Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: I'm a "high risk" pregnancy, but I sure hope I don't go into preterm labor!  (Read 4279 times)

MarBaby2009

• View Profile
I have a four year old daughter.  That pregnancy was normal and healthy.  I went into labor at 38 and a half weeks, so luckily only 10 days early.  My labor was very long and difficult, it took 21 hours.  I had "bloody show" at 8pm on a Saturday night (so my day was about over and I was already tired and ready for bed).  At 8:30pm I heard and felt the sudden pop and gush of an entire dam breaking inside of me and flooding everywhere.  The water really does "break"...it feels that way...and it doesn't stop, the fluid just keeps coming out for hours and hours and hours...I walked around with a towel between my legs!!  lol.  By 1am my contractions were so strong, constant and close together that we were on our way to the hospital and I was sure that the baby was coming soon.  Sadly, upon examination, I was told I was ZERO dialated!!  It would be a long night and an even longer Sunday because I wasn't dialating at all and I was just so exhausted and they didn't want to give me an epidural for fear that it would slow the entire process.  Finally at some point around 2-2:30pm on Sunday I finally got an epidural and then they examined me again and I was finally dialated to an eight.  Our precious daughter was born around 5pm and she and I were both exhausted, but healthy!! 

Now, at 39, I'm currently 16 weeks pregnant.  This time around my pregnancy is already dramatically different.  A year ago I was pregnant for just a few weeks and miscarried....and a week after the miscarriage I had pain in my leg and was diagnosed with a deep blood clot.  I ended up seeing a hemotologist who tested me and sure enough, I was positive for Factor 2, Prothrombin Gene Mutation, a blood clotting gene (hereditary), that predisposes me to blood clots.  They were impressed and surprised by the fact that my first pregnancy was normal, healthy, no miscarriages before the one last year.  Since then I've done much research and learned that the highest risk for maternal mortality is due to pulminary embolism (which is a blood clot that moves into the lungs and is often fatal) and that's for all women because pregnancy increases the risk of blood clots.  With my gene mutation, I'm much more at risk and I'm extremely lucky that I never had one during my pregnancy or post-delivery with my daughter nor did it impact her.  Many women who have these types of blood clotting disorders don't know they have it until they have multiple miscarriages or still births.  Then they get tested and find out.  It's not just a risk for the mother....the baby can die because a blood clot can get into the placenta and block blood flow to the baby...so it's a risk throughout the entire pregnancy.  After birth the mother has the highest risk for the first six weeks post birth due to the estrogen levels which increase risk of clots.  ANYWAYS, enough of that long story.......SO, because I was diagnosed with this blood disorder and because of previous miscarriage and my previous blood clot, I'm now on a liquid anti-coagulant that I have to inject into my tummy twice a day, YUCK.  I have to do it throughout the pregnancy and three months post birth.  So because of this mutation and my age, I'm considered "high risk."  I will be induced by 39 weeks because the medicine has to be switched to another form and closely monitored for me to be able to have an epidural...various things to manage for the delivery.  I just hope I make it until 39 weeks because I went earlier than 39 weeks last time (which was my first child and that's usually the "oh, you'll go past your due date because it's your first child" scenario.) 

I realize that none of this is specific to the "preterm" topics here since I wasn't preterm last time, but I am certainly hoping I won't go preterm this time because of the medicine I'm on and complications that could cause for my delivery...PLUS it's not healthy for the baby.

So that's my long story.  Anyone else out there have a blood clotting disorder??

mparsons

• View Profile
Good Luck!! Im so happy that you are so well informed.  I am a Vascular technologistas well as regular Ultrasound (OB and that sort, lol).  I see sooo many people that have clots and have no idea until something unfortunate happens.  I also have a blood disorder (Von Willebrands),  Luckily it shouldnt have anything to do with my upcoming(April) delivery.  I had surgery last Dec and bled forever.  I had to have two blood transfusions and was in the hospital for a week.  i'll keep you and your miracle in my prayers daily. 

April09Baby

• View Profile
Hello I hope you're doing well. Are you doing Lovenox injections daily?  I am 29 weeks 3days pregnant with Factor IV blood clotting disorder with 2 times past 3 weeks preterm labor contractions concerned about carrying full term?

MarBaby2009

• View Profile
HI mparsons and April09Baby!  I hope you are both doing well!!

mparsons, what does your blood disorder do, does it make you bleed?  Two transfusions, you poor thing!!!  Good luck in your April delivery, I hope the baby and you are both doing well!!

April09Baby, yes, I am on Lovenox.  Are you on it as well?  I'm at 80 mg/0.8ml twice a day.  So far everything is going pretty well.  Baby boy is kicking and they say he looks good, blood flow to him is good, etc.  So I hope everything continues to go well.  It feels like I've been pregnant forever and things are moving at a slow pace, I just can't wait for him to get here!  If you are on Lovenox, have your doctor's said you are being induced early to regulate the medicines, any potential epidural, etc??  They plan on inducing me at 39 weeks, but I never made it that far with my doctor.  Recently I looked back at my records with my daughter (and had totally forgotten this) and we always thought she came 10 days early, but the original ultrasound showed her a week ahead in growth so they moved up the due date.  Based on my actual last menstrual period and what would've been her due date, she actually came at 37.5 weeks, 17 days early.  So I've told them that and they say that the OB medical association now says they really, really don't want any inductions before 39 weeks unless absolutely necessary for baby or mother's health.  I'm all for keeping him in there as long as possible and safe, but I'm also really worried about not making it to 39 weeks and then my medicines screwing up my options for any epidural or to cause too much bleeding!  Argh, so needless to say I'm a little worried and stressed about this birth, much more than my first time.  I hope you preterm labor contractions you've been having go away.  I take it you've seen someone????

Keep in good health, both of you!

:) Marlene