Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: New Here - Sharing My Story  (Read 1550 times)

HoneyBug77

• View Profile
New Here - Sharing My Story
« on: November 04, 2013 at 09:53 AM »
Hello everyone,

I found this site after searching and searching and reading online horror stories that didn't seem to align with mine, so came here hoping to find support.  It's kind of disconcerting when you google and google and can't find any stories similar to yours.

I'm 21w6d pregnant.  When I went in for my 20 week anatomy scan, they did a transvaginal us and found my cervix was at a healthy 3.0 cms until they applied pressure from either the top of the uterus or applied pressure on the bottom of the cervix with the transvaginal probe, my cervix shortened to about 2.3 cms.  Additionally, they noted some slight funneling. 

They referred me to a high risk OB who told me I may be at risk for an insufficient uterus, and had a cerclage put in at 21 weeks.

Now, the OB that did the surgery told me I was not having a rescue cerclage, but rather a preventative one (I can't find any other examples of a preventative cerclage after 20 weeks) and told me after surgery that bed rest wasn't necessary and that my cervix was tightly closed now.  They will continue to check it.

Now every little jarring movement and pain I feel, I'm convinced I'm going into pre-term labor.  Has anyone had any experiences like mine?  I would just feel so much better/less crazy if I knew of anyone that experienced this as well.

jodibainum

• View Profile
Re: New Here - Sharing My Story
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013 at 05:12 PM »
Welcome to KEC!
I had a cerclage put in at 22weeks due to an incompetent cervix.  I had a loss last year at 21w 5d, so this time they had been checking my cervix every other week starting at 16w as well as progesterone shots every week.  At 20 weeks my cervix was 3.8...2 weeks later my cervix was a 2.3.  She sent me to the hospital to have cerclage placed the next day and I've been on bed rest since then.  I am currently 32w 4d.  Unfortuantely, there is no real research that bed rest really works, but my doc just sees it as keeping pressure off my cervix as much as possible.  I would definitely make sure you rest when you can and stay hydrated.