Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Bed rest baby update! :)  (Read 1715 times)

andi-pants

• View Profile
Bed rest baby update! :)
« on: December 19, 2013 at 07:51 AM »

Harrison is doing very well! He is 4 months old tomorrow :). We continue to combination feed and I have finally been told a reason for my chronic low breastmilk supply. I have IGT (insufficient glandular tissue, aka glandular hypoplasia, aka tuberous breast deformity). After being told for so long by so many people that I just wasn't trying hard enough, or it was because I offered a soother, or introduced supplements too soon (at 3 weeks when he was still 4oz below his birth weight and severely dehydrated, poor boy was starving. He NEEDED the formula!), or I didn't pump enough, or I pumped too much, or I didn't stand on my head and dance a jig, it sure was nice to hear that it wasn't all my fault, after all.

Good luck to all you ladies who are still on bed rest! I hope you all have happy, healthy and full term pregnancies! There is a light at the end of this bed rest tunnel! Hang in there!

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: Bed rest baby update! :)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013 at 09:14 AM »
Oh my goodnesssssss! Look at Harrison! Thanks for sharing all of these pictures. It's tough to pick a favorite...maybe the Santa suit? Or one of the ones with his sweet little grin during tummy time? How can you not snuggle him every moment? Well, you probably do.  :D

Also, thank for sharing your challenges with breast feeding. In so many cases we're told, "Nothing is more natural," and when it isn't so easy we blame ourselves. Plus, I think after having a challenging pregnancy, women like us may be even more sensitive that our bodies "don't work," or that we can do what nature "designed us to do." Good for you for pushing for answers, and for not being afraid to supplement when that is what Harrison needed.

It is SO wonderful to hear from you! Have a Merry Christmas!

--Angela

becky77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013 at 10:25 AM »
He is absolutely adorable!  Thanks for sharing.  Congratulations on making it through bed rest with such a wonderful result!

andi-pants

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013 at 01:43 PM »
Thank-you both!

And @Angela, that is exactly how I felt. I felt like my body failed my son and I with the pregnancy and I felt like it failed again when it stubbornly refused to make enough milk. I tried everything. I hated my body, I felt like it was broken. I felt like less of a woman, and less of a mom even. I felt like I should be able to have a normal pregnancy and that I definitely should be able to exclusively breastfeed my son. After all, "everyone's milk comes in", yeah, well everyone's except mine. I feel that it is important to be open about my IGT because there isn't enough discussion about it. Five percent of women will have IGT. That 5% is brushed off by so many breastfeeding professionals, it is given a little mention then brushed to the side. If you have true low supply you are constantly told that it is because you didn't try hard enough, or because you supplemented, or because you gave a paci, or because you just aren't putting baby to the breast often enough, it is infuriating. Five percent isn't small. Five percent is a lot. It is 1 in 20. I feel like there needs to be some discussion, especially among health professionals, about IGT. How to recognize it early (before the baby is born) so that the mom can be prepared. LOL Sorry for going off there, it is a subject that I have a lot to say on!