Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Irritable Uterus--25 weeks  (Read 5943 times)

PrairieDawn

• View Profile
Irritable Uterus--25 weeks
« on: September 11, 2013 at 03:24 PM »
So here's my story.  I'm lucky compared to a lot of the people on this site, but I'm really getting frustrated and felt like I could use some advice/ideas/commiseration.  I am 25 weeks 4 days with baby #4 (Liam) and have been having the kind of irritable uterus that you can't time, because my uterus contracts when I stand up, stays contracted as long as I am doing anything up, and calms down when I sit (or if I've let it go too long, lie down on my left side for varying amounts of time.  It starts at a pain-o-meter level of about two, and gets worse if I have to walk around a lot, lift anything (like laundry or my toddler), or heaven forbid, climb a flight of stairs.  Once it hits about 6 I have to lie down or I'll just start being really unpleasant to everyone around me.  This has been going on since 20 weeks, with no cervical changes.

The history:  I started having similar, but somewhat milder, contractions with baby #3 (Dorothy) at 30 weeks and delivered her at 41 weeks, 2 days.  I have never gone early.  The other two live births were a few days after my due date, and my only miscarriage was a blighted ovum we knew by 6 weeks could not survive.

What I've tried so far:  Increasing my fluid intake and taking 400 mg of magnesium daily, on the advice of my midwife, who is at this point not really concerned about preterm labor, but more with helping me be less uncomfortable.  I am also on "reduced activity" which means not really bedrest but avoiding strenuous activity and resting when I feel the need (which means I'm resting more than I'm up).  Researching on this site and others suggests my next course of action is aggressively treating for the recurring yeast infections that I have been less than perfect about treating, then possibly asking my midwife if it's a good idea to test for BV.  The other thing I'm concerned about is that our town flooded in June, and as a result my oldest child contracted hookworm from walking around barefoot.  It is possible that I caught it from him (most likely from laundry) but we have not tested for it because the drugs used to treat hookworm are not known to be safe in pregnancy.  I wonder, though, if my immune system's response to such an infection (or just little critters inhabiting my intestinal tract) could also affect the UI.  Any ideas, similar experiences out there?

Prairie

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: Irritable Uterus--25 weeks
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013 at 10:16 PM »
Hi, Prairie. I haven't seen you post a message in awhile. Is everything okay? Post an update when you can.

--Angela

toodles103

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013 at 11:35 PM »
I don't have much advice on the possible hookworm aspect--but I can tell you to hang in there with the irritable uterus.  I had an irritable uterus for 10 weeks with my 3rd and was on bedrest from 27 weeks to 32 weeks and then bed rest by my choice until about 36 weeks.  I was also on Procardia to help keep my uterus calm.  I did have some cervix change but the major factor in my bed rest was a positive fFn test.

Make sure you are drinking LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of water--and emptying your bladder as often as possible.  It's this un-ending battle--but if you are the slightest bit dehydrated it can stir up the contractions and having a full bladder can do the same thing as well.

Good Luck and hang in there!  My little girl was born at 37 weeks 1 day! :)
Mommy to Noah (5) Owen (3) and Jordyn (7/02/2013.  Bed rest from 04/22 due to irritable uterus and +fFn test!)

PrairieDawn

• View Profile
Still Hanging in There
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013 at 10:31 AM »
We're at 26w 5d now with Liam.  I'm not any better and getting more and more frustrated with the state of my house and my life outside the pregnancy.  I have had to stop helping much with the restaurant...dumping all the work on my brother in law and the assistant cook.  The house is trashed.  It's not really a house...it's a three story hotel built in 1865 with a lot of restoration work still to be done, which we share with my inlaws, who are here on weekends, and my brother in law, and possibly three more friends of the family coming in a couple of months.  Only the main floor, where the bar and restaurant are, has central heat and air conditioning, or a complete kitchen.

Upstairs is cobbled together.  (Rant warning.)  The big trouble is that we live in Everything Is Hard Land.  The laundry is so far back in the basement that it's actually more steps from the bedrooms than the nearest Laundromat.  One of my children sleeps on the third floor, the little girls sleep on the second floor, and the working kitchen is on the first floor.  Makes getting kids ready for school a marathon of running up and down stairs.  I'm not sure I could keep the place clean and running well with no kids and not pregnant.  I'm trying not to stress over the mess upstairs, but it's making me stressed.  There's no extra money for extra help around the house, and I have to come up with six hours a day of sit-down work at least tangentially related to the business so I can keep sending the toddler to child care (we get subsidy for child care and would lose that if I weren't working.)

I kind of feel like all the balls I'm trying to keep in the air are starting to fall down around me.  It makes me get into this cycle of doing too much one day and them barely being able to get out of bed the next.

BedrestPractitioner

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013 at 11:51 AM »
Are you open to natural and organic remedies?  Wellness options such as essential oils and flower essences can assist in relaxing the uterus and the emotions, all at the same time.  This is what we specialize in, and would be happy to forward more information to you, upon your request.