Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 16wks, Twins, Contractions, Abdominal Cerclage  (Read 7474 times)

womanthatrolls

• View Profile
16wks, Twins, Contractions, Abdominal Cerclage
« on: August 27, 2012 at 08:49 AM »
Hi all - I'm 16w2d with twins and I've been having contractions for a week now. I started my P17 last week, but I'm not sure how much good it really is doing. My doc watned to take as many precautions as he could even though I'm carrying multiples. I do have an abdominal cerclage placed as well. Last week I went in for two exams. Both the manual and the u/s revealed my cervix was closed, firm, hand good length and no funnel so I felt encouraged. My cramping has been relieved with Tylenol. Yesterday, though, I had tightenings all day long and I'm worried that if they can check my cervix today, there will be a change and labor will have began. I lost my twins last year to IC/PTL and I'm freaking out that the abdominal cerclage was not the answer.

I'm just looking for some encouragement if anyone has any.

finny303

• View Profile
Re: 16wks, Twins, Contractions, Abdominal Cerclage
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012 at 10:09 AM »
Sorry for your previous loss.  I believe in bedrest!  It has worked for me so far.  I have had contractions staring at 19 weeks.  I was not put on bedrest at the time.  I continued to work and my cervix changed to 3.5 cm and I was 1 cm dilated.  Even then my Dr just told me to take it easy and did not pull me out of work.  That week my husband had to go away for one week on business and I worked and took care of my 2.5 year old all by myself.  The following week my cervix shortened to 2.5 cm and that bought me an ambulance ride to a larger hospital where I stayed for 5 days.  Still my Dr told me just take it easy and my cervix shortened to 1.8 cm.  So I switched Dr.s and she put me on bedrest and total pelvic rest.  Since then my cervix has remained the same.  I do notice that the more I rest the less contractions I have. 
Also what has helped me is listening to some pregnancy relaxation CD's.  I downloaded some off of iTunes and truly, truly it has helped my state of mind relax and that has a direct effect on relaxing my body. 
Keep us updated and try to calm the mind the best you can.  REST REST REST.  Good luck.

Allison

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012 at 08:50 PM »
Are you familiar with the website Abbyloopers.org ?  It is a website for women with abdominal cerclages.  I have one placed as well but just started trying to get pregnant.  There are many women there carrying twins with contractions from very early on as well.  Most carry to full term.  Good luck to you and your sweet babies! 

Allison
Mom to RJ born at 36.5 days bed rest from31 weeks on
Mom to Dylan born at 35.4 weeks tvc placed at 13 weeks, bed rest from27 weeks on
Abdominal cerclage placed in December 2011
Currently trying to conceive

abby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012 at 10:16 PM »
I also had twins and was going about my daily life at a retail management job, workouts included until I started having braxton hicks at 24 weeks.  All of the sudden they were all the time and I went to my doctor and they found funnelling and shortening, down to 1.7.  Spent the night in L&D and was sent home on modified bed rest.  Bed rest did the trick and my cervix did not shorten anymore after that.  Contractions would come and go but were kept calm with procardia.  I was never put on strict bed rest, only taking it easy at home in the recliner.  At 34 weeks when released I did everything in my power to try and get them out and they stayed in til 37 weeks and were 6lb 11oz and 7lb 5oz.  Bed rest works, so hang in there.  it's not worth it to find out otherwise. 
Bedrest Graduate
Identical Twins born at 37 Weeks
14 Weeks of Bedrest

womanthatrolls

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012 at 01:30 PM »
Just wanted to give an update. I'm currently 26 + 1 on medical leave from work and bedrest at home. My only outings are my weekly doctor appointments to check the cervical length, which we are doing all manual and no TVU at this point. My doc isn't giving me my length but I know I have effaced a lot, but it is closed. He can feel Baby A when he palpates my cervix. I do have a little length left and the cerclage is holding tight. I'm on terbutaline 4x daily to keep my contractions away, and it is helping a lot. 6 more days till 27 weeks!