Stay Social. Stay Sane.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Author Topic: How do you do it?  (Read 3397 times)

pwllem

• View Profile
How do you do it?
« on: February 24, 2010 at 08:52 AM »
Hey peoples!

So here's the skinny, I need to know how you dads are doing it. I have done the bedrest dad thing before but this was 8 - 10 years ago. Before my coorporate trainer job-small busisness boom-gymnastics lessons-martial arts lessons-pre teen attitudes-megalaundry-two tween girls hungry life. I'm up at 5:30 am and down at 1:30 am. We have, hopefully, 14 weeks to go. Don't get me wrong I have had meal help from ou church family that I appreciate. But my wife would be horrified if anybody stepped into the house right now. (Which means I gotta go clean up in a sec befor he mom comes to pick up the kids) But how are you guys keeping up?

natejtaylor

• View Profile
Re: How do you do it?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010 at 10:51 AM »
Short answer is that we do the best we can. I thought I was busy with a 7 yr. old and 22 month old, and now 2-3 weeks away from delivery. You must be swamped! I have found that what helps me is letting go and accepting the fact that something must give. The following cannot be included in the "give": wife, children. Everything else is in the mix.

I tend to be a workaholic and neat freak (although you would NEVER know it if you looked at my house right now). With my wife on bedrest, demanding work schedule, and children......not good ingredients.

All I can say is that you are doing better than you think. It may sound a bit crazy, but the husband has it MUCH easier than the wife on bedrest. Can you imagine having to stay at-rest day after day? I certainly can't, and my wife struggled with it. How long the days must be....not to mention the frustration at not being able to help you.

So to actually answer your question: I have a schedule that I follow. Luckily for me, I am already a morning person so getting up at 4AM to get some things taken care of wasn't foreign to me. I suggest trying this if you can. It feels really good to accomplish things so rapidly as one can do when nobody in the house is awake yet. I also finally broke down and got a house-cleaner to come in every other week. Made a HUGE difference in everyone's stress levels.

Hang in there. It is truly amazing what we are capable of when we just start doing it. All my best. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Best,
NJT