Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: *UPDATE* My first bedrest baby is here!  (Read 3353 times)

amykookykat

• Standing or sitting when not lying down...
    • View Profile
    • Amy's Blog
*UPDATE* My first bedrest baby is here!
« on: August 14, 2013 at 12:02 AM »
I figured I'd post my birth story here rather than spam up the weekly check-in!

The short story is that Kaitlyn arrived at 4:08pm on Thursday, August 8th...exactly 37 weeks! 

This is my first pregnancy on bedrest, and it's given me a new appreciation for all of the bedrest mamas out there who are working so hard to keep those babies in (my previous two pregnancies were pretty uneventful...both born at 38 weeks).

I'd been on bedrest since preterm labor started at 27w6d (contractions, 2cm dilated, 1.5cm cervical length with funneling and +fFN).  Everything that happened came as a complete shock to me on that day, and I was hospitalized for 4 days on magnesium sulfate and steroid injections.  I was sent home on Motrin and weekly AFIs/doctor's appointments. 

All was pretty calm until 32 weeks when I had to stop taking Motrin (and it was starting to not work as well for me a little before that).  At 32w1d I ended up in the hospital again, only overnight though, after they stopped contractions with terbutaline and started me on nifedipine.  I had dilated up to 4cm at that point.

At 34 weeks one of the doctors told me that they wouldn't stop labor at that point (which ended up not being entirely true!).  At that appointment I was 5cm and I was really worrying about contractions firing up again.  They were allowing me a little more activity (like I could go swimming, get up a little more than to just use the bathroom, etc) , but still as much downtime as possible.  And at 34w1d I ended up in the hospital again, but this time ripping through contractions at 3-4 every 10 minutes.  They asked if it was OK to try terbutaline to stop them again, and it had done a great job the time before (despite the side effects), and I figured that would be it and I'd go home.  Instead, my cervix changed up to a 6 (difference of opinion, possibly...it could have been 5 or 6 even at the doctor two days before), had lots of bloody show, amniotic sac was bulging and the contractions came right back after the terb wore off.  I went straight to L&D and they were prepping me for delivery.  I got two more shots of terb during that time to get contractions slowed so they could administer antibiotics for GBS.   But I never dilated further, and after the terb and a few doses of stadol for pain overnight, the contractions eventually fizzled by morning.  I was glad that she got to bake some more, but it was hard preparing myself for having a baby and it didn't happen.  I stayed a few more nights and then went home.

After one whole night at home, I flew right into contractions again later the following day (went straight to 4 every 10!) and went right back to OB triage (I was 34w4d then).  Again, I went to the delivery room where contractions fizzled out by morning, and I went to antepartum for almost a week.  During that time, I had one more false trip to L&D at 35w...no cervical change, membranes intact...contractions fizzled).

They discharged me at 35w3d and went on twice weekly NSTs/AFIs along with a regular weekly appointment.  It was a pretty hard physically and emotionally draining week leading up, since I'd have such frequent contractions (even at the NSTs, the baby was fine, but the doctors were shaking their head at the number of contractions I was having), but had no way to know if I was dilating more until an appointment.  After going into 4 contractions every 10 mins, and dilating up to 6...I sort of stalled at 6cm and they wouldn't/couldn't do anything to induce beyond that since I wasn't term.

Even though they usually end bedrest at 36 weeks, they still wanted me to take it easy until 37 weeks (term) because every time I added a little activity, contractions started kicking up again.  Finally last Wednesday afternoon I was having contractions again and sort of called their bluff at the hospital.  I went in at 36w6d, and the nurses were very freaked out that I'd been at 6 for so long with a bulging bag of water.  They almost sent me home, but I was very very distraught about the prospect of having to go back and forth to the hospital every time I had contractions...and nurses were terrified that something bad could happen if my water did break.  So after talking to the doctor, she suggested that I stay the night with monitoring, they'd give me something to help me sleep and re-evaluate in the morning.  That made everyone (doctors, nurses, DH, me, etc) more relieved.

The following morning contractions fizzled a little overnight and I was feeling a little down that I still might just end up back at home.  The doctor from the previous night came in and said that since I was now officially term that they could do a little more to get me delivered!  My "regular"/favorite doctor happened to be in the hospital that day too...he came by and checked me again and overnight I had gone from from being stalled at 6, to being more like 7-8cm (he'd told me before that sometimes when the cervix gets to be in that range, it can be stretched or not depending on the person checking and it can be a little dynamic too...lower dilation measurements are usually more in synch from person to person).  He did a quick membrane stripping to see if that would help as well (membrane stripping in previous pregnancies always resulted in a baby less than 24 hours later for me!).  I walked around a little bit more and contractions came on again.

My husband got there and the contractions were coming pretty good, but they still needed to get a little stronger.  The doctor suggested I get the epidural then (if I wanted one...which I did!) and they came and did that (the anesthesiologists were pretty funny...they amused me a lot while they did it).  After that, a few of my co-workers came by to visit...the nurse started some pitocin, and about 20 minutes later as everyone was about to head back to work, my water broke (I had to have my husband look under the sheet...it felt like a water balloon had burst).  I was SO happy, and was actually laughing a bit at myself.  At that point, my husband had to hurry out the door to go get the kids from school/daycare (they were going to stay the night with a co-worker).  I was still at about 8cm, so he had a little bit of time.  Contractions picked up in intensity as I waited for my husband/kids to get there.  A resident and medical student came in again and while my water had broken, there was still a bit (hindwater?) that was still in there, so they broke that too (weird, I never had my water broken twice?).  I was still leaking a bit when husband and kids came back.  I got a quick hello from the kids and all we were waiting for was my co-worker to get there to take the kids.  The nurse lifted up the sheet and there was a pool of blood everywhere (I guess I was leaking more than amniotic fluid!).  At that point she suggested that my husband take the kids out just in case and she called all of the doctors in.  The resident and a med student came in first and suited up, followed by my doctor.  They didn't even have to really check to see that I was all the way dilated and the head was really low.  So we all kind of chit-chatted (awkward in the delivery room, right?) and waited for my husband to get back.  One of the nurses actually ended up calling my husband as he was hurriedly walking back from the parking garage to load up the kids and said "hurry up, you're going to miss it!".  He ran back in and I was ready to push!

It barely took 3 pushes and she was out!  I was the most clear headed out of all of the deliveries (3 kids)...I could see her after she came out and was getting suctioned, and watched my husband cut the cord, etc.  It was even cool to see the placenta after it was delivered (something I didn't see with the other two).  I guess I kind of felt like I was a part of the whole delivery process rather than kind of the container holding the important stuff...kind of the feeling I had with previous two deliveries where I didn't know the doctors very well because it was just whoever happened to be on call in the middle of the night. 

In regards to the placenta, my doctor also mentioned that it was really starting to deteriorate, so it was good she came when she did (and not hung in there for a few more days or weeks).  It had a lot of old blood in it too, but who knows when that might have happened (I had a small-ish SCH around 9 weeks, but it seemed to have resolved by around 12 weeks...that was the only bleeding I had during pregnancy other than the bloody show at 34 weeks).  Who knows if that could have precipitated some of the pre-term labor in the first place...I guess I'm just trying to figure out what might have happened that was different just in case something like this happens with the next pregnancy.

As a cool aside...they also asked if I wanted to take part in a research study...they needed moms delivering around 37 weeks, aged in mid-30s to compare those who had steriods for preterm labor and those who didn't.  I fit that perfectly...so all that was needed was a few pieces of placenta (I work in a research lab that relies heavily on patient specimens too...so I'm always willing to help with those sorts of studies, it just is neat that I happened to be what they were looking for!).

Anyway...that's the long story!  I hope everyone's own birth stories go as well...it won't be long before you are holding your little ones!!!  They're sooooo worth it :)
Mommy of 4?!?

Daniel - 7/9/08 @ 38w4d
Jared - 3/11/11 @ 38w1d
Kaitlyn - 8/8/13 @ 37w (my bedrest baby!)
Laurel - 2/2/16 @ 38w2d (my 2nd bedrest baby!)

andi-pants

• View Profile
Re: *UPDATE* My first bedrest baby is here!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013 at 08:22 AM »
Wow, what an eventful couple of weeks it has been for you!! Congratulations on your new baby, I wish you both all the best for a full and speedy recovery :)

lvmissesd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013 at 09:43 AM »
congratulations.  I'm so glad that she's there safe!!

ilanalynn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013 at 04:37 PM »
Congratulations!  So happy for you and your family!  Well done!!

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013 at 12:55 PM »
Congratulations!! Thank you for sharing your story!

KimberlyClink

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013 at 02:56 PM »
Congrats! Way to hang in there when the going got tough.

amykookykat

• Standing or sitting when not lying down...
    • View Profile
    • Amy's Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013 at 07:55 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I'm sooooo happy I found this forum, and have seen so many situations similar to mine.  It was so hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when in the thick of things, but it's worth the trip at the end!
Mommy of 4?!?

Daniel - 7/9/08 @ 38w4d
Jared - 3/11/11 @ 38w1d
Kaitlyn - 8/8/13 @ 37w (my bedrest baby!)
Laurel - 2/2/16 @ 38w2d (my 2nd bedrest baby!)

natalie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013 at 11:49 PM »
So happy for you!

Yes it is worth it. Seems like a bad dream....