Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Recent Dx of Shortening Cervix, placed on bedrest at 25 Weeks  (Read 6003 times)

SusanFLA

• View Profile
Recent Dx of Shortening Cervix, placed on bedrest at 25 Weeks
« on: February 05, 2009 at 04:38 AM »

I just had my one week follow up since my OB put me on bedrest for a week due to my cervix being 1 cm, not good news.  Apparently I am still at shy of 1 cm, which is not normal at 25 weeks.  But what is normal, is my question?  There is very few studies as I am founding out about pre-term threating labor, and the actual numbers of woman who follow their OB's advice of bedrest or continuing with their activites of daily living modified, I am sure.  Also their is very little research that the bedrest indeed prolongs and further complications.  Don't get me wrong, I love my OB, I trust him, he is caring and we discuss my diagnosis and complications and treatment very candidly.  I just can't help but wonder, is this really the best thing for me.  Can I get by with modified bedrest? 
My son is six years old, so this will be my second child.  At 29 weeks I went into preterm labor.  I was working at the time when I felt heaviness in my lower abdomen, and the feeling did not subside.  To be honest, I don't really remember the minutes between contractions, I just remember it was not normal, so I called my OB and he sent me to the hospital.  I stayed over night for observation, and was let go the following day.  I received brethine for the contractions, and was sent home on an oral dose and  a strict order for bedrest by my high risk OB.  After discussing this with my regular OB, we decided on modified bedrest, due to the fact that I was a single mom, full time RN.  My job was extremely helpful, they gave me a charge nurse position most days that limited my lifting and physical activity.  I delivered my health baby boy at 39 weeks, he was perfect, thank god.  So my question is.......was my cervix short at that time?  I am thinking medically , yes.  Because contractions follow thinning of the cervix. 
Do we have substantial evidence that bedrest really does buy us time?  Medically, bedrest makes complete sense especially with a highly physical job or stressful job.  However, it bothers me that there is no studies.
Don't get me wrong!  At this point and time, I am not going to put my baby girl in harms way, I am on bedrest and taking indomethacin, and the doctor gave my two shots of Betamethasone just in case the baby comes early.  So meanwhile, I am keeping well hydrated , eating healthy, doing very modifed yoga to keep up my muscle tone, and reading and writing a lot.  I am so glad I found this forum, I look forward to exchanging stories with other moms to be.  Smiles, Susan.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: Recent Dx of Shortening Cervix, placed on bedrest at 25 Weeks
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009 at 11:35 PM »
Hi, Susan.
Welcome! It sounds like you are doing a GREAT job taking care of yourself and you little girl! I know, it really is frustrating that there aren't any specific studies on bed rest. I would love to see a retrospective study, to see how bed rest helped or not. Though I imagine it may be tough to get women to be honest about how strict they were (or not) if it was home bed rest. Personally, I really believe it works. During my months of bed rest, there were a few occasions where I just could not stay home. Within 24 hours of my best friend's wedding and again on my mom's b-day, I was at the hospital in preterm labor. If I come across any studies, I'll post something and let you know.

You may want to check out this link to see what is "normal" for cervical length. I did lots of research on the relationship between cervical length and preterm delivery: www.keepemcookin.com/prevention.aspx

But, don't let this information discourage you. I managed to get to 39 weeks although my cervix was measuring 1.5 cm at 24 weeks, and I was already dilating and effaced. Let this information empower you and remind you that the most important thing you can do for your daughter is to take care of yourself and stay off your feet. Gravity is the enemy!

And I agree with you that your cervix was probably short last time too. With my first pregnancy, I had my first signs of PTL at 29 weeks (really painful cramping) and then full-on PTL at 33 weeks, followed by mag and strict bed rest. With my second pregnancy, I had my first episode of PTL at 24 weeks (with contractions starting around 17 weeks). My doctor and I had expected it, and I had been preparing myself for the possibility.

Two questions for you: Are you on the 17P shots? And how is your son handling your bed rest?

I could go on forever. I'll shut up now. :+) Feel free to write anytime!

Hugs,
Angela

SusanFLA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009 at 02:23 AM »

Hi Angela,
Thanks for your reply!  Once again I am up in the wee hours of the morning.  I am not sure what is causing me to wake up, I guess I am getting plenty of sleep now that I am on bedrest.  Thanks for your input, I am taking it easy, I limit my shopping, and the doctor has obviously cut out my exercise routine.  With my first child, I rode my bike throughout my pregnancy and took yoga daily.  So now I am doing my yoga modified and with lots of rest between, so I am not on my feet to long. 
As far as the research goes, yes its very dissapointing.  I did research what the average cervical length for each week, but to be honest I really do not know how accurate it may be. I instead follow the pattern, cervical shortening can lead to pre term labor, effacing, etc.  So I know that I am at risk.  I am just praying to maitain at this point and keep the baby cooking, as you would say, lol.
I am on indomethacin TID and did receive the betamethasone shots to help stimulate the baby's lung surfactant, just in case she does come early. So far no contractions!  I go weekly for check ups and they to u/s and trans vag u/s and place me on a monitor to pick up and contractions, just in case I am not feeling them, I will keep you posted.  I appreciate the support and chat :)
Meanwhile, I am catching up on reading, writing e-mails, movies and lots of meditation!  My son Asher is doing great!  He is enjoying mom picking him up everyday, and not having to drag him out of bed at 615 to get to work at 645.  I am a single mom, so he has had to become very versatile with my schedule at the hospital.  I can't imagine how I am going to do it with the second one, lol.  I am fortunate to have a great job, and my son is very mature for his six years, and I know he will be a great help.  We are going to a class together geared for siblings next week, I know he will love it. 
I will keep in touch.  By the way, how old are your kids?
Smiles,
Sonia

tamikaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009 at 10:36 AM »
HI MY NAME IS TAMIKA AND I WAS READING YOUR STORY AND FOUND THAT IT IS SIMILIAR TO MINE. I HAVE HAD TO PRETERM DELIVERIES. MY FIRST CHILD WAS BORN AND 7 MONTHS AND THROUGH THE GRACE OF GOD HE WORE 5 LBS AND 8,7 OZ. ALTHOUGH HE WAS JAUNDICE AND HAD TO STAY IN THE HOSPITAL FOR A MONTH AFTER. WHICH COULD HAVE BEEN LONGER. THE DOCTOR SAY THAT I WAS A DEVOTED MOTHER. MY SISTER AND I STAYED IN THE NURSERY AFTER I WAS DISCHARGED LAYING ON THE FLOOR. AND THE FACT THAT IT WAS IN 2003 WHEN IN MARYLAND WE HAD THAT BIG SNOW STORM, A YEAR LATER I WAS PREGNANT WITH MY 2ND CHILD WHO WAS BORN AT 6 MONTHS AND DIED IN MY ARMS FROM MULTIPLE COMPLICATIONS. AND NOW 2009 IM CURRENTLY 30 WEEKS PREGNANT AND RELIEVED CAUSE I OVERCOME THE MONTHS THAT I HAD MY 2 PREVIOUS PREGNANCY. IM MORE INFORMED AND HAVE A WONDERFUL DOCTOR THAT IS DOING HER VEST TO PREVENT ME FROM HAVING ANOTHER PRETERM DELIVERY. MY CERVIX IS SHORTENING AND I WAS GIVEN TO SHOTS OF STEROID TO HELP DEVELOP HER LUNGS JUST IN CASE AND ALSO IS ON INDOCIN. IVE BEEN ON BEDREST FOR ABOUT THREE WEEKS NOW AND IS REALLY GOING CRAZY, IM SO USED TO WORKING. ALTHOUGH I MUST SAY I THINK IT IS WORKING. I HAVE NA HIGH RISK OBGYN AND A REGULAR OBGYN. BOTH ARE DOING A GREAT JOB. IN ONE WEEK IVE BEEN TO LABOR AND DELIVERY 2 DAYS IN A ROW. MY CONTRACTIONS ARE 10 MIN APART BUT THEY GAVE ME SOMETHING TO STOP THEM. ALTHOUGH I STILL FEEL THEM ITS NOT AS BAD AS BEFORE. FOR ANY CONVERSATION TO HELP WITH THIS WILL BE GREATLY ACCEPTED. SORRY IT S SO LONG BUT WA NTED TO GET IT OFF MY CHEST. I HAVE A WONDERFUL SUPPORT SYSTEM BUT MORE WONT HURT . HAVE A WONDERFUL AND BLESSED PREGNANCY,

TAMIKA
TAMIKA WILLIAMS
LOVING MOTHER OF 3

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009 at 10:38 AM »
Hi, Tamika.

Welcome to the board! I'm sorry to hear that your pregnancies have been so challenging,, especially with the loss of your child with your second pregnancy. I am very glad to hear you've already made it to 30 weeks, and it sounds like you have a good team of doctors. Feel free to write any time, or ask us our opinions, or just chat.

I know what you mean about getting all the support you can get! I had a case manager at the hospital who would call me every couple of weeks, and a home health nurse who would stop by once a week to give me 17P shots, and they were both absolutely wonderful! Even so, I still felt like I needed more support, especially from other women who had been through difficult pregnancies. Probably because the days on bed rest are SO long..

Are you on bed rest at home or in the hospital? How is your son handling having his mom on bed rest? You mentioned having a good support system. Do you have family near by or who can stay with you?

Talk soon,
Angela

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009 at 09:37 PM »
Hello there SusanFLA!

Just wanted to check in! Did you and your son do the sibling class yet? What did he think? And how do you feel about him becoming a brother? I know I was so nervous about my daughter (now 3) having to "share" me with our little guy. It's six months later and she's still testing  her boundaries (especially when I'm changing his diaper or giving him a bottle), but there are also times when they are SO cute together: smiling, tickling, giggling.

Talk soon,
Angela
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009 at 10:27 PM by Angela Davids »

SusanFLA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009 at 10:18 PM »
Hello Angela and Tamika,
Thanks for sharing your story Tamika, you are very brave! Sounds like things are going well for you, I am glad.  I have good news, my cervix is now measuring 2.5 cm, I was so happy, you can't even imagine.  Looks like the bedrest helped and the indomethacin. What a relief!  I am not out of the woods yet, but its very comforting to know the situation has improved.  The parenting class is for next week, I will let you know how my son likes it.  So far, he has been such a great help, and he really is excited about his new baby sister, although he still wishes it was a boy.  I think it is also very special for him to experience this pregnancy when he is old enough to understand most of it.  I told him children choose their mom and dad and god sends them to us.  He still is too young for the sex thing, lol.  He is the least of my worries, he is wonderful.  I know that he is going to make a good husband and dad  someday! 
Tamika make sure that you are on bedrest and take it easy!  I know its hard, I too am used to working full time, long hours.  But, having a healthy baby at this point is most important.  Take advantage of your support system, let someone shop for you, clean the house, etc.  It can all wait!  I am here if you need to vent or chat.  I just bought a new computer to help me enjoy my time on bedrest!  I have lots of books I am catching up on, and finishing some scrapbooks.   Take care.
Smiles,
Sonia

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009 at 10:31 PM »
Sonia,
So glad to hear the good news! The change in cervix length must really make you feel like you're doing all the right things for your little one.

Your son sounds so mature. It's amazing how well kids adapt. Talk soon!