Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Monday Roll Call for June 18  (Read 4539 times)

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Monday Roll Call for June 18
« on: June 18, 2012 at 08:32 AM »
It's a new week! How many weeks are you? Any OB appointments coming up? What are you looking forward to this week? (And if you don't have something special planned yet, what will it be?)

I've noticed that our turnout for the Tuesday live chats has been small the last few weeks. Is there a time that would work better for you all? Is there something about the chats that we could do differently? Just let me know...

Keep 'em cookin', mamas!
Angela

Live chat at 2 pm Eastern on Tuesdays: http://www.keepemcookin.com/thechatroom.aspx
Symptoms of preterm labor: http://www.keepemcookin.com/symptoms.aspx
Idea of the Day: http://www.keepemcookin.com/bedrest.aspx
Follow Keep 'Em Cookin' on Twitter: http://twitter.com/KeepEmCookin

littlemamadugan

• View Profile
    • a girl with wishes
Re: Monday Roll Call for June 18
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012 at 09:00 AM »
well, i am officially on bed rest as of Sunday when i was released from the hospital after spending a lovely weekend there. i was having 7-8 *painful*  contractions an hour when i was admitted. i was checked then and was found to not be dilating. Ffn test was negative. culture was ran on my urine and found that i was in the midst of a fairly bad infection. was treated with antibiotics and continued to contract.
had an ultrasound done on my baby boy. here's the strange part (for me- never had this happen) i was 29 weeks, 2 days. baby is measuring 32-33 weeks along in size, and has been consistently measuring that much bigger all along. will my due date change? i have my strong doubts as size doesnt = lung maturity or anything like that, but ya know...the bigger baby (to me) makes me feel better even though i figure it has no medical reliance in it.
sunday morning, i was checked and was told that my outer cervix is open but inside is still closed. has anyone else heard of this or been told something similar? care to explain it a little better? doc didnt seem too worried about it. i was told the ultrasound showed there might be a problem with baby's kidneys and something to do with their dilation (?)
i was sent home with strict bed rest and was told to call first thing this am for a follow up ultrasound to check on those kidneys.
i almost made it to 30weeks without being on bedrest. almost! any advice or info you might be able to offer for my questions or my situation would be greatly appreciated!
Lily Angelina -9-11-04 @37weeks induced(10weeks bedrest)
Angel baby- due  4-4-11, miscarriage at 8 weeks
Amelia Mae Rose -7-28-11 @36weeks came on her own!(20weeks bedrest)
Cain Arnold due 8-30-12, born on 8-8-12, 36.6 weeks
Jacob Henry due 9-11-16, born 7-14-16 at 31.4 weeks

jmegio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM »
34w3d today!  i'll be 35 weeks this friday and allowed off bed rest!  of course, i will have to slowly resume normal activities and will place myself on house arrest (then again, this body of mine won't be able to handle much else after 12 full weeks of laying in bed!).  i'm not sure how quickly things will progress thereafter.  i learned at my last appointment that i'm 2-3 cm dilated and suffering from a bladder infection  :(.  i would just like to be able to put the final touches on the nursery and bask in the sun for a few days before she arrives.  i will be ecstatic if we make it to 36 weeks because the fear of lung immaturity diminishes.  we shall see.... my son arrived within 48 hours of coming off bed rest but there were too many variables that could have contributed to that.  i will have another appointment on thursday, where i'll be checked again.

littlemamadugan, in response to your dilation question...  the external portion of your cervix (i believe) is what doctors measure when they do an internal finger exam and tell you you're x-cm dilated.  the internal portion of your cervix, closest to baby, can also be measured in cm and is referred to as 'funneling.'  the worrry with funneling is that the membranes can slip down and bulge and, possibly, rupture too soon.  i'd have to be a doctor to assess which end of dilation is worse (and if i'm even correct - FYI: i suffer from both forms of dilation), so i'd seek clarification the next time you're seen.  good luck to you and baby!
First Child Born @ 35 wks + 1, after 12 wks of bed rest
Second Child Born @ 39 wks, after 13 wks of bed rest

Heather

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012 at 03:34 PM »
30+2 weeks today, finally made it to the 30's!!!  I feel like a huge weight has been lifted and we can finally start counting down (even though I know I have a ways to go). At my perinatology appointment he was measuring 4 lb 3 oz, so they decided that I need to go on the GDM, the dr. was concerned that if I make it to term he'll be 10 lb at this rate.  So that's been one more thing that we're having to work with right now. My cervical length remained 1.3 so I was told I've graduated from them and only need to be checked if I'm bleeding or contracting, seems weird to not have to go back in 2 weeks.  I will go back at 36 weeks to check his growth though.  I was also told that I can take my son, Logan to swim lessons after 34 weeks, so I'm very excited about that, it's the one thing I absolutely wanted to do this summer and didn't think I was going to get to.  Only 4 more milesones to hit! 32, 34, 36, then 37weeks!

littlemamadugan, my son has always measured big, they bumped up my due date at the 8 week ultrasound, but I wasn't positive that I had my LMP correct so they went with the ultrasound.  I started having growth ultrasounds at 19 weeks (with cervical length check) and since then he has continued to measure bigger than my gestation by 3 weeks or so.  I talked with my OB about it and as you thought, at this point size doesn't effect lung maturity so they leave the date the same.  Because of him measuring big the perinatologist wants me to be on the GDM  diet to hopefully avoid having a 10 lb baby. I also feel better knowing he's a bigger baby (at this point at least), it makes me feel like he has a better chance if he were to come early. As far as the kidneys, I might be wrong depending on what they specifically found, but the most common thing they're worried about with dilated kidneys is urinary reflux, where urine can flow back up in the kidneys causing them to swell.  Typically they do a further ultrasound and then depending on how "bad" (I use that term for lack of a better choice) it looks they will either give prophylactic antibiotics after delivery or will do further testing.  There's a wide span in severity and usually it's just something that's monitored, the main concern is that you're more prone to urinary tract infections that can easily become kidney infections.  I know there are other causes, but that's the main thing I've seen.

jp99

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM »
Hey Everyone.  I am still here, 36 + 3 and going strong.  Well actually I feel like I am falling apart - the pain of carrying twins has really caught up with me and I am pretty miserable.  I can't seem to find a single position that is comfortable to be in and I am so ready to be done now.  My doctors is inducing me on wednesday, so the end is really in sight now.  This week I have had so many people tell me what a miracle it is that my babies have stayed inside cooking for so long, and in a way I find this a bit insulting.  I correct them every single time and remind them that what has likely kept them cooking for so long is the fact that I layed in a hospital bed for 8 weeks and a regular bed for about 4 weeks - that is no miracle!!
So my long journey of bed rest is coming to an end.  I am so grateful that I found this site as it was a great source of support for me during such a long and difficult time.  All you women are inspiring and I wish you all the best on your journeys.  I will definitely update you when the girls make their arrival.  I am a bit nervous of being induced, but my doctor is hoping that all he will have to do is break my water and the rest will happen naturally!!

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012 at 10:19 AM »
Ladies! Don't miss our live chat today at 2 pm EDT! http://www.keepemcookin.com/thechatroom.aspx

JP99: I'm thinking positive thoughts for you and wishing you a safe and speedy delivery! Can't wait to hear your birth story! You remind me of a quote from the writer Sue Bender who said, "Miracles come after a lot of hard work." Ain't that the truth for bedrest mamas?  ;D

SRKDVMMOM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012 at 02:30 PM »
Again a day late, but I remembered to check in this week, unlike last.
Still here, 30+2. Like Heather, I am feeling much relieved to have made it into the 30's. Next date is my 'anniversary date' for the birth of my son, which is 31+4. I have a growth ultrasound in 2 weeks (provided I am still here) to make sure there is no IUGR. I feel like this baby is bigger, stronger, more active, and more willful than my son was. Still have successfully held out on finding out gender.
Yesterday's appointment went well. Only 1 small contraction on NST and baby's heart rate did fine.
Cervix is still without tension and closed.
I have been having problems with a 'cold' that won't go away, and what I suspected was an ear infection. I mentioned it to my MFM doc. He checked me out and  I do have otitis and sinusitis. He prescribed some antibiotics so hopefully I won't feel so miserable in the head very soon. The guy is the greatest. I would love to work for him when this is done. His office staff is amazing, and all long term employees. The do need a receptionist. I do have a 150,000 education and student loans to pay back, being that I am a veterinarian, but the job there sounds sooooo tempting!
Preemie momma
Expecting #2:
-Hemi-uterus
-Cerclage at 13.5 weeks
-Progesterone shots weekly
-Subchorionic hemorrhage at 15 weeks
-Bed rest since 13.5 weeks and counting....

munchkinsmom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012 at 05:27 PM »
26+3 wks today. 12 wks of bedrest down, 9 to go :) Waiting on the results of the ffn test the dr did yesterday, but looks like we're hanging in there for now :)
Proud Mommy to five munchkins - ages 10, 8, 6, 5, and 1
Baby #6 due 9/22/12 - bedrest from 14 wks due to contractions