Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: short cervix, funneling and too late for a cerclage  (Read 16505 times)

DNAincubator

• View Profile
short cervix, funneling and too late for a cerclage
« on: July 11, 2012 at 03:18 PM »
Hi everyone
I'm new here. Eight months ago today I gave birth to a 32 weeker (he's doing great!) and a couple of months later I became pregnant again (very unplanned as we were preventing but now very much wanted). I am currently 25 weeks and my cervix was initially doing great but suddenly it went from 4 to 2.1 with funneling. I am too late for a cerclage. I've been on P17 shots since 20 weeks and yesterday I was given the steroid shot and put on bedrest. I am really worried and I could use some reassurance. Before my eight month old was born I had a stillborn at 38 weeks (class 3 placental abruption) and I'll do anything to avoid losing another baby.  :(

shan2250

• View Profile
Re: short cervix, funneling and too late for a cerclage
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012 at 03:49 PM »
Hi! I too am on bedrest for a shortening cervix w/o a cerclage.  Found out at 20 weeks I was funneling and CL measured 2.5cm. I went on strict br and was remeasured and went to 3.7cm and funneling disappeared.  Now I'm on moderate bedrest.:) I have been getting checked every 2 weeks now and it seems to be holding at 3.2cm. I also just got the 1st steroid shot today and going back tomorrow. I'm in a similar situation to you. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. If you ever want to chat I'm here. Wishing you good CL.
Shanon

Mommaof3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012 at 09:32 PM »
I might be able to provide some reassurance for you! At 20 weeks it was discovered that I had a short cervix and I was immediately put on strict bedrest and sent to a high risk doctor. When I went into see them they checked my cervix and I was already dilated to 2 and 70% thinned at 22 weeks. My husband knew about cerclages and asked why wasn't I getting one and they said it was too late because of the dilation and what not. My husband left our first appointment with the high risk doctors in tears because he was full of questions and they were all answered with no sugar coating. The doctor told us we wouldn't make it until full term and she said she was pretty sure we wouldn't even make it 2 more weeks! I got 2 rounds of steroids, one at 23 weeks and again at 28 weeks. I was in the hospital for 7 weeks total (when I was 28 weeks I went into labor and dilated to 5 and 80%) and it was exhausting. The entire time the high risk doctors made sure that I knew that I wasn't making it full term and I could have the baby any day. It was my third pregnancy and the first two were only a little early. I was let out of the hospital at 34 weeks and got to go home! I made it to 37 weeks and 4 days =) It was my first full term pregnancy and for 37 weeks I was told I was NOT making it full term and I just proved everyone wrong! It is possible so please don't get discouraged... Having a baby at the end of this journey will make it all worth it! I wish you good luck and I know you can make it through this craziness!!!
Child #1: Born at 35 weeks, heatlhy
Child #2: Born at 34 weeks, healthy
Child #3: Short Cervix at 21 weeks, strict bedrest for 3 months, 7 weeks of which were hospitalized, dilated to 5 at 28 weeks, baby born at 37 weeks and perfect =)

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012 at 09:06 PM »
Hi, DNA! We haven't heard from you in a while. How are you doing? Had any cervix measurements recently? Any contractions or cramping?

DNAincubator

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012 at 01:36 PM »
Hi everyone!
Thanks for the replies. We're still hanging in there, I am 27 weeks now. In one week I went from 2.1 to 2.0 and the funneling was the same so no significant change. Yesterday I was checked and they did multiple measurements. My cervical length was 1.6 to 1.8 (they did 6 measurements and that was the range). No real change on funneling. I'm still on p17 and bed rest and I am just hoping I can make it to 32 or beyond. I'm not cramping or anything but I have had some mucus globs come out of me. My cervix is not dilated though. I go back next week. I really hope I can avoid hospital bedrest.

shan2250

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012 at 11:18 PM »
Glad to hear you are still hanging in there! I am too! 28 weeks and just checked today. My cervix is holding at 2.4 and I'm still on home modified bed rest. I am looking forward to 32 weeks as well. I know we can do it. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Shanon

DNAincubator

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012 at 06:41 PM »
Good luck Shanon, I hope we can keep this going :)

I am at the end of week 28 and today I measured 1.3 so my cervix is slowly losing length. There is more funneling but I am just doing what I've been doing. Staying on p17, being a couch potato and keeping my fingers crossed. This is so hard with a 5 year old, 4 year old and an 8 month old. I really love my doctor days though. I get to get out of the house and I get to go through the dunkin donuts drive thru on the way home from the doctor :) I really hope I can make it to 32 weeks. I go back next Monday for another scan and I'll keep everyone posted. I have been reading a lot on this site, I need to post more.

DNAincubator

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012 at 02:02 PM »
Another update. Woke up bleeding yesterday and my cervix changed overnight. I am now 0.9cm and dilated to 3. My fetal fibronectin test was positive. This sucks.

cercmum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012 at 12:57 PM »
So sorry to hearr this but its not written in stone that baby will definitely come after a positive ffn, just continue with resr and whatever orders your Dr gives and hopefully you can cook for a few more weeks. Fingers and toes crossed for you!

DNAincubator

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012 at 12:49 AM »
Hi everyone
I had my baby two days ago (in my 29th week). He was 3 pounds 4 ounces and 16 inches long. I am totally in love with him.
I posted my story in the tell us your story section. :)

http://forum.keepemcookin.com/index.php?topic=2557.0