Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 27 weeks pregnant with twins  (Read 3140 times)

Buckphoto

• View Profile
27 weeks pregnant with twins
« on: June 13, 2013 at 12:36 PM »
I am new to this forum.   I went in for my regular 2 week appt. on May 22 @ 34 weeks. We were all packed and ready to leave in the morning for my birthday trip/babymoon for a week.  With twins, their main concern is the length of your cervix.  At my previous appt it was 2.9cm and my doc said he couldn't see any major changes happening and I should be fine to go on out trip. To our surprise, my cervix measured 1.3cm on May 22. They sent me down the hallway over to the hospital.  Hooking me up to fetal monitors they noticed I was having contractions which I could not feel.  I spent the next 48 hours hooked to an I.V. Of magnesium sulfate (not nice stuff) :P and received two steroid injections 24 hours apart. It was pretty traumatic considering this was my first IV/hospital stay in my life. I spent a week, including my 37th birthday, in the hospital.  No more signs of contractions throughout the week,  my cervix increased to 2.0 cm and I had a negative FFn test so I was released to modified bed rest at home.
 I am staying with my parents.  My husband and I live in a town about 45 min away and he is trying to finish getting our house ready to put on the market. Not sure how I feel about that now! It has been stressful knowing that I missed out on the trip and that I can be of no help. I am a VERY active person (runner, biker, endless amounts of pent up energy) So I feel like life has come to a screeching halt. I feel great, thankfully, and everything has been stable, which I am grateful for. I have the support of so many people but, it gets tough not seeing my husband and relying on everyone else to do everything  They wouldn't have it any other way, I know.
I have been keeping busy crocheting baby hats, buntings/cocoons for the twins and lots of reading and playing on the Internet. I found this page and thought it would be nice to swap stories.  I still have a long way to go but it's the little goals that help.

toodles103

• View Profile
Re: 27 weeks pregnant with twins
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013 at 04:18 PM »
Hang in there!!  I am glad that your fFn test was negative!  That is a great sign!  Take things day by day and remember every day the twins are in equals 2-3 days less in the NICU!! :) 
Mommy to Noah (5) Owen (3) and Jordyn (7/02/2013.  Bed rest from 04/22 due to irritable uterus and +fFn test!)

amykookykat

• Standing or sitting when not lying down...
    • View Profile
    • Amy's Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013 at 06:02 PM »
Congrats on your twins!  I can see how it could be traumatic with everything happening so fast (and never having had to be in the hospital even!).  Are the twins your first children? 

I sympathize with the mag sulfate now...I apparently took it better than some, and I still felt drugged up, sweaty, dizzy, nauseous, etc.  It's not too comforting to when they detect that you're having contractions that you weren't aware of, but at least they were able to take precautions to keep your little ones cooking a bit longer!

~Amy
Mommy of 4?!?

Daniel - 7/9/08 @ 38w4d
Jared - 3/11/11 @ 38w1d
Kaitlyn - 8/8/13 @ 37w (my bedrest baby!)
Laurel - 2/2/16 @ 38w2d (my 2nd bedrest baby!)

Buckphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013 at 06:44 AM »
These are our first. My husband is a two time cancer survivor and I battled through an eating disorder.  So these two miracles are a long awaited blessing. I conceived on our second round of fertility injections and an IUI.