Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Nifedipine/Procardia - your experiences?  (Read 14752 times)

Alice

• View Profile
Re: Nifedipine/Procardia - your experiences?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013 at 03:59 AM »
Hi Sara, 

Many thanks for the info, if I do end up taking Procardia I will be really careful about eating with it - good tip.   Here's hoping we all go to 36 weeks, but if not it's very heartening to hear your 25 weeker is fine.  Best of luck.

Alice
Lost beloved twin boys at 2 days, and one month, after preterm delivery at 27+4 in September 2010 and appalling medical care.

Healthy baby boy arrived at 33 weeks in July 2011 and is doing really well.

niana

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013 at 11:27 PM »
The nifedipine seemed to do the "trick" at the time while I was taking it because contractions were not an issue afterwards during my daily monitoring.  However, the dose i was on caused me to have extremely lowered blood pressure which caused me to pass out a few times.

ann003

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013 at 11:57 AM »
I'm still on Procardia (31w1d), but here is my input:

1. How many weeks pregnant were you when you were first prescribed it, and how long did you take it?  28w, told to take it as needed since my contractions come and go (but can be rather strong).  I'm still taking it. 

2. When did you end up delivering your baby?  n/a

3.  Why were you prescribed it?  Were you already having lots of contractions, or was it a preventative measure because you had previous preterm births?  I have an irritable uterus and my cervix has shortened to 2.8 cm.  I kept going in to L&D, but for the most part my contractions weren't productive.  However, my contractions were strong and consistent.   

4.  What dose were you given?  20 mg/4 hours or as needed

5.  Any other thoughts?  Because I only take it when I have contractions, I'm usually always laying down when I'm on it.  I'm definitely more cautious about getting up fast, etc.  I find that it gives me nausea, so I take it in conjunction with my Zofran.  Also, it causes constipation, so I've had to increase my dosage of stool softener.  But the Procardia works and it works fast, so it's worth it.