Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 30 wks/5 days and no cervix left!  (Read 4062 times)

Connie

• View Profile
30 wks/5 days and no cervix left!
« on: December 16, 2009 at 09:45 AM »
Hi all -

This is my first time posting.  I have been having u/s cervical length measurements for a few weeks now.  Was short, got shorter, stayed stable and then went from 1.2 or 1.3 last Monday to .5 yesterday!  I am now on strict bedrest (was on less restrictive bedrest for about 5 weeks) and am now taking procardia 3 times a day.  I got my first steroid shot yesterday and I get the second one today.

I guess what I was hoping to know is - does anyone have an experience that sounds similar to mine?  How do I know if I am going to have my baby early??  I'm not having contractions at all and don't really have any other labor symptoms - just this non-existent cervix.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: 30 wks/5 days and no cervix left!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009 at 11:13 AM »
Hi, Connie!

How have you been these last few days?

Your short cervix is indeed a warning sign for preterm birth (see research on cervical length here: www.keepemcookin.com/prevention.aspx). BUT, don't let that discourage you! You have the opportunity to be proactive. You're doing the right thing by taking your bed rest seriously! Did your OB mention staying on your side, not just sitting or reclining? My OB said "Gravity is the enemy" when it comes to a shortening cervix. So, I laid down just about ALL the time, with 15 minutes for meals and 15 minutes of reclining after eating.

I held on from 24 weeks to 39 weeks with a cervix length of 1.5 cm, so have faith. I was also getting the 17P shots. Are you?

Also be sure to call your OB if you have ANY of these symptoms of preterm labor: www.keepemcookin.com/symptoms.aspx

Let me know how you're doing and what you're up to to keep busy!
((((hugs))))

joates

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009 at 05:49 AM »
You're 30 weeks, you are going to be fine :)  Just stay on strict bed rest.  I have talked to women who had you're length much earlier and made it to full term.  So it is possible that you will make it to full term too.   If you can just make it a couple of weeks, that would be good, as the time in NICU would be minimal.   Just be hopeful, it sounds like your dr. is doing what he is supposed to do.

Connie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009 at 11:28 AM »
I am 31 weeks and 2 days now.  I have been getting the progesterone shots for about five weeks and my doctor is going to continue them for at least another five weeks.  So far still good - no contractions, or any other symptoms.  Just laying in bed, sometimes on my side, sometimes sitting up.  If sitting up, always with my legs on pillows.  I have been having the worst pain in my hips though from lying down and I don't know how to ease the pain.  Obviously I am willing to tolerate just about anything for my baby, but it keeps me awake at night and sometimes makes me want to cry.  Typical aches and pains for pregnancy I am sure, but exacerbated by the fact that I can't move around.  It is heartening to hear about how you all have made it past your initial diagnosis to deliver term or full term babies.  That inspires me and helps me feel a little less chaotic - it is such a rollercoaster - every night when I wake up I immediately fear it is because I am in labor!!

Smily

• View Profile
    • Parenting Premmies
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010 at 08:23 AM »
How are you going now? Hopefully still pregnant!

30 weeks is better than earlier, but still not where you want to be.
Brendan 25/02/07 30+1 due to PPROM @ 28wks, Spontaneous Labour & Chorioamnionitis. His Apgar Scores were 2:4 W1545gms (3lb 6oz)
Tristan 19/06/09 34+3 due to Spontaneous Labour. His Apgar Scores were 6:6 W3090gms (6lb 13oz)
Facebook Pag

Connie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010 at 09:10 AM »
I am 36 weeks and 3 days. I had Premature Rupture of Membranes at week 35 and I have
been in the hospital now for 11 days. Despite the PROM, there is still some fluid left and
our baby is doing great!! So rather than force an early delivery, we are taking a wait and see approach.
I have only been having mild contractions that are somewhat irregular and with no pattern. The doctor
won't risk an exam until next week for fear of introducing an infection.
So here I lay, waiting anxiously!!

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010 at 10:17 AM »
That's so wonderful you've made it past 36 weeks. I am SO very happy for you!

So what are you doing to pass the time in the hospital?

Also, there is an organization called the Acts of Grace Foundation. They send care packages to moms on hospital bed rest. To request a package, email marlena@actsofgracefoundation.com. Hang in there! It will all be worth it!