Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Violet Joy is here!  (Read 2448 times)

HollyT

• View Profile
Violet Joy is here!
« on: August 20, 2012 at 07:44 PM »
We made it to 30 weeks and 3 days before being forced to deliver due to severe pre-eclampsia.  She was 2 lb. 10 oz. and 15.5 inches at birth.  Violet is 12 days old today and doing great!  She is still in the NICU-- we've got a lot of weight to gain but we're back above her birth weight.  She is even trying to nurse-- not for nutrition-- but still sucking while being tube fed. 

Thank you everyone for your stories and encouragement.  It is very helpful to know you're not the only one trying to keep our little ones cooking.  Remember every day counts.  My doc told me one day in the womb is three our babies don't have to spend in the NICU.  Hang in there!  You can keep your little ones cooking! :)

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: Violet Joy is here!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012 at 10:02 PM »
Congratulations, Holly! With your history of preeclampsia and the rocky road you had as early as 22 weeks, this is great news! Of course I am so sorry you have to face the NICU and all the uncertainty that it brings, but you really did an amazing job keeping Violet cooking as long as you did. Have you tried nursing? (Just curious.) I know you have other children at home, but be sure to get as much skin-to-skin time with Violet as you can. That will really help her to gain weight, have a more stable heart rate, and keep making those essential brain connections. And dads can do skin-to-skin (also called kangaroo care) too!

How are YOU feeling? Has your BP returned to normal? Are they still doing bloodwork, especially checking your kidney function?

Sending hugs to you all!
Angela

P.S. Here's a great link about Kangaroo Care: http://www.justmommies.com/articles/kangaroo-care-preemies.shtml