Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: New to Bed Rest with Cervical Insufficiency  (Read 2654 times)

sasafras410

• View Profile
New to Bed Rest with Cervical Insufficiency
« on: January 22, 2014 at 10:54 AM »
Hi all!

I am new to this site and new to bed rest. I am 29 weeks+4 today, and when i went for my OB check-up last Tuesday they found my cervix had shortened to 12 mm, from 27 mm 4 weeks previously. I had been on pelvic rest, but they immediately sent me to the hospital for steroid shots and placed me on bed rest at home (I can get up to shower and use the bathroom). I have been using crinone since 20 weeks and am continuing to use it daily.

Prior to being on best rest i was working full time as a special ed teacher, doing a 600 hour internship to be a school administrator, and attending grad school...so this has been a very sudden and difficult adjustment for me. My husband has been phenomenal, and my mom has been coming by almost every day, but i just feel so lonely and scared. I'm worried that i'm going to go into labor, but i'm also wondering how on earth i will be able to continue lying on my side helpless for the rest of my pregnancy without losing my mind.

I have learned how to knit, am an avid reader, have netflix and HBO, and all these things help. This is my first pregnancy and things have just NOT gone as i expected them to, so i feel like i am almost mourning the loss of what is supposed to be a wonderful and joyous experience. I cannot wait to see my baby boy, and his kicking is really one of the only things that helps me. Knowing he is healthy and still in there is a miracle every day, so i'm trying to take the approach that every day is a good day that i stay pregnant and my baby stays put.

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle the transition to bed rest? Any suggestions for books, TV shows, or movies to pass the time, or other activities? I feel very fortunate to have found this website and forum, where many people have experienced what i am.

Emily_Aldargator

• View Profile
Re: New to Bed Rest with Cervical Insufficiency
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014 at 02:58 PM »
Sasafras: I hear you! Going from 100 to 0 is extremely challenging, especially for Type A overachievers who are "go go go" gals like ourselves. In all honesty I've battled some mild depression and anxiety in the past few weeks of bedrest. It's hard to go from being the person that everyone else depends on to being the dependant. In your role as a Spec Ed educator you are used to being the one that kids, parents, educational assistants etc rely on to keep everything going. Now you need to give over the reins and allow others to care for you. No easy feat!!! Don't beat yourself up if you feel cheated or angry about this. You are NOT alone!!!

I am learning to release control as I give up my job as supreme manager of the Universe... Slowly and with as much grace and dignity as I can muster. Don't expect others to "get it" when you wish you were at work instead of cooking a baby. Many people will tell you how lucky you are to get to lie in bed watching movies and reading all day. One strategy I've learned is to schedule like a madwoman. I schedule helpers to bring different food every few days so that we don't get sick of eating the same thing. I schedule my meds and put reminders in my calendar. I schedule visits to be spread out so that I'm not lonely for long. I schedule a helper to help with dishes, another to help with laundry, another to help with kitty litter etc. I am keen to only have each person helping or visiting here no more than once per week so that they do not feel strained and I don't feel guilty. It gives me something concrete and useful to do and gives me a sense of control over what is a pretty out of control situation. :)

If you are friends with some Spec Ed/ classroom teachers or higher ups in your school district you may wish to offer your services as a copy editor/reviewer for anything they are publishing (policy docs, individual education plans, report cards, etc). Many teachers or folks will appreciate having another set of eyes!! You can set yourself up with a side table and highlighters or a laptop and go to town! 

I've helped a few out of work friends edit and polish up their resumes and cover letters. This is also something you can offer. If your crafting skills are getting good you can knit baby blankets or hats for preemies and donate them to the hospital because Your baby will likely not need them thanks to your compliance with bedrest and progesterone. Wink wink nudge nudge. I'm at 30 weeks with a similar protocol and I have faith that we will both keep on cooking for many weeks! Settle in, find some ways to still feel productive and valuable, and know that you are thought of today!!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014 at 03:05 PM by Emily_Aldargator »

nikkisava

• View Profile
Re: New to Bed Rest with Cervical Insufficiency
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014 at 12:15 PM »
I am now on week 3 of bedrest, I started at 28 weeks.This is also my first pregnancy and it has not been the experience I had hoped for. I have had issues from the very beginning. I have had a difficult time transitioning to not being able to do anything as well. I have tried to make a routine for myself which does help the day go by. It is important to accept all the help that you can get. I give myself things to look forward to, whether it be as silly as getting out for a doctors appointment or getting a visit from family or friends. I participated in my first chat on this site Tuesday and it was wonderful to talk to other women in the same situation. I highly recommend participating next week! It can be a very lonely experience and I have had the hardest time with that aspect. Take advantage of this website and other blogs to help feel connected. Just remember that as long as you are on bedrest, your baby is safe and healthy and not in a NICU!