Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Questiion: any advice or similiar stories appreciated.  (Read 3908 times)

natalie

• View Profile
Questiion: any advice or similiar stories appreciated.
« on: May 16, 2013 at 03:46 PM »
I am 26 weeks, been on MBR since 20w with a dynamic cervix measuring no lower than a 2.1 cm with pressure. I've been going to the high risk dr. weekly for cervical measurements. My measurements improved the past two visits, 2.8cm yesterday with pressure so looks like the progesterone and MBR are working. Thank goodness.

Yesterday my high risk ob informed me I am getting out of the 'danger zone' with how far along my pregnancy is and that since my cervical length is improving I'll only need to come in monthly. This is great news I know, but for some reason that scares me because my weekly visits give me peace of mind. I voiced that concern to her, and she said now that I am at this point in my pregnancy, I will be able to see the preterm labor signs better, rather than earlier in my pregnancy when it would be more spontaneous.

Has anyone ever heard this before from a dr? how far apart are your drs. appointments?
Thanks,
Natalie

pinkpeony

• View Profile
Re: Questiion: any advice or similiar stories appreciated.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013 at 03:01 AM »
My high risk doctor said short cervix or imcompetent cervix is an issue until about 30 weeks, at which point the baby is wide enough to be held by your pelvic bones, therefore relieving the cervix from a lot of pressure and weight.

Can't you ask to be monitored every two weeks until 32-34 weeks? 26 weeks is still too early. I had my baby around 26 weeks and I wish I could have stayed pregnant at least until 30 weeks.  It would have made a huge difference for the baby.

natalie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013 at 09:29 PM »
Thank you for that info. Yes, I am going to ask her, seems a big jump from weekly to monthly.

toodles103

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013 at 11:21 PM »
I don't have an incompentent cervix, but instead I have an irritable uterus.  However, I have been going every week since everything started at 27 w--just today I got released to every 2-week visits!  So that was awesome, however I am in that "phase" of pregnancy.  I would probably question going from weekly to monthly--only because a lot can happen in a month vs. a week or every 2 weeks!  It would make me very nervous as well!! 

My best advice is to either call and ask if you can be seen earlier just to keep a peace of mind and if not--keep tabs on how you are feeling and call the instant you feel like things are "off." 
Mommy to Noah (5) Owen (3) and Jordyn (7/02/2013.  Bed rest from 04/22 due to irritable uterus and +fFn test!)

natalie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013 at 10:39 PM »
So here is what happened at my last appointment. My cervix measured 3.8cm. At my last appointment it was 3.2cm. Both seem high given I've ranged between a 2.8cm and 2.1cm. But they assure me it was an accurate reading and that my cervix is just dynamic. My Dr. said see you in a month....I was like how about 3 weeks?... which she agreed to, she is a nice dr and I think if I asked for 2w she would have been ok but I figure she knows what she is doing.

It’s a little weird bc my original paper work said every week until 28w and I was 27w at that visit...so at least I will see them again at 30w. I really wanted to be seen at 30w because with my first pregnancy that is the time frame when I was admitted to the hospital with a 1cm cervix, 2cm dialated. Stayed there for 4w. I guess I am just concerned that they rushed the last two measurements and that is why they were so long, leaving the actual length not known. Usually they wait until my cervix relaxes before going with a final measurement. I guess since its a muscle it can tense up and stretch at least that is what was told to me before. We have previously waited up to 20 minutes! These last two measurements were taken in five minutes. I asked the Dr about waiting longer than five minutes and she just said the measurement is 3.8cm..she was a little short with me. My husband thinks its just because things are looking better for me and I am too concerned about the measurements when really I should just be happy that the dr says things are looking good and that the bed rest is working. I am one of those patients who is always asking when I can do more and I am sure that is annoying. I also asked to not have a certain technician do my measurements because she was very poor at sharing information with me compared to the other ones, so I also think the dr. didn't like that either.  My husband wasn’t very sympathetic with me either, basically siding with the drs, so needless to say there was some crying going on that day (he thinks I should be doing way less than what the drs even say I can/should be doing so we have some arguments but its hard to be mad at him when he just cares about his child). Whatever. I am thinking that if my cervix is stretching that far long then really how far short can it contract? Hopefully not below my lowest measurement of 2.1cm.

Anyway, I guess they will not do anymore measurements after 32 w since your cervix naturally begins shortening at this point and the length doesn't tell you much about chances for delivering pre term. Either way I am high risk since it was below a 2.5cm at 20w when I was originally put on MBR.

Just wanted to get that all out. Thanks for listening.

toodles103

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013 at 12:27 PM »
That definitely is a hard place to be in :(  I know both of my cervical length checks were super fast.  Probably less than 5 minutes as well.  It definitely would be worrysome!  I had 2 full-term births previous to this baby and I am still freaking out over everything.

Well I am glad that your dr. is being semi-supportive with the 3 vs. 4 week visit!  I asked about going from weeks to 2-week visits and my OB said that I was stable and she felt confident I would come in if anything was going crazy! 

I know how hard it can be with a husband who doesn't understand!  My husband has been great--however, once they released me on "take it easy" it seemed like he thought I could do more than I could.  He quickly changed his thinking when things started changing.  And his mom was the same way (we went to her house for the weekend, and it was like she thought I could do all this stuff.  Ugh.  My husband had to have a talk with her because she just wasn't getting it!)

Hang in there!  I am around a lot if you ever want to chat! :)
Mommy to Noah (5) Owen (3) and Jordyn (7/02/2013.  Bed rest from 04/22 due to irritable uterus and +fFn test!)

natalie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013 at 04:23 PM »
That must have been frustrating. Good thing he was on your side and defended you to his mom. Its not like we want to have everyone doing everything for us all of the time. I would much rather be the care taker than the patient knowing how it feels to be on the other side. I am grateful for my husband though, he has been doing pretty much everything for 8 weeks and has 7 more to go (just wanted to say something nice since I complained about him earlier).

Thanks for the encouraging words. I hope tonite goes better for you than last.....