Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: To everyone on strict bedrest - do you take heparin injections, too?  (Read 2273 times)

Kitekat26

• View Profile
Hi everyone,
just curious if your doctors also recommend using heparin during your time on strict bedrest. I've heard different opinions (from my OB/GYN and from a doctor at a hospital) if it is really necessary to do the injections. I have been doing them since week 23 (now 27+5). I have been getting nosebleeds but no other side effects. I heard the heparin does not get through the placenta to the baby so I hope it doesn't have any long term effect on my daughter.
Kat

andi-pants

• View Profile
My doctor hasn't said anything about it but I've only been on bed rest since 29 weeks and I can get off of bed rest when I hit 36 weeks (5 more weeks!!! :D but who's counting? haha); maybe it is recommended for ladies who have a really long period of bed rest ahead of them?

KayFroebel

• View Profile
I did do the heparin, though they were through IV as I was on home IV fluids. No issues here and I am just about 39 weeks!

pinkpeony

• View Profile
I'm not on bed rest this pregnancy but I was on hospital bed rest in my last pregnancy (2 years ago). They started giving me a daily shot of heparin as soon as I started the bed rest. I guess they thought I would be confined to bed for many weeks (I ended up giving birth only in 6 days of bed rest).