Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Poll

just put on hospital bedrest

help
0 (0%)
advice
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: im new here  (Read 3369 times)

katiemappes

• View Profile
im new here
« on: June 23, 2012 at 08:36 AM »
Hi ladies.. im new here and just got put on strict hospital bedrest. Im 28 weeks pregnant with boy girl twins and im already not knowing how in im going go make it to the end. Please any advice??

jmegio

• View Profile
Re: im new here
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012 at 09:33 AM »
well, first off, you WILL make it to the end, so don't doubt your capabilities!  you're fortunate to already be at a promising gestational age, though you'll want to aim higher, and are in the best possible place in case something were to happen - think positively.  you are in a very similar situation to many women on this forum (i, myself, have dealt mainly with at-home bed rest, but i survived a total of 24 weeks, 12 with each pregnancy).  i've copied/pasted my previous response to another hospital bedridden woman looking for the same advice...

try to establish a schedule for yourself - meals, visitors, tv viewing, book reading, bathing/showering, etc.  it will actually make the time go by faster.  try to establish open communication with your nurses (mainly) and doctors, going beyond routine medical conversations to inquiring about their own lives (obviously not getting too personal too soon).  you might be amazed on the perspective they can offer you.  i also found journaling to be quite therapeutic and a great way to record the baby's special beginning, which i'm sure he/she will appreciate later in life.

most importantly, try to take ONE day at a time.  remind yourself that this is temporary.  also, my faith and continuous prayer are what ultimately got me through my ordeal (past & present).

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!
First Child Born @ 35 wks + 1, after 12 wks of bed rest
Second Child Born @ 39 wks, after 13 wks of bed rest

katiemappes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012 at 08:21 AM »
Thank you. Advice is much appreciated.

Mommaof3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012 at 11:29 PM »
I remember thinking the same thing when the doctors told me I would be on strict hospital bedrest for 6 weeks (after already spending a prior week in the hospital). There were absolutely no positive emotions for a while. My first 2 weeks were terrible and I've never cried so much in my  life. I can only tell you that things do get better and you absolutely will make it through it. I don't know how long the doctors are telling you you're there for but I know no matter how long they're saying, you will make it! You're going to be a mom and moms can do absolutely anything =D Journals help a lot and schedules are great as well. The hospital I was at actually had a few activities here and there, which helped a little. I know things seem impossible right now but they will get better, please believe that =) It's not easy and never will be but it will get easier. Good luck, you are in my thoughts =)
Child #1: Born at 35 weeks, heatlhy
Child #2: Born at 34 weeks, healthy
Child #3: Short Cervix at 21 weeks, strict bedrest for 3 months, 7 weeks of which were hospitalized, dilated to 5 at 28 weeks, baby born at 37 weeks and perfect =)

katiemappes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012 at 06:01 PM »
Thanks ladies.
Ive been here a week so hopefully 4 more in the hospital til i get to go home for a short time before they are born. Its comforting to hear so many others have been in my position. Question....haow many of you ladies have had a premie that stayed in the NICU and for how long? How many weeks were you when delivered? Are they healthy now?

jmegio

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012 at 09:54 AM »
my son was born at 35w1d (?) after 12 weeks of bed rest and unfortunately had to stay in the NICU for 42 days  :(.  However, his condition - PPHN - is not commonly linked to prematurity and is rare, so we're not sure what caused it.  BUT, he completely recovered in a few short weeks after coming home and has since been a healthy boy!  i'm not going to lie to you, the NICU was an intense experience, but it made us stronger as parents and deepened our bond/love as a family.

First Child Born @ 35 wks + 1, after 12 wks of bed rest
Second Child Born @ 39 wks, after 13 wks of bed rest

jp99

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012 at 06:14 PM »
I agree with the others - you WILL make it!! I am not sure why you are on bed rest, but I was also put on bed rest at 23 weeks for Incompetent cervix.  I was pregnant with di/di twins and spent 8 LONG weeks in the hospital.  Doctors gave me little hope of making to 28 weeks, and once I made it past that milestone they told me there was little to no chance of making to to 32 weeks.  Eventually i was induced at 36 weeks 5 days and neither of my girls needed any NICU time. 
As for advice, what worked for me was to take it day by day, but to not focus too much on the numbers that the dr's are always throwing out at you.  I would be sent for weekly ultrasounds for my cervix and every week it would be a bit shorter - but the nurses would continuously remind me that all that really was important was that my girls were still baking.  Get lots of good books, a computer with lots of movies/tv shows, a journal, and let anyone come visit.  I remember it being pretty lonely in the hospital, but the day they let me out of there it was as if it never happened.  And now that my girls are here its all just a thing of the past. 
So stay positive and I wish you the best on this journey.  Its a rough one but worth it in the end :-)