Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Stopping progesterone?  (Read 13869 times)

carousel

• View Profile
Stopping progesterone?
« on: December 14, 2012 at 10:33 PM »
Hi ladies,

At my appointment today, my doctor mentioned I will soon be stopping the progesterone suppositories I'm on every night for a short cervix. I asked if this would more or less put me into labour and she said it could in the days following when I stop, but I was wondering what your experiences have been? After spending so much time trying to make sure the baby doesn't come, now I'm getting nervous about how quickly baby WILL come. Anyway, any insight you might have would be appreciated.

Thanks!

ficaelinn

• View Profile
Re: Stopping progesterone?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012 at 07:13 PM »
How many weeks are you?
Lil Bear, 6/05, 31 weeks
F-Bear, 11/09, 34 weeks (thank you 17p and procardia!)
Baby Boy Bear, due 4/13

carousel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012 at 08:54 AM »
I'll be 36 weeks on Thursday.  ;D

ficaelinn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012 at 11:02 AM »
Congrats on making it so far! I'm afraid I can't offer any insight, because DS was born before I stopped (I was having the weekly injections). But you're in the safe zone now!
Lil Bear, 6/05, 31 weeks
F-Bear, 11/09, 34 weeks (thank you 17p and procardia!)
Baby Boy Bear, due 4/13

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012 at 10:12 PM »
Many of the women I've known on here have had contractions kick in within a day or two of stopping the suppositories, but it could be days or still weeks until Baby arrives! Let's get you to 37 weeks, and then you can go wild!  ;D Where do you want to go first? Shopping? A certain restaurant?

carousel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012 at 08:38 AM »
If I do go into labour within a few days, I won't make it to 37 weeks (which I have to admit, is a little disappointing for selfish reasons of wanting to have a few days where I can be "normal" before baby is born). If I DO make it (fingers crossed!), I'd like to do a few things like go to a store and pick out a special newborn outfit to bring the baby home in and get my haircut (sooo annoying to have not had it cut in months!). I'd also like to go to brunch with my husband. It's something we used to do as a date fairly often, but obviously not in the last little while! It would also be fun to go see a movie, but it might be tough to fit all that stuff in! Only time will tell!

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012 at 09:02 AM »
Hi, Carousel! I know that as of Thursday you were still cooking, but I thought for those who are following this post they may want to hear an update from you too! Have you had more contractions since going off the progesterone? Any more dilating? When's your next appointment?

Can't wait to hear your birth story! Congrats again on 37 weeks and counting!

Angela

carousel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012 at 09:27 AM »
Hi Angela!

It's Sunday morning and I'm still cooking. I've been off the progesterone suppositories for more than a week now and off bedrest since Thursday, which is also when I had my last doctor's appointment. Because of the holidays, I did not see my regular doctor, but another resident doctor from the practice (who has the same supervising doctor). The resident didn't offer to do an internal exam, so I can't tell you if I'm dilated any further or anything like that. Quite honestly, if she had offered, I'd have said "is it necessary?" I've had so many over the past weeks, it's nice to sort of not worry about it. Finally, I've reached the stage where ignorance is bliss! I would not have felt that way earlier! My next appointment is this coming Thursday.

I have not noticed an increase in my contractions, which remain frequent but painless, as they always have been. Sometimes they still catch my breath a little, but no different than before. What I do notice is sore thighs, lower belly, back and groin! I have been horizontal for so long that my muscles are weak. I'm trying to get out and about a little more each day to build up some stamina. Even sitting for long periods is tiring. I went to see the Hobbit with my husband last night, and after 3 hours, my back sure was sore! I can't remember the last time I sat upright for 3 hours straight! That being said, I feel so blessed to be having this kind of problem, because it means we made it! :)

niana

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013 at 11:35 PM »
Congrats on making it so far! I'm afraid I can't offer any insight, because DS was born before I stopped (I was having the weekly injections). But you're in the safe zone now!