Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Dilated cervix and bulging membrane at 21 weeks!  (Read 15735 times)

Hope4DS

• View Profile
Dilated cervix and bulging membrane at 21 weeks!
« on: June 06, 2012 at 10:15 PM »
I'm currently 22 weeks pregnant and 1 day!
I was admitted a week ago with cervix dilated to 3 and membrane bulging by 5cm!
Was told there was no hope first, they the doctors discovered I had just enough cervix for a cervical stitch!
Operation was a success, I'm now 5 days passed the procedure and waiting for the 24 week mark to be moved to a bigger hospital!
So nervous and scared! Anyone been in this situation?
Strict bed rest until bubs born, which I hope is a fair while!

Heather

• View Profile
Re: Dilated cervix and bulging membrane at 21 weeks!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012 at 04:36 PM »
At 19+2 they discovered my cervix was only 5 mm. I was dilated to 2 cm, had funneling and debris (which could be an indication on an infection or preterm labor).   We were told that there was a slim chance for a cerclage, but the next dr. was willing to try. They were able to push the membranes up and do a successful cerclage.  We had also been told that we only had a 25% chance of making it to viablility if they could do a cerclage, if not I would deliver within the week.  I was also told I'd be on bed rest until the end. They ended up letting me go home after 2 days and called me their miracle patient.  Now I'm 29 weeks and on moderate bed rest at home.  My cervical lengths have gotten shorter and shorter after they initially lengthened, so I contantly fear being put back on stricter bed rest or even in the hospital, but I'm definately thankful for the 10 weeks we've gained so far and hope to gain many more.  Good luck with your journey, hopefully you'll be lucky enough to be allowed to go home at some point, but even if not hang in there, it'll be worth it in the end.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012 at 01:57 PM by Heather »

Mommaof3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012 at 11:39 PM »
My story is pretty similar to yours =)

My short cervix was discovered at about 20 weeks and bedrest prescribed. I have two children already so I was mortified as both of them are very young. I was scared and felt alone because people didn't take the bedrest too seriously and acted like I was on vacation. It wasn't until we met the high risk doctors that my husband got on board and became just as frightened as I was. I remember that appointment and how the doctor didn't sugar coat anything, my husband left in tears. There was a chance that our kids wouldn't be able to enjoy a little sister and that we weren't going to be able to love her because no one thought we would make it with a funneling short cervix!

At 23 weeks I went into labor and was admitted to the hospital for a week, magnesium (icky) and all that great stuff. Things stabilized and I was sent home! Again at 28 weeks I went into the hospital with contractions and was transferred immediately to the bigger hospital an hour away from home after being put on mag again! They weren't letting me go this time as I had previously been dilated to 2 and now with this 2nd bout of PTL I dilated to 5. My 6 consecutive weeks of bedrest began =( World crashed and the first week or two was the worst. I couldn't see my husband and kids everyday and gas was over 4 bucks a gallon and with only one income it was terrible! I can honestly say I don't know how I got through the first 2 weeks, but after that things just became more acceptable. Not saying there weren't days where I was a wreck, but it got a little more tolerable but never became easier. It has to be done one day at a time and no matter how hard it is try and think of something positive along with every negative feeling you have.

You are in my thoughts and prayers because you have a long road ahead of you but as I sit here and hold my little miracle baby I can assure you that there is no greater reward!!! You can get through this and it will make you stronger, don't take one second for granted! You are an amazing woman and that baby deserves you like you deserve her! I can be your hospital bedrest buddy because I did it and I know it helps SOOOO much to have someone to talk to so please feel free to message me with whatever! We are all here to help, so good luck on making it to 24 weeks, I can't wait to see your post saying you're moving to the bigger place ;)
Child #1: Born at 35 weeks, heatlhy
Child #2: Born at 34 weeks, healthy
Child #3: Short Cervix at 21 weeks, strict bedrest for 3 months, 7 weeks of which were hospitalized, dilated to 5 at 28 weeks, baby born at 37 weeks and perfect =)

Hope4DS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012 at 06:15 AM »
Oh wow, thanks for the replies ladies :)
Little man is still holding on, Im 22 weeks and 6 days tomorrow!
So only a bit over a week and we are on our way to Sydney!!!
I will be sure to keep everyone posted! X

claire1228

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012 at 07:21 PM »
Hang in there, Hope !! I had a cerclage put in at 18 weeks and have been on strict bed rest since. I am now 32 weeks 3 days. Looking back, it has really gone by fast. When I had my cerclage put, my cervix was so very short that they had to do a permanent cerclage. I will have this thing in forever ! Since then I have had a few hospital stays for diffrent reasons and a month ago I was hospitalized because I had began to dialate (to 1cm). At that time they admitted me and gave me a round of IV magnesium. I have not dialated any further since. I have been on p17 shots since 18 weeks and have also taken a few rounds on indocine. I'm not going to lie to you, bedrest can get hard sometimes. You just have to remember you are NOT alone and that you are doing whats best for baby!! When I had my cerclage, I remember thinking that I would never make it on bedrest. But as I said, looking back, it has passed by quick. Keep around things to do, like books or magazines to read. Alot of women sew, or learn to. Maybe have someone pick you up a few crossword or sudoku books. And I can spend hours online looking at baby things, reading articles and playing games. Take the time to relax and stay healthy for baby !!  STAY POSITIVE !!:D
Child #1: Born at 35 weeks, healthy
Child #2: Born at 30 weeks, healthy
Child #3: Cerclage at 18 weeks (cervix 2.2cm), on bedrest since, 27w3d as of 5/7/12