Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Gestational Diabetes Diet  (Read 4043 times)

Heather

• View Profile
Gestational Diabetes Diet
« on: June 13, 2012 at 02:23 PM »
My 1 hr glucose test came back high so they had me to the 3 hr test (it was nice to get the outing, but I wish it had been for something else).  My 3 hr glucose test came back normal so I was excited no not have to follow the diabetic diet and have to test my blood sugars.  My OB told me I should still follow a low-carb diet since I'm at least glucose intolerant. Yesturday at my peri appointment they did a growth and at 29 weeks he's measuring 4 lb 3 oz! The perinatologist wants me to follow the diabetic diet now since he's so big already.  I was wondering if anyone else is on a diabetic diet and if there are any tricks you've picked up or any go to foods/snacks that you've found to be helpful?

shan2250

• View Profile
Re: Gestational Diabetes Diet
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012 at 03:41 PM »
Hi there! I had GD with my son and also had to follow a very low carb diet. I actually just took my 1 hour today and hoping to pass with this pregnancy. My advice is to carb count. Try and limit carbs in the morning for sure. I had to keep mine under 20 carbs. A nutritionist gave me a over number, can't remember now, but that was helpful. I snacked on chz, cottage cheese, all veggies, you can have all the meat you would like and that's free carbs, eggs, watch milk and juice as they have a lot of carbs. Having one slice of whole wheat bread vs 2 will help if you are craving bread. Hope this helps and if I come back with GD tomorrow ill post some more after I refresh myself. Btw my son was predicted to be large and they induced me. He was only 7lbs 13 oz at 39 weeks.

Heather

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012 at 05:03 PM »
Thanks!  I ended up downloading an app, My Fitness Pal, that also has a linked website to help me figure out carbs and have found some easy, low carb snacks that work.  I was bad about not counting last week with the 4th and my birthday but have since gotten back to following the perinatologist's recommendations, or at least close to them.  I am a post partum nurse and have many times seen people induced or have a c-section because the baby measured big and then they've ended up in the 7 lb range.  My first was 8 lb 8 oz so I wouldn't be surprised if he's larger.  I'm just trying to prevent him from being so large that he has to go to the NICU for breathing problems, as we've named fat baby syndrome.  I'd hate to have gone through all of this, him to come far enough along that he doesn't have to go and then him to end up going because of size related complications.  I did tell my OB I was loosely following the guidelines from perinatology and allowing myself treats here and there and she's completely fine with that, so it's not as bad as it could be.

shan2250

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012 at 11:10 PM »
That's good that its under control! Yay! I'm on bedrest w this current pregnancy due to a short cervix and not being able to move around has raised my blood sugar, plus I just had my first steroid shot today for lung maturity in case I go into PTL.  I will have to check out that app you mentioned. Maybe it can help me too. Thanks for sharing! Keep me posted on how things go. How far along are you?