Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Bedrest starts today and needing advice.  (Read 2753 times)

cazz

• View Profile
Bedrest starts today and needing advice.
« on: September 05, 2013 at 10:04 AM »
I'm 30 weeks and 3 days pregnant. Last year I lost my son Isaac at 26 weeks. On Tuesday morning I noticed a  clear mucus discharge. I t wasn't much but I contacted my doctor who asked me to monitor any pain and baby's movements. Yesterday was fine but I did alot of sitting at my desk and had a terrible backache. This morning had a brownish mucus discharge. Again it wasn't much but decided to go to casualty as my doctor is on vacation but taking all my calls. Had a consult with a doctor who I can only describe as hysterical but what I got out of the exam was my my baby is moving well and is strong, baby's head is pushing heavily on my cervix and the tip of my consulting doctors finger can get through my cervix. I was abit upset at first but after calming down and talking to my calm regular doctor we decided it was time to stay of my feet and seat and take the pressure off.

But now that I'm here in bed I'm wondering if there is anything more I can do. I don't believe doctors are god's and I know they get things wrong. I've already lost Isaac and I don't want to go through that again. I want my baby to stay inside and bake completely. The hysterical doctor wanted to admit me immediately and basically said I have an incompetent cervix, I'm in labor and I should be ready to deliver this baby. Meanwhile my calm regular doctor says go rest, monitor pain, baby movement, discharges and water.

I'm feeling helpless and needing some advice from community members. My gut tells me to get into the bed rest and keep the pressure of my cervix but I'm terrified of my cervix dilating without me knowing. Help me find some clear information. I'm feeling too helpless.

lvmissesd

• View Profile
Re: Bedrest starts today and needing advice.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013 at 01:07 PM »
Hi Cazz, 

Welcome to the forum.  I'm 31 weeks today.  I know that not everyone agrees on how bed rest should be approached.  I have been on bedrest for 20 weeks now.  It's a little frustrating some days and I admit that I can feel stuck at times.

For me, bed rest is absolutely necessary - not because of an incompetent cervix, but because I have an irritable uterus and walking around causes contractions and contractions lead to labor and labor leads to baby.

I went in to my doctor on Tuesday, and I was at least 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced.  When the contractions get to a certain point, I have to take meds to stop them.   May I say that I absolutely hate the side effects of the medications and I avoid them if I can.  I would listen to your normal doctor, and go with your gut.  We do have a point of intuition.  If you feel pressure on your cervix, mention it to your doctor.  I hope that you can relax and that you can feel okay staying down.  It's not the greatest thing, but it sure beats the alternative of having a baby this early... but, even if you do have the baby now, 30 weeks is not the absolute worst place to have a baby.  Sending you positive vibes. :)

cazz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013 at 03:33 PM »
Thanks so much. My regular doctor has taken some time off his vacation and agreed to see me tomorrow morning. Great guy! I'll feel better after seeing him. Will keep you all posted.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013 at 12:02 PM »
Hi, Cazz. I'm so glad you found us!

Have you met with your OB today? It sounds like he's a very level-headed and experienced doc, and that should help to ease your mind. Of course, after losing Isaac, it's understandable that you'd have these fears. The advice he's provided is perfect--just keep an eye on things and report any changes.

For me, keeping pressure off the cervix certainly seemed to help reduce my contractions. Are you feeling any contractions or belly tightening? Does the backpain seem to come and go in a pattern? Those feelings can be contractions too.

Keep us posted, okay?

Angela

cazz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013 at 02:50 PM »
Thanks Angela

Saw my regular doctor on Friday and we spent some quality time going over everything. We already knew baby is lying very heavy on my cervix but s/he is also putting a lot of pressure on my bladder. Its bad enough that I can't actually empty my bladder properly unless I literally lift my belly up. After reviewing when I get contractions etc he came to the conclusion that my poor squashed bladder is creating spasms that I'm reading as contractions. The contractions, though irregular, are in the groin area and lower back.

Remedy is still bed rest but only partially for now. I see him again in less than 2 weeks when I'll be 32 weeks. It was just to so great to have him take the time to review everything and we also discussed plan B in case baby comes early. All in all I'm less anxious and thats a major relief.