Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: short cervix, funneling and cerglage  (Read 6522 times)

MzTaylor

• View Profile
short cervix, funneling and cerglage
« on: July 07, 2012 at 01:33 PM »
Hey i am currerntly 19 wks and 1 day pregnant and my cervix lenth is a 1.1 with funneling... i have a  cerglage in place but i am very much scared of whats gonna happen i pray daily while on strict bed rest in the hospital.. they have allowed me bathroom and shower breaks.i currently take the 17p shots and supplements... Has anyone been through anything like this before?? Help me

Heather

• View Profile
Re: short cervix, funneling and cerglage
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012 at 06:50 PM »
I am in almost the exact same situation. At 19+2 weeks my cervix was only 0.5cm with funneling and dilating.  I was immediately admitted to the hospital.  The next day they placed a cerclage and then I was on strict bed rest with bathroom privilages and 1 quick shower a day.  I was fortunate enough to be allowed to go home after a few days and continue with the strict bed rest and 17p injections.  As time went on they have allowed be to do more, but the thought on this varies so I'm not sure what you're dr. is planning.  After a few weeks I was allowed to get up to get snacks, drinks, or even to make myself a quick, light meal.  Now I'm 33 weeks and can get up for 1-2 hours at a time a few times a day.  I've definately been fortunate, I was prepared to be on bed rest until the end (I was given a 25% chance to even make it to viability and now they have scheduled my term c-section and are hopeful I'll make it until then). Have they talked about letting you be on bed rest at home at all?  It's definately a long, scary road, but as each day and week goes by you'll switch from counting how long you've been on bed rest and switch to counting how long you have left. Best of luck!

Mommaof3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012 at 04:02 PM »
I was put on bedrest in February and ended up having to do some time in the hospital. I was dilated to 2 at 23 weeks and was admitted for one week and released as my CL stabilized and there was no progress. At 28 weeks I went into labor again and dilated to 5, this started my long, long "journey" of hospital bedrest. I stayed 6 straight weeks in the hospital and it was miserable. At first it felt like torture but it did get easier. There isn't much you can do to make it fun, but just know that things will get easier and it will become more tolerable. Establish a schedule for yourself and keep it. Keep a journal if you think that might help =) It's very hard, but if you can get through this (which of course you can) you can get through anything =D Good luck!
Child #1: Born at 35 weeks, heatlhy
Child #2: Born at 34 weeks, healthy
Child #3: Short Cervix at 21 weeks, strict bedrest for 3 months, 7 weeks of which were hospitalized, dilated to 5 at 28 weeks, baby born at 37 weeks and perfect =)

MzTaylor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012 at 06:07 PM »
thanks ladies we are on strict bedrest but she is still holding on i am 20 weeks today without any change..

busybaking

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012 at 06:55 AM »
I found out I had a short cervix at 21 weeks (dilated to 1, funneling, CL around 1).  I had a rescue cerclage placed at 21 weeks, followed by bed rest at home with bathroom/shower privileges and up to heat food in microwave only.  I did this from week 21-34.  Week 35 I could be up sitting during the day, week 36 I was off bed rest completely, week 37 +2 cerclage was removed, baby was born at 38 weeks exactly.  Hope this gives you encouragement, hang in there!
First pregnancy
Bed rest at 21 weeks due to incompetent cervix. Healthy boy at 38 weeks!

Second pregnancy
Cerclage at 14 weeks, no bed rest, healthy baby girl at 38 weeks/6 days

Third pregnancy
Cerclage scheduled for 11/11/15

Asbrooks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012 at 09:18 PM »
I'm new to the forum...I'm currently on bedrest at home for IC. I was given a cerclage at 13+6 wks. Things were going fine until my 2nd trimester u/s my cervix had shortened with a small amount of funneling. I was ordered to take it easy and come back in a week. At my f/u appt I was 19 weeks and my doc found that I had shortened more to .5 CL with funneling to the stitch, but the cerclage was still in good position. So now I'm on bedrest for the long haul. I'm currently 21+4 weeks and feeling pretty good, my next appt is 9/6. Praying everything is stable and that me and baby get to full term.

Its great to read the success stories, gives me a little more hope.  Will keep you posted on what happens.
Blessings to all of you!!!

shan2250

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012 at 11:54 AM »
Hi there! I'm Shanon and I was diagnosed at 20 wks durning a routine U/S with a short cervix and funneling. My cervix was 2.5cm at that time. I was put on strict bedrest at home and have been getting cervical cks every 2wks. I was given the steroid shots for lung development just in case. My cervix is now 2 cm and I'm 34 wks! Yay! Was told yesterday bedrest can be lifted at 36 wks so hang in there, I know how hard it is. I also have a 2 yr old and family has helped me. Bedrest is one of the toughest things I have ever done but worth all 16 weeks of it! Good luck and just know you can make it.

Isa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012 at 12:30 PM »
I was prescribed bed rest yesterday from my doctor and I am in shock. I have been really active up to now, working out, moderate running, etc.
My last ultrasound done October 22, 2012 indicates that my cervix is now at 2.8 centimetres, I’m at 24 weeks.

My previous ultrasound done on September 18 indicated that my cervix was at 3.3 centimetres.

The doctor says that I have to stay off my feet as much as possible, no lifting, shopping, car, bus rides etc.

I want to do all that I can to ensure that my baby is healthy and not prematurely delivered. It’s my first one and I am now so worried. I was wondering if cervix can get “longer” with bed rest? How can I just ensure that all will be ok? I can’t help but think that all this stress I am feeling from being on rest, off work, not exercising will affect my baby.

I want to stay positive, I want to ensure that my husband, who will be a great help I know it, doesn’t feel frustrated. So much thinking will drive me crazy. Reading stories is helping but also scaring me.

My doctor says that I am aloud to take baths and short walk, any thoughts on that?