Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Questions about progesterone and what form it's in  (Read 5025 times)

Kmm05

• View Profile
Questions about progesterone and what form it's in
« on: September 03, 2012 at 10:18 AM »
A little background first and then I'll get to my question(s).  My first daughter was born 1 day shy of 36 weeks.  My water broke and she was born 10 hours later.  I was told it was just a fluke that she was early, no big deal, it won't happen again.  Then last year I was pregnant with my second daughter.  I had my first pre-term labor scare at 24 weeks, things calmed down for a couple of weeks and then went rapidly downhill at 28 weeks.  I again started having regular contractions, had a positive fFN, got steroid shots and was in and out of the hospital and was on strict bedrest for the next 5 weeks.  That was when I found out about this site and it was an absolute lifesaver.  I don't know how I would have made it through that time without the support I got here.  Anyway, despite all our efforts, my daughter was born at 33 weeks 2 days.  She spent 36 days in the NICU, mostly trying to master eating and gaining.  She is now an amazing, sassy 7 month old who has just learned to crawl.  Okay, finally to my question.  I am (very) unexpectedly pregnant again, now 13 weeks.  With my last pregnancy I had a short cervix, so my OB has said we will keep an eye on it this time and has mentioned the possibility of progesterone in some form, either the shots or gel.  I'm curious to find out what your experiences have been with one vs the other.  I think I remember seeing when I was here before that some people started with shots and then switched to the gel, I think because of the cost issue.  But if anyone has done that did you notice a difference in anything?  Did one seem to work just as well as the other?  I'm also wondering about the side effects, and if one has any more or less than the other.  I have an appointment with a high risk OB later this week so I'm hoping to know more then, but I also want to hear about it from someone who's actually been through it.  Along with monitoring the length of my cervix and the possible use of progesterone my OB has told me that she will likely put me off work by 20 weeks as a precaution.  And of course I know that bed rest is a definite possibility at any point in time.  Is there anything else we're missing that I should ask about doing?  I want to give this baby the best possible chance to cook as long as possible. 

Sorry this was so long and thanks for any input you might be able to give me.

~Kari

bush_woman187

• View Profile
Re: Questions about progesterone and what form it's in
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012 at 03:10 PM »
hello.  i have never made it past 19 weeks, where i am now...but, this pregnancy i had a cerclage placed at 12 weeks, and i also started progesterone shots at around 13 weeks.  before that, since 3 weeks pregnancy, i was on progesterone 200 mg twice a day inserted vaginally.  they stopped that because of the discomfort and discharge.  it irritated me a bit.  i have done the progesterone shots now for 5 weeks now and i can't speak to how well they work, but i have heard the shots are a little more potent than the suppositories. 

i would have your cervical length measured at least every 1-2 weeks.  once you get past a certain point in pregnancy, they will no longer do a cercalge, so you have to stay on top of it, in case you need one down the line. 

wishing you luck with your little one.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012 at 04:09 PM »
Hi, Kari. Welcome back! Hope to see you here for many MANY weeks!

I wanted to direct you to some information about the progesterone shots and the progesterone gel (Procheive). Prochieve is currently used by some obstetricians off-label for women with a short cervix in the second trimester. The FDA has not approved progesterone gel for preventing preterm birth, but many studies have shown it is successful. Please see the article here (http://www.keepemcookin.com/news.aspx) dated 12-15-11 for info on it's effectiveness. The use of vaginal progesterone gel in women with a short cervix but no preterm labor symptoms has been shown to reduce the risk of preterm birth prior to 33 weeks by 42 percent, compared to a placebo.  The articles above the one I mention are more current and discuss the status of the FDA approval.

For information on the 17P shots, please see the heading "PROGESTERONE INJECTIONS AND SUPPOSITORIES" on this page: http://www.keepemcookin.com/prevention.aspx In one large study, women in the 17P group had 34 percent fewer premature births than women given the placebo, and there was a reduction of 42 percent in the rate of preterm births before 32 weeks.

You can see that both options have had good results, but it will be up to you and your OB is best for your situation. Keep us posted!

Angela

Kmm05

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012 at 01:17 PM »
bush_woman187   Thank you for sharing your experience (so far) with both kinds of progesterone.  I hope things continue to go well for you.

Angela, thanks for the links to the information.  At this point I think I"m leaning more toward the shots but of course want to hear what the doctor feels will be the best option.  My appointment is later this afternoon, so we will hopefully have a good plan in place very soon to keep this little one cooking.

Meghan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012 at 03:52 PM »
I had twins at 31 weeks and a singleton one day shy of 36 weeks (just like you).  I took the progesterone shots (17p) without problems starting at 22 weeks.  I got the shots until 36 weeks and had my baby at 38 weeks (13 days after my last shot).  I did have preterm labor symptoms throughout the later part of my pregnancy but the shots prevented my cervix from changing.  I am certain they prevented another preterm birth for me.  I don't mind sharing what we paid for them... $1200 out of pocket... but that is still cheaper than a NICU stay!!!  Congratulations on your newest pregnancy and best wishes!
02-16-2009 - Identical twin boys born at 31 weeks, 19 day in NICU
07-31-2010 - DS born at 36 weeks
07-04-2012 - DD born at 38+4 weeks, progesterone shots since 22 weeks, born 13 days after last shot

kinderroomcafe

• http://kinderroomcafe.tumblr.com
    • View Profile
    • The Kinder Room Cafe - bed rest blog
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012 at 09:20 AM »
Here (in Australia) no one (ok my Ob) seems to have heard of the injections - we just have the gel and the suppositories.  Is there anyone out there who might know where to get the injections (even though I really really hate needles?)
Blogging about Bed Rest: http://kinderroomcafe.tumblr.com