Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 24 weeks 3 days-short cervix  (Read 2278 times)

amyshort

• View Profile
24 weeks 3 days-short cervix
« on: November 26, 2009 at 02:24 PM »
Hello all. Just wanted to post my story in case it helps others. I went for a routine appt at 24 weeks and 3 days. This is my 2nd child and I commented to my doctor that I felt like I was carrying this baby lower than my previous pregnancy and sometimes when he kicks, I can feel the kicks lower than I remember from before.  He measured my cervix and it was 1.57cm, so off to the hospital we went so they could check for pre term labor.  I will be on strict bedrest until the baby is born, but I do get to do my bedrest at home, which is great.  Just wanted to post the info about my initial concerns about carrying him lower in case that helps anyone else. I am happy to have found this website, will keep me entertained for the next few months.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: 24 weeks 3 days-short cervix
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009 at 09:24 PM »
Thanks for sharing the info on how carrying lower could be a warning sign of a short cervix and potential preterm labor! That is so fortunate that you talked to your doctor about this pregnancy feeling different than your last one. Good for you for speaking up! And I'm glad he was proactive in measuring your cervix. I thought it was strange around 22/23 weeks when I felt (and looked) like I had dropped already. And indeed at 24 weeks my cervix was measuring 1.5 cm.

Let us know what your up to and how you're surviving bedrest! I post an Idea of the Day here:  www.keepemcookin.com/bedrest.aspx , and hang out on Twitter here: http://twitter.com

kthomson80

• View Profile
Re: 24 weeks 3 days-short cervix
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009 at 12:27 PM »
Hi, I am new to all this forum stuff as I am usually far too busy with work, college and my two older children, it has been a shock to my system being in bed for a week and looking towards spending the rest of my pregnancy here. I also felt different in this pregnancy I felt the first movements at about ten weeks or so and they were low down. My friends all told me it was my bladder or wind, but on having my twenty week scan they measured my cervix and it was 1.7cm. I was already on progesterone suppositories and being closely monitored as this is my tenth pregnancy. My consultant suggested another scan in two weeks, but no bed rest at the time, just take things easy. I went for the further scan and my cervix had shrunk to 0.8cm, very scary! This week I have had a cerclage and am on bed rest, they will give me steroids in three weeks as my consultant believes that my little lady will be early, which frightens me a little, but they are really looking after me this time! I would definitely agree that the low-down movements are a sign, when I went for the scan little one was head butting my cervix area and I could feel the pressure down there. I am 23 weeks tomorrow and hope to make it to the 27/28 week, that's my goal for now!!
Karen x