Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Is my hospital bedrest necessary? What's your story with it?  (Read 2393 times)

Shannond

• View Profile
Is my hospital bedrest necessary? What's your story with it?
« on: November 17, 2012 at 04:05 PM »
So I'm on hospital bedrest, admitted until "either baby comes, or you are 34 weeks". I am at 29 weeks +3.

Reading this forum it sounds like some people are able to go home on bedrest.  I was on home bedrest since 20 weeks with a 1.5 cm cervical length. I went into labor at 29 weeks but we stopped it with 2 days if magnesium. I'm off now, and just hanging out at 4.5 cm dilated, and .7cm short cervix. I've been stable for 3 days in the hospital even with some contractions.

So I'm wondering if I should push to go home? Or if there are meds that i could take to keep stalling labor. I am on 17P shots, but thats it.
On the one hand it is very reassuring having the NICU right down the hall (!)
But I'm desperately unhappy. I miss my toddler son. And I'm doubting my ability to stay sane here staring at these pink walls ;are all OB wards pink?!) I have to be careful with my family's history of depression, I can already feel it getting ahold of me.

I'm willing to do whatever it takes, but can't help questioning my docs choices (no other meds, and keeping me admitted).
Anyone have a similar story or different perspective? Am I crazy to push to go home?
Thanks!

angie26

• View Profile
Re: Is my hospital bedrest necessary? What's your story with it?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012 at 01:07 AM »
No you are not crazy for wanting to go home at all.  I was in the hospital for 3 weeks and tried to tell the dr after the first week that I think I could go home now. :-) I was 3 to 4 cm dailated the whole time.  One of the reasons they wouldn't let me go home cause I wouldn't let them check me unless I felt a change.  At first I thought the food was great after that I was so sick of the same thing over and over again.  Also someone before me carved either hell or help into the shower wall either way I new what they ment.  You start to get jealous of people in prison atleast they get yard time. :-)  But after its all over it is worth it if I didnt have the 3 weeks I may not have my happy healthy 29 weeker who is now 3.  If you are already dialated it won't take too long to get to 10 cm. And when you get home are you going to be worried the whole time if you are in labor? And are you going to wonder if you are really in labor or if it somthing else?  I know it has to be killing you with your toddler at home.  Everytime I went into my dr appt I would start crying if fear they were going to put me in the hospital. We live over an hour away from nicu. Your only a couple months away hang in there. It will all be over soon. 
DS 10-27-09
PTL 26 weeks
3 weeks hospital br
Born at 29 weeks

Current DD
Due date Feb 5 2013
23 weeks cervix 2.3 funneling
24 weeks cervix 1.5 funneling
on bed rest at home

JacErnst

• View Profile
Re: Is my hospital bedrest necessary? What's your story with it?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012 at 08:52 AM »
I totally understand how hard it can be to sit in the hospital and wait, but to be completely honest I would!

I went into labour at 29+1 and spent 72 hours in the ICU and a week on the ward. They sent me home and 2 weeks after I was home I was in labour again and they couldn't get to it fast enough to stop it well enough and my son was born at 32+2. The speculation is that if they had kept me in they might have caught things sooner and we may have made it longer.

You're further dilated and more effaced than I was when I left the hospital.

I would do anything to have had G cook for more time. Please consider that.

How far away from the hospital are you? less than 5 minutes? if not I would stay. after being through the other side of it and going home I would have pushed to stay .
www.babEblessings.com
proud momma to Grayson born Jan 30 2011 at 32+3
babE2 due April 16, 2013
Proud NICU survivor