had also told me that there was a chance of my water breaking during the procedure. But, my past 2 pregnancies both resulted in premature babies so we knew it was best to risk it and do the stitch. Thankfully everything went very well. Since then my cervix has held up pretty well. As of today, I am 32w5d. My last cervical measurement was around 1.8. I have an appt today and I think they will do the last measurement today. Take everything your doc says very seriously! If you are on bedrest, stick to it religiously ! I didn't see if you said you are on bedrest or not. If you aren't , you may want to ask your doc about it. Bedrest works wonders for women in our position ! Also, about the P17 shots, I have been on them since 18 weeks. I have been taking 1cc once weekly. I have just enough left for one more dose so today I'm going to ask my doc if it's o.k. to stop them. For me, I have insurance but I still have to pay a good bit for it. I hate to get another month's worth and the baby be born in a week or two. But, if my doc says I need to continue them, then I will just have to bite the bullet and pay up lol !! I hope some of this helps you out. Good luck with the remainder of your pregnancy !  :)
Child #1: Born at 35 weeks, healthy
Child #2: Born at 30 weeks, healthy
Child #3: Cerclage at 18 weeks (cervix 2.2cm), on bedrest since, 27w3d as of 5/7/12