Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Short Cervix :(  (Read 4132 times)

TWINS38

• View Profile
Short Cervix :(
« on: September 07, 2012 at 01:10 PM »
Hello ladies, thank you for letting me join.  I am really terrified and looking for hope and inspirational stories. Yesterday as I read to many of your success stories I got more relax :) ok so Here's a bit of my story.

I am 38 yo and first pregnancy with girl boy twins :). Everything was good up until my 16w5d visit with my MFM. He discovered I had a short cervix and was funneling :( cervix is closed and amniotic fluid is fine, babies hbs are fine and they are very active :) So at first I didn't know what to think cause I was unaware of this conditions..but as I begin to ask quesions and did some googling I knew it was somethng serious. So on 8/23 16w5d cervix was at 1.9 and at 8/28 17w3d cervix was at 1.7 :( So my MFM  we must do a cervical cerclage. I was admitted to the hospital at 5am and by 7am I was in surgery. I have been on strict bed rest since the 8/23 and hanging on. Now I only can get out of bed to go potty and back to bed, which I don't mind as long as my babies stay in the oven cooking as long as possible. I went for my follow up yesterday 9/6 and my cerclage looks good it's in place but my cervix was at 1.4 :( but he said that I shouldn't worried about it, cause my cervix could measured differently every day. So I'll take his word for it and will trust him. I have no cramping and bleeding stopped the very next day after surgery so I'm happy for that. Will just have to wait till 9/20 for my appt. and see if there's any changes with my cervix. I am really scared to loose my babies I have waited sooooooooooo many years for this miracle to take place. Please ladies Need lots of positive stories help me please. MFM said we are trying to  get to 24wks and then talk about medications :( I am just hoping and praying I make it to full term. ANY ADVICE WILL BE APPRECIATED..THANK YOU IN ADVACE 
IC 16w5d CL1.9 put on Home SBR
8/30/12 Cervical Cerclage @ 17w5d
10/4/12 hospital SBR @ 22w5d
Celestone shots at 23w and 23w1d (steriod shots)
TWINS BOY GIRL
EDD 2/2/13

sbough

• View Profile
Re: Short Cervix :(
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012 at 08:53 PM »
First of all.... you are doing great.  Your Dr's are doing everything they can.  A lot of people with twins go through this.  I am not having twins but I would think the weight of twins has got to be hard on that cervix. 

This is a day to day celebration.  Everyday the babies are in is a day to celebrate.  This is how I am getting through.  I wake up and say, alright, another day down. 

The fact that you are not showing any other signs of labor is really good too.  I'm 37 years old and this is my first and I completely understand about how long you have waited for this.  It has taken me a good 3 weeks to get used to all this.  I was put on bed rest at 27 weeks with my cervix measuring at 1.6 cm and is open at .5cm.  I am now at 30 weeks.  What I am discovering is that there are a lot of other things in place to keep this baby inside me. 

Us being on bed rest.. well we are just helping our cervixes (sp) and giving them a break and allowing all the other parts do their job to keep baby in place.  We are being natural incubators.  Keep reading stories on this site and there are other resources on this site too.  I think I saw in one of the postings a meditation for bed rest that you can stream. 

Also being on bed rest you can know that you are doing everything you can for your babies.  Drink lots of water.  This is a long road and it isn't easy but you are doing great.  You really are. 

TWINS38

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012 at 01:23 PM »
sbough: congrats on your 30w mark :) I cant wait to be there myself!!! I'm 19w0d today..YAY!!!!! since they found out that I had IC at 16+5. Thank you for replying and your encouraging words. I really need all the emotional support I can get. I know God will take us to term. I try to drink as much liquid as I can, I intake 72oz daily. Semding you lots of blessings. xoxo
TWINS BOY GIRL
EDD 2/2/13

sbough

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012 at 05:12 PM »
Yay for 19 weeks!!! I would love to hear your progress.  And it is progress!

bloom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012 at 01:20 PM »
Twin38
Try to stay positive. I'll tell my story hopefully you'll feel better.
It was 3 years we were trying to have baby N. 2, we had three miscarriages, and a negligent doctor (at one of the best hospital here in Chicago) ruined my cervix due to  5 D&Cs. Twice he left a piece of placenta during the procedure and I had to have multiple D&Cs.
Anyway that history.
In March I got pregnant again and switched to a great doctor.
At 15 weeks it was a Thursday, during a regular check up, the doctor found my cervix shorter and a little soft, so she scheduled my cerclage for the next Monday.
On Saturday afternoon, I was at the park with  my 4 years old and my belly dropped. I started to feel a lot of pressure. I went to bed but even with the rest the pressure didn't stop. I knew something was wrong
On Monday I didn't tell the doctor because I was afraid she wouldn't do the cerclage, so during the procedure the doctor told me that my cervix was closed but basically gone. I had no more cervix. She did a miracle, pulled back my cervix and placed the cerclage.
I was on strict bed rest for 5 weeks, at my 20 weeks ultrasound they checked my cervix and it was 3.7 cm long (normal). I continued to bed rest and at my 26 weeks ultrasound the same 3.7 cm long.
Now I'm almost 30 weeks my cervix is been soft but stable since my cerclage, and I start to feel more confident. The doctor explained to me that once the cervix gets soft stays soft, but stable is what we are looking for.

I've been seen my doctor every week since the cerclage for checks up and progesterone shots.
I still have 5 more weeks to reach 35, but i feel much better now that i'm 30.

Try to rest, I really think it helps and good luck :) you can make it :)

TWINS38

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012 at 05:59 PM »
bloom:

Wow amazing!!!!!!! very encouraging story thank you so much for sharing. And also congrats on your 30w mark :) did you lay down a special way while on strict bed rest? I am trying all my best to keep my 2 lil miracles cookin :) and so far so good. I'm 19+4 today..yay!!! My MFM tells me that my cervix will not get any longer :( but I'ved read so many stories stating otherwise (like yours for example) SO WILL PRAY FOR MINE AS WELL!! Keep me  posted :)
TWINS BOY GIRL
EDD 2/2/13

twins

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012 at 12:04 AM »
Hi,

I am a bed rest graduate with boy girl twins who are about to turn one! My story is very similar, at 20 weeks my cervix was around 2 cm I was pit on bed rest and a week later it was 1.2 cm. I was admitted for an emergency cerclage and made it to 33 weeks and 4 days with strict bed rest! You can dot it!
Natural boy/girl twins!!
EDD November 1, 2011 (based on 38 weeks)
Bed rest at 20 weeks for cervical shortening
Cerclage placed at 21 weeks after further shortening
13 weeks and 1 day of strict bed rest and Mario and Amelia made their appearance at 33 weeks and 4 days on October 1, 2011!

TWINS38

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012 at 01:14 PM »
Twins:

Yay!!! If you can do it, I can do it!!!!! I message you back i hope it went through. THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR STORY!
TWINS BOY GIRL
EDD 2/2/13