Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Baby girls have arrived  (Read 4773 times)

jp99

• View Profile
Baby girls have arrived
« on: June 27, 2012 at 12:45 AM »
I am happy to announce that my baby girls arrived safe and sound on June 20th.  I was 36 +5 and induced by my doctor.  We had planned to do the induction on the 20th but as i have learned throughout this pregnancy - things never seem to go as planned.  On June 19th i started having pretty regular and somewhat uncomfortable contractions.  I decided to stop by my midwives office before heading off to my NST just to let her know what was going on.  She checked my cervix and discovered i was now 6cm.  She told me to go home quickly and grab my hospital bag as she was sure the babies were coming a day earlier than planned.  When i arrived at L & D they ran the NST and saw that i was contracting regularly and i was immediately admitted as they could not safely let me go home.  The Dr on call was going to break my water for me just to get labor going but when they re checked me about 5 hours later I was still only 6cm so it was decided then that I should just hold out until the next day and go ahead with the induction as planned.  So that is what we did.  The next morning my doctor broke my water at about 10am.  I had an epidural placed as a precaution for twin delivery and I decided to go ahead and have some pain meds in my epidural as I felt like I had suffered enough over the last 2 weeks of my pregnancy.  My contractions picked up after a small amount of oxytocin and the next thing I knew i was feeling like it was time to push.  At the hospital their policy is to do all twin deliveries in the OR just to be safe.  When I told them that I was ready to push panic set in among the staff as the OR was not ready for me.  A c-section had just been done and the OR was not clean.  They told me to try my hardest not to push while they quickly prepared my room for delivery just incase.  Soon enough I was being rushed down to the OR and about 30 mins later my first baby girl was born at 2:01pm  She weighed in at 6lb 3oz and came out crying.  She was whisked away from me pretty quickly as they NICU team wanted to check her over to be safe.  11 mins later my second baby girl was born and weighed 5 lb 7oz.  Both were perfectly healthy and no NICU time was needed.  What a relief!!!
We stayed in the hospital for 2 nights and then I was ready to go home.  My son who is almost 3 has been through so much with this roller coaster pregnancy and we really felt like we needed to get home to be a family together again.  So far things have been pretty good.  The girls (who have yet to be officially named) are pretty sleepy and weight gain is our main issue.  Their big brother is being amazing and he is just so happy to have 2 sisters to love (we will see how long that lasts :-) )
I am so grateful to have found this forum as it was a great source of info and comfort for me during my 3 month stretch of bed rest.  For those of you beginning your bed rest journey, I wish you luck.  Its a long tough road, but I really do believe that it works and it is worth it in the end.  I did a lot of crying while hospitalized for those 8 weeks and there were some very dark days, but being able to hold your baby and not have to deal with the NICU was so worth it in the end.  I wish all of you the best of luck on your journey and my best advice is to set small goals and not listen too much to the doctors who tell you that you are going to delivery early.  They told me that the whole way along and I ended up being induced. 

Heather

• View Profile
Re: Baby girls have arrived
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012 at 01:57 AM »
Congrats!!!! So great to hear that they didn't have to go to the NICU!

jmegio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012 at 09:36 AM »
wonderful news - so glad your hardwork paid off!!
First Child Born @ 35 wks + 1, after 12 wks of bed rest
Second Child Born @ 39 wks, after 13 wks of bed rest

Mommaof3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012 at 11:12 PM »
Congratulations! I am so happy for you and your family! I was right there with you in the hospital and I can back up the fact that there was an overabundance of crying! Our babies make every tear worth it though =)
Child #1: Born at 35 weeks, heatlhy
Child #2: Born at 34 weeks, healthy
Child #3: Short Cervix at 21 weeks, strict bedrest for 3 months, 7 weeks of which were hospitalized, dilated to 5 at 28 weeks, baby born at 37 weeks and perfect =)

megjean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012 at 07:45 PM »
Yeah!  Congrats!  Such a great story.  Enjoy those gals and you whole family.

Meghan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012 at 08:34 AM »
Congratulations on your twins and great job getting to 36 weeks!  That part is behind you now and you can enjoy your girls!!!!  Let the fun begin!
02-16-2009 - Identical twin boys born at 31 weeks, 19 day in NICU
07-31-2010 - DS born at 36 weeks
07-04-2012 - DD born at 38+4 weeks, progesterone shots since 22 weeks, born 13 days after last shot

libraadragonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012 at 03:27 PM »
Congrats

abby

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012 at 10:12 PM »
Congrats on your twins, and way to go with the vaginal delivery.  I had to push for 3 hours with the second one, who was suppose to just fall out.  Are they Identical.  There is a company that will do a test called Affiliated Genetics.  We just got the results of ours and found out that even though they were didi twins they were still identical.  Because of how the second twin was born they still looked different.  I recommend finding out because that is the first question everyone asks us.  Congrats again, glad your family is back together!
Bedrest Graduate
Identical Twins born at 37 Weeks
14 Weeks of Bedrest

jp99

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012 at 11:15 PM »
Thanks everyone!! Abby can I ask how much it cost for the genetic testing? I have heard its expensive but I am very curious as to whether my girls are identical. They look a lot alike and have a few features that are the same but they were also di/di so I just assume they are fraternal. It might be nice to know for sure as we do get asked a lot

Meghan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012 at 07:19 AM »
I also went with Affiliated Genetics and got an identical result for my di/di twin boys.  Right now the cost is $170, which includes a handling fee.  I did the test at 6 months.  Not that it matters, but I had to know for sure if they were identical or fraternal. Also, it was nice to know if my chances of having twins again were increased by having a set of fraternal twins.  Having identical twins does not increase you chances for having twins again, which I didn't.  It's nice to know how my boys began!  Congrats again on your twins!!
02-16-2009 - Identical twin boys born at 31 weeks, 19 day in NICU
07-31-2010 - DS born at 36 weeks
07-04-2012 - DD born at 38+4 weeks, progesterone shots since 22 weeks, born 13 days after last shot

abby

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012 at 07:34 AM »
Yah we paid $160 and had to wait about 2 weeks after we mailed in the kit.  You just have to swab their cheeks a bunch of times.  It's really easy, I just hope the company is legit!  but my doctor gave us their website information so I think they must be pretty good.  Couldn't believe it when we got the results.  Checked the mailbox everyday in anticipation.  Kinda fun!
Bedrest Graduate
Identical Twins born at 37 Weeks
14 Weeks of Bedrest