Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: What are you doing to survive bed rest?  (Read 9674 times)

DFTLEE

• View Profile
What are you doing to survive bed rest?
« on: February 01, 2010 at 07:08 PM »
hello All,
First, My humblest thanks to Angela for allowing me to interact with you all on her website. This is an invaluable resource. My name is Darline Turner-Lee and I own a company called Mamas on Bedrest & Beyond (formerly Bedrest Comfort & Care. Thanks Angela for the listing!) I provide home care services for women on prescribed bed rest in Austin, Texas such as light housekeeping, laundry, errands, transport to OB appointments, Grocery Shopping and best of all Massage services.

While these services are great, the ladies are constantly asking, "What am I going to do for the next ____ weeks???" How have you all passed the time? Are there particular activities (other than forums) that you do during the day? Are you taking classes? Working? Watching movies? Reading? How are you surviving?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this post. Please reply when you have a moment.

Darline Turner-lee, owner
Mamas on Bedrest & Beyond
www.mamasonbedrest.com

Mellem3

• View Profile
Re: What are you doing to survive bed rest?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010 at 10:20 PM »
You know, I actually have 2 girls at home that I homeschool, so I end up being kind of a busy bedrester, anyway, but so many people have offered books it's not even funny.  This is a given, I know, but this is a perfect time to catch up on books, correspondence, movies you never got to see, or whatever.  We all get so busy that the things we used to do before kids have been pushed aside for years!  Remember what you used to enjoy before you were busy!  Enjoy the rest and downtime.  Sleep!!!  I can't tell you how many times I've wished for more sleep and here's my opportunity!  You could pre-make your thank-you cards for gifts given once the baby comes or for the baby shower (if you've had one)  If you haven't had one, you should still do it!  My husband and kids are going to represent me at our baby shower at the end of the month with me on web cam.  You could research your family tree, take up scrapbooking (this can be messy and expensive) or plan your baby announcements.  Start your baby book, sing to your baby, talk to your baby-no one else is around!  Each day, my husband sets up the web cam and we IM back and forth when he has time.  He likes to see me and make sure I'm still laying down!  Try computer games-solitaire and spider solitaire are addicting even if you're not a gamer!  Catch up with old friends.  I literally spent hours catching up with a friend yesterday!  Make lists:  what needs to be done around the house (lots of people want to help), grocery lists, menu for the week, things to put in your hospital bag, what you want for Christmas, baby names, anything!!!  Do baby registries online.  I'll keep thinkin'!

pmm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010 at 01:12 PM »
i make the plug for working out a remote working situation. instead of going off work which seemed what everyone was suggesting, i made an arrangement with my employer to work from home. so each day i move from the bed to lying down on the couch, i have a desk beside me with all y files, a breakfast tray with my laptop on it for me to work, my blackberry for me to send messages and my phone o join all meetings via conference call. so from 8-6, or whenever my husbaand gets home, i am fully occupied. i have managed to keep my sanity and 8 weeks have passed relatively  fast. i still feel connected with my networks, my work projects, and my colleagues. also i have not had to go on disability or employment insurance. so do not immediately assume hat you are out of the game, some work environments are very adaptive.

HopefulMom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010 at 03:06 PM »
I have just started bed rest and luckily I am able to work from home. I have gotten a million suggestions such as movies, books, etc...Basically I have been moving back and forth from my bedroom and the living room. It gets hard sometimes though.

bianca419

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010 at 06:49 PM »
I am a teacher, so I cannot work from home. I've been reading fiction, books on birthing, books on parenting, catching up with friends over email, talking to friends on the phone, watching too many episodes of  "A Baby Story," writing fiction, registering for baby stuff online, writing my birth plan. I've even been lucky enough to take our natural childbirth class at home. The teacher and the other couple come here!

lilbsma

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010 at 10:06 PM »
I've been catching up with old friends on facebook, chatting with other moms on twitter, watching movies and sleeping since I'm in pain and exhausted a lot of the time. Nighttime seems to be the slowest for me for some reason. Its hard not to feel isolated and I miss my life from before I got sick with my gallbladder and hypermesis.

Leony

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010 at 06:51 AM »
For all I know I've been on a bed rest since the IVF program started and if went worse to a total bed rest for 3 months now at the hospital.
My only entertainment is the iPhone and Nintendo DS. No movies at all :((.

bianca419

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010 at 11:26 AM »
The novel that is recommended on this website, titled Bed Rest by Sarah Bilston is hilarious and funny. I thought Bed Rest was so funny that I ordered the sequel, Sleepless Nights. Leony - since you only have the iPhone as entertainment, maybe you can download it at audible.com or at the iTunes music store and listen to it? It would be worth it and very entertaining. I think audiobooks usually cost on average about $10. Before I went on bed rest I commuted to work an hour each way and listened to many a book to pass the time. 

Leony

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010 at 10:33 PM »
@Bianca thank you for the suggestion. Wish I have wifi connection to download audiobook here at the hospital. I looked for the book on Amazon kindle but couldn't find it. If anyone here have any books recommendation   feel free to post them! x

bianca419

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010 at 09:29 AM »
That's too bad that Bed Rest is not available on the Kindle.
If you like vampire series there are plenty good ones out there - the ones that are addictive are the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris (of the HBO series True Blood). There are 9 books in all. The 10th one is due out in May. The books are much more entertaining and a bit more funny in tone than the tv series. There's of course also the Twilight saga (4 books in all), which gets better and less adolescent with each book. There's also the Harry Potter series, which I don't care how old you are, is extremely entertaining. The audiobooks are amazing and by far the best audiobook because of the actor narrating the series, Jim Dale.

Historical Fiction - Secret Life of Bees is an amazing book, my favorite actually.

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant was a book I could not put down. That's more biblical fiction (if there is such a genre) than historical fiction.

The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood is good realistic fiction. I think there is a sequel or a prequel called Little Alters Everywhere. Author is Rebecca Wells.

Fantasy - Wicked by Gregory Maguire is also an amazing book.

These are all popular books, which you should be able to find on the Kindle.

I hope that helps!

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010 at 08:49 PM »
Thanks for all the great suggestions Bianca419! I've posted links to them all below:

Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris  http://bit.ly/c5txw2
The Twilight saga  http://bit.ly/bwYoTg
Harry Potter series http://bit.ly/aEskWV
Secret Life of Bees http://bit.ly/bXzK65
The Red Tent http://bit.ly/b5oQlm
The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood  http://bit.ly/8ZrxKm
Little Alters Everywhere http://bit.ly/adDKeN
Wicked http://bit.ly/c9MGcf

Leony

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010 at 10:31 PM »
Thank you Bianca for the suggestion and Angela for the links! Hopefully some of the books are available on amazon kindle.
Thanks again! x

bianca419

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010 at 12:24 PM »
leony- did you get to download any of those books?

Angela, thanks for your Idea of the Day book recommendation. I ordered "It sucked and then I cried" from the library and it is hilarious. I don't want to put it down. From researching the book, I also learned about the author's funny blog called dooce.com

DFTLEE

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010 at 01:30 PM »
hello Ladies,
I want to thank you all for responding to my query. I am a pseudo bedrest vet in that when I was supposed to go on bed rest, my daughter ended up coming early and the situation was moot. Thankfully she is a happy 7 yo now. But my experience with her and having my son 3 1/2 years later made me realize how woefully inadequate support for ladies on bed rest is, especially when the bed rest is out of the hospital. That is why I started Mamas on Bedrest & Beyond last year and have been working diligently to find ways to support mamas on bed rest-especially those who are on bed rest at home and who may be feeling isolated or needing help. So again, thanks for your input.

If you get a chance, please take a look at my website, www.mamasonbedrest.com and let me know what is missing. I have tried to provide information and resources on a wide variety of topics and am in the process of uploading some craft kits and courses that Mamas can do to pass the time. Once my web person gets the plug in to work, I'll let you know so you can peruse the offerings.

Thanks so much. Again, I am here to serve you, so if there is something that I can do for you, please let me know.

Darline
Mama in charge!
mamasonbedrest.com

Luvmytieren

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010 at 03:28 PM »
I too did not have the option to work from home as I manage 280 apartments.  So filling time took some creativity on my part.  I TRY to read but my brain is too full right now to concentrate like that!  So I still manage the household bills utilizing online banking, create the schedule for the week for my family (as my husband is up to his eyeballs in new responsibilities), I created a blog to chronicle my thoughts on this crazy journey, I am completing online real estate classes, and my favorite activity has been knitting!  I hooked up with a ministry at my church where people donate yarn and then I can knit scarves for the homeless!  Not only does this keep my hands busy (while I catch up on old movies) but it has given me a sense that I am still a apart of the world and helping others even though I have found myself in a helpless state.  I will find out at my next Ultrasound if, after 12 weeks of bed rest, I am able to return to work.  If not, I have started researching telecommute job options.  Good days and bad days are a given but let's keep trying to keep busy moms!  And Keep Em Cookin'!