Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Cerclage questions  (Read 3031 times)

amyamy

• View Profile
Cerclage questions
« on: January 28, 2013 at 05:29 PM »
Hi there ladies,

So I feel like I've said this in every single post but at the risk of repeating myself once again... I had a cerclage placed at 19 weeks when my cervix suddenly shortened from a nice long 5 cm to 1.5 cm. All has been well since the cerclage was placed, and I'm actually starting to look ahead to 36 weeks, when my doctor will remove the cerclage. (I'm 34 weeks now!!)  (We had been anticipating that this might happen, because I experienced a miscarriage at 20 weeks about a year ago, due to suspected insufficient cervix.)

So here are my questions for those of you who have either had a cerclage or know lots about it:

1. With my miscarriage, we had no signs that anything was going wrong until it was way too late. I had no contractions but by the time I got to the hospital I was already dilated to 4 cm. (I should clarify that I got a backache, was just not feeling right, and then finally went to the hospital when I started spotting.) Contractions eventually started about 6 hours later (I guess to help push the baby & placenta out?). I'm wondering if I will experience contractions to open the cervix or not? Or will cx just start to open on its own since it's weak? 

2. My doctor says that she's had patients who deliver just a few days after the cerclage gets taken out but has also had patients that she has induced! (Ah, the irony!) Just wondering if any of you ladies have any experience with whether I should plan to be a little early? I'm trying to be all zen about it and just let baby get here when he wants, but having trouble with that :-)

Any other things I should know?

Thanks so much!!
Amy

sara

• View Profile
Re: Cerclage questions
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013 at 10:02 AM »
Congrats on getting to 34 weeks! That is great. It's hard to answer your question because everyone is different but I totally  understand because i had the same questions with my first cerclage. Here's what happened to me: I started spotting (which was unusual for me) four days before my regular 35 week check up. I called my dr. Office and they said my mucus plug may have fallen out and no need to come in until my appt. I wasn't having any contractions or having any other symptoms.  But at my appt they did an internal exam because i was still spotting and they found I was 100 percent effaced so they took the cerclage out that day, my water broke three hours later and I gave birth that next morning. My son was 6 ponds 8 oz but spend 8 days in the NICU because he didn't have the sucking swallowing skill down to eat on his own. But overall, he was very healthy. I hope that helps. Best thing to do is call your dr. About any and everything unusual so they can take the cerclage out if necessary before it's scheduled. I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted!