Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Incompetent Cervix and Cerclages  (Read 5289 times)

joates

Incompetent Cervix and Cerclages
« on: November 12, 2009 at 07:22 PM »
In 04/2009, I lost a baby girl at 20 weeks gestation due to incompetent cervix. I felt no dilation, and no real warning except some slight spotting and my water breaking. Fast forward to now, I am currently 21 weeks pregnant with a preventative cerclage at 14 weeks. My cervical length is now only 1.42 cm above the stitch, down from 4.77 cm 2 weeks ago.  I was on no restrictions, but now on strict bed rest and taking weekly progesterone shots. 

Anyone else have a similar story? Any successes?

mrsbani

• View Profile
Re: Incompetent Cervix and Cerclages
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009 at 01:21 AM »
Hang in there! My mom was on bedrest with my brother and my sister, due to an incompetent cervix. They not only made it full term, they were overdue! Stay down stay positive relax as much as you can and pray!!! I'm rooting for you!

Smily

• View Profile
    • Parenting Premmies
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009 at 10:45 PM »
All the best, sorry I can't offer any help....

I am surprised you werent on bedrest from early on, even with a stitch
Brendan 25/02/07 30+1 due to PPROM @ 28wks, Spontaneous Labour & Chorioamnionitis. His Apgar Scores were 2:4 W1545gms (3lb 6oz)
Tristan 19/06/09 34+3 due to Spontaneous Labour. His Apgar Scores were 6:6 W3090gms (6lb 13oz)
Facebook Pag

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009 at 11:03 PM »
I'm very sorry for your loss. Perhaps you can find hope from my success story.  I was 1.5 cm at 24 weeks and held out to 39 weeks (even with several episodes of preterm labor along the way). I was getting weekly progesterone shots, taking procardia/nifedipene every 8 hours (then every 6, then every 4) and I took bed rest very seriously. I stayed on my side absolutely as much as possible. And I've talked with many women who did a combo of progesterone/bed rest/cerclage in their pregnancies following preemies. Many went on to have full-termers, and most added several weeks to their second pregnancies.

I felt like a weirdo going into L&D as often as I did, but every time I was indeed in labor and they were able to give me IV fluids and a boost of meds to stop it! Never hesitate to call your OB, or just go straight to L&D. Keep us posted, ok?

Also, you may want to print out this list of preterm labor symptoms: http://bit.ly/lHimt I kept it on my fridge!

joates

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009 at 09:18 AM »
All the best, sorry I can't offer any help....

I am surprised you werent on bedrest from early on, even with a stitch

My doctor wanted to treat me as a normal pregnant woman. He realized last week he couldn't do that with me.  He told me even if my cervix lengthened, he would have me on bed rest until I deliver.

joates

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009 at 09:25 AM »
I'm very sorry for your loss. Perhaps you can find hope from my success story.  I was 1.5 cm at 24 weeks and held out to 39 weeks (even with several episodes of preterm labor along the way). I was getting weekly progesterone shots, taking procardia/nifedipene every 8 hours (then every 6, then every 4) and I took bed rest very seriously. I stayed on my side absolutely as much as possible. And I've talked with many women who did a combo of progesterone/bed rest/cerclage in their pregnancies following preemies. Many went on to have full-termers, and most added several weeks to their second pregnancies.

I felt like a weirdo going into L&D as often as I did, but every time I was indeed in labor and they were able to give me IV fluids and a boost of meds to stop it! Never hesitate to call your OB, or just go straight to L&D. Keep us posted, ok?

Also, you may want to print out this list of preterm labor symptoms: http://bit.ly/lHimt I kept it on my fridge!

I hope I can have that, I hope with the progesterone and bed rest I can hold out too!!!!! I would love to get to 39 weeks.  I was on Indocin in the hospital, and started my progesterone shots last week.  Maybe I can ask the Dr. about being put on procardia, but I think they want to hold out to when I get to 24 weeks (viability) before they do that. I'm 22 weeks as of yesterday.

bellah1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009 at 08:06 PM »
i'm 31.2 weeks w/ a cerclage for an incompetent cervix. @ 16 weeks i went to the er for a uti since a nurse told me it could'nt wait a week til my 1st dr appt. i thought i was maybe 8 weeks along, but when they did the ultrasound in the er not only was i 16.1 weeks but my cervix was about 2.5 cm. & funneling.  the high-risk dr on call came in very icy & told me i had 3 options, 1: to terminate(which 2 us was not an option), 2: go home w/ some medication on bedrest or 3: be admitted in the hoispital have an amnio 2 see if there was any infection, have a cerclage put in & then go home on meds & bedrest.  so we decided 2 do the most "extreme"as the dr. put it & do the cerclage. they did the amnio, waited 4 the results, & had an ultrasound the next morning. the dr decided 2 send me home on just meds & mod. bedrest since my cervix was staying the same, i was furious. 5 days later i started having very strong, painful,& fast contractions so my husband rushed me 2 the er again. this time the ultrasound showed my cervix was only 1cm. thick so they admitted me & did another amnio, which was neg. again 4 infection & they put in a cerclage & i stayed 2 more days 2 get iv antibiotics since there's a risk of infection w/ the cerclage, had another utrasound 2 see if the cerclage worked & my cervix was 3 cm.  they sent me home on bedrest & more meds ( ibprofren, progesterone suppositories,ect.) I was set up w/ the high-risk clinic for weekly dr appt.s & utrasounds. my cervix has gone from 3cm. all the way to 7mm..  @ my 26 weeki appt. the u/s showed i was only 7mm so the dr. re-addmitted me into the hospital for steroid shots for her lungs in case she was born early & til i reached 28 weeks since it's an important milstone 2 reach because the chance of survival goes up to 95%. they did another u/s & the tech asked if i had been feeling kicks down there because low & behold there was her foot & the umbilical cord in the inner opening of my cervix ( i was also 1.5 cm. dialated on the outside.)  I was starting 2 have contractions in my lower back but once she moved butt down they discharged me.  i'm now on strict bedrest still going to weekly dr. appt.s.  i still have contractions but now the're real (they went away 5 days ago.) anyways neither my dr.s or i ever thought i'd ever maKE IT THIS FAR.  their 1st goal was 22 weeks then 24 then 28 then 30.  so here i am 31.2 & counting. their taking out my cerclage around my 35-36 week appt.  so u hang in there i know it's hard & emotionally draining but your doing amazing, keep it up!
baby girl due Jan. 22, 2010

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009 at 10:53 PM »
Joates and Bellah1,
How are you ladies doing? Can you give us an update?

joates

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009 at 09:23 AM »
I'm 25 weeks and still holding, my cervix is at 1.5 cm as of last week. They gave me steroids at 24 weeks to help with the baby's lung development just in case, but I won't know anything until tomorrow about how my cervix is looking this week. 

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Paging joates: Re: Incompetent Cervix
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009 at 12:49 PM »
Hi, joates.
How'd your doctor's appointment go? How'd your cervix look?

joates

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009 at 03:07 PM »
It went great. Thanks for asking. My cervix has gained some length.  Now we are at 2.45 up from 1.5 last week. I have hope my little one might make it!!!! :) 

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009 at 10:32 PM »
Fantastic! The cervix can be dynamic, meaning that it can regain length, as well as lose length. The ultrasound technician I saw at my many cervix-length checks said she could often tell when women had been getting the 17P injections! And studies have shown that 17P can make a BIG difference in lengthening pregnancies. You can do this, mama!!!

P.S. More study data on the effectiveness of 17P injections and progesterone suppositories here: www.keepemcookin.com/prevention.aspx