Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Site Newbie-28 weeks today! 6 weeks of bedrest down. BP and Placenta trouble  (Read 4095 times)

HollyT

• View Profile
Hi Everyone,

This site was recommended to me during my recent two week hospital stay after a bout of bleeding at 25 weeks.    This is my fifth pregnancy.  We have two beautiful daughters who turned 7 and 10 this past week.  I had my oldest at 36 weeks after being induced bc of pre-eclampsia.  Our second was a normal, boring pregnancy with no complications.  Those were the days!  :)  We've had two miscarriages after that leading to our current pregnancy with girl number 3.  Violet is due 10/15 but is trying hard to get here early.  I do have Chronic Hypertension but no other medical problems. 

At 22 weeks I woke up early in the morning to find that I was spotting.  About a hour later I started having some cramping on the right side of my abdomen.  I was seen first thing that am at the OB's office.  A cervical scan showed that I had a pocket of blood outside my cervix that would continue to cause some drainage for a few days.  The doctor also showed me that my placenta had started to detach in area.  I went on on bedrest, terrified, and not knowing what to expect.    I saw my OB at 23 weeks.  He repeated the ultrasound, said he could no longer see the pocket of fluid and that he could not see the placenta detatching.  He again advised me to be on bedrest as much as possible but suggested that things were better.   He even said it was ok to go on Vacation at the end of my 26th week from Ohio to California.   

At 25 weeks I was reading in bed when I felt a gush of fluid similar to what woke me three weeks prior.  I quickly got out of bed and realized that this time it wasn't spotting but blood.  We were instructed to go to the hospital.  By the time we got there the bleeding had increased.   They again couldn't see any trouble with the placenta on ultrasound... but it was awesome to see that Violet was ok.  They admitted me and kept me at this hospital for about 48 hours before transferring me to a Regional Medical Center with a higher level NICU.  Then the waiting began.  Hours would go by with no bleeding then would start again-- almost always at night or by early morning.    The most frustrating part was that different doctors in the practice would tell me one thing one day and then another would come and contradict the doctor from the day before.   The first and second week I was told that I would be in the hospital until my delivery bc they didn't know when or if the placenta would completely detach.  The beginning of the next week I was told that it was safe to go home bc it wasn't my placenta the bleeding was bc of my chronic hypertension.  The emotional roller coaster of not knowing what was the best decision was making me crazy! (There is also one specific doc in the practice that I really don't care for either...)  I came last  Monday at 27 weeks and have my first follow up appt today.  I know my BP is not staying down despite living on the couch or secluding myself in my bedroom.  I am scared they will send me back.  Being at home is much better... of course, if it's necessary I will survive at the hospital.  I think.

I'm very comforted to find a place where others are going through similar situations.  I am sorry that you are.. but glad to have company.   My appt is in a hour!  Pray my BP is good for both Violet and me!

Holly

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Hey there, Holly! I'm glad you heard about our group! How did your appointment go on Monday? How's your BP?

HollyT

• View Profile
Hi Angela.  Thanks for checking on us.  I did get  sent to the hospital for monitoring and bloodwork but was able to return home the same evening.  Holding steady for now!

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Glad to hear you were able to come back home! Have the had you do a 24-hour urine test yet? What a joy that is!  :P Has your OB talked to you about a medication to reduce your blood pressure, in order to get you a few more weeks  of cookin'? Or all you already on meds for your chronic hypertension? Of course, they have to balance that decision with your blood work--especially your creatinine level, which measures how well your kidneys are working.

Keep me posted, and don't hesitate to call your doc with any changes or new symptoms.

HollyT

• View Profile
We made it to 29 weeks today.   :)  I do take BP meds and have had several 24 urine collections completed in July.  You are exactly right.  We are trying to keep cooking while balancing the BP and bloodwork.  I have to go back on Thursday this week for more bloodwork and ultrasound.  Of course they will check my BP too.  Each appt I am spilling more protein in my urine. My BP is holding steady... 140/90.  Not good but not horrible...yet.    My OB is hoping we can make it 2-5 more weeks before we are forced to deliver.  I check 3-4 my BP times daily.  I will definitely let him know if it is too elevated or if I am having other specific symptoms.  Thx for your encouragement!

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
I'm pulling for you! 29 weeks is a biggie, and EVERY day counts. Keep taking it easy and checking your BP.  :)

bloom

• View Profile
Holly I'm glad to hear that you are 29 weeks already. Hold in there, as Angela said every day it is important.
Good luck with everything :)

HollyT

• View Profile
Just wanted to update...    I had to go back to the hospital last Tuesday.  They began treating me for severe pre-eclampsia including using magnesium.  By Thursday evening they decided we could no longer wait and delivered us by c-section.   Violet Joy was born weighing 2 lbs and 10 oz at thirty weeks and three days.  She is doing wonderful and has been since the moment she arrived.  She is six days old today and off  cpap for 24 hours now.  They anticipate she'll get rid of her IV in another day or two.  She's even begun to gain a little weight back.

Thank you for all the encouragement while on bedrest!   It was very helpful and inspiring to know that others were fighting the same fight to keep our little miracles growing.  I hope all of you are blessed to keep your little ones cooking as long as possible.  It is worth it and you CAN do it!