Author Topic: Amniotic fluid - how can you tell if it is slowly leaking?  (Read 38827 times)

isabelsmama

• Abigaile Grace - our angel baby
    • View Profile
Amniotic fluid - how can you tell if it is slowly leaking?
« on: November 19, 2012 at 01:17 AM »
For those of you who have had amniotic fluid slowly leaking in any pregnancy, how could you tell? What did it look like/smell like, what sensations did you have that led you to believe it might be leaking? I have a risk of that happening and am trying to figure out what to be watching for, without freaking myself out too much!  I have been bleeding for two weeks so I would assume, would it be pink, since there is blood mixed into my amniotic fluid right now? Will they test for this routinely if they are that worried about it happening early in the pregnancy (I am receiving my care at a high risk perinatology clinic now)?
Proud mama of Isabel (12-2007, 38wks), Josiah (01-2010, 32wks), and angel baby Abigaile Grace (23w1d). Large retroplacental blood clot / subchorionic hemmorhage caused me to bedrest for Weeks 21 & 22, and we delivered Abbie by c-section on 11/26/2012 and she went to heaven 10 hours later. </3

Mpaul

• View Profile
Re: Amniotic fluid - how can you tell if it is slowly leaking?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012 at 12:07 AM »
For me initially it was this clear jelly like discharge.   Since then it has been yellow or clear.   They say sometimes it is pink.  The main thing they are concerned about is if it's green then it could indicate infection.   Not sure if they check you regularly.  I honestly almost did not get it checked.  I was checked several times during my other pregnancies but it turned out to be urine

Sorry I was not much help.   Something just told me to get checked since it was different.   

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: Amniotic fluid - how can you tell if it is slowly leaking?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012 at 10:09 PM »
Hi, isabelsmama!

There's some info here that may help you to tell the difference between leaking amniotic fluid and leaking urine: http://www.keepemcookin.com/talk.aspx Scroll down nearly to the bottom of the page.

The good news is that your OB or the Labor & Delivery department have a few ways to check for leaking amniotic fluid. The docs can do an AmniSure test, or they can do what is called a "ferning" test (that they review under a microscope) to see if amniotic fluid is present. They may also put some of the discharge on a pH strip to determine if it is urine or amniotic fluid.

Why are you at greater risk for leaking?