Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Diet on bedrest  (Read 2147 times)

mekvien

• View Profile
Diet on bedrest
« on: April 15, 2014 at 01:57 PM »
Hey girls,

Just curious what everyone eats on a day to day basis?  How often do you eat?  Im finding it really hard to eat enough/often enough.  I eat and feel so full for hours after, even when I have multiple small meals and snacks.  The acid reflux is rough, and so I still am digesting meals from hours previously.  It's crutial I gain weight, as I have lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks! That and trying to get enough water in, makes it so much more difficult.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: Diet on bedrest
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014 at 09:22 AM »
When I was on bedrest, my doctor recommended foods that were high in protein and healthy fats, to make the most of the calories I was getting. For example: nuts, natural peanut butter, cheese, 2 percent milk, protein bars, avocado, even ice cream. Of course, with no exercise, you don't want to overdo it, but it seems like that isn't going to be a problem for you. As for the acid reflux, you're already doing the right thing by eating small amounts. (And stay away from anything fried.) Check with your doctor to see how long you can sit up during and after meals, to help with digestion. You can also ask about taking an antacid, but BE SURE to confirm the proper dosage with your doc. I would try to time my (occasional) showers after a meal, since I'd be standing up anyway.

Some of the weight you've lost is likely muscle mass. It doesn't take long for that to happen.  :( But try not to get discouraged. There will be plenty of opportunity to build up your muscle once Baby has safely arrived!

How has this past week been for you? How far along are you?

mekvien

• View Profile
Re: Diet on bedrest
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014 at 08:00 PM »
Thanks, surprisingly it is a lot easier to eat now.  Well, no surprisingly lol, my baby has dropped a lot more. I am 35 weeks, praying I can make it to 37! I have to go to town tomorrow for my midwife appt and a biophysical profile.  I am not looking forward to it, only because even walking the short distance from the car to the office is super hard and it feels like he is going to literally fall right out!  Hoping for an easier day tomorrow with the contractions and pressure.