Author Topic: Hi from Montreal!  (Read 9132 times)

Prachi

• View Profile
Hi from Montreal!
« on: April 23, 2014 at 10:27 AM »
Hello,

My first post here. I had 20 week ultrasound on 17th April 2014. Diagnosed with short cervix of 2.2 cm and 1.8 cm with funnelling. Radiologist advised to take it easy till 24th April so I can see my doctor.

After returning home, I did lot of research and have been on bed rest. Doing very little housework. Hardest part is not being able to pick up my 3 year old who has always been a mommy's girl.

I have been worrying myself to death until I found this forum. All the stories have been so inspirational. I feel that there is light at the end.

I will see the doctor tomorrow and discuss what needs to be done. Thankfully my husband and parents-in-laws have been very helpful. And I do not work outside the house. But bed rest is definitely harder than it looks. What do you guys do to kill the time? I have 17 weeks to go.

Would love to keep in touch.

notanotherloss

• View Profile
Re: Hi from Montreal!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014 at 04:27 PM »
Hi, I'm from Montreal too. 24 weeks today. Have been on bed rest for 7 weeks now. Had a cerclage put in at 17 weeks and my cervix now measures 11mm.
Yes bed rest is tough, but it seems it is doing us a good job. I miss playing with my 4 year old son and giving my 8mm year daughter more attention,  but they seem to understand.  My husband works full time but when he is in the house he is all supportive. Unfortunately we have no family here but friends help.
I read a lot,  check into this amazing site and watch some movies,  but most of the day cartoons are on for my son  ;).
Hang on there... the first few weeks are the hardest,  but after that you will find a way to manage  :D

evelyn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014 at 11:28 PM »
Ok this is weird....I'm from Montreal too...maybe something was in the water?!  I live in New York now but born and bred in Montreal. I am not on strict bed rest but was told to take it easy and I can go to work as long as I sit at work. This is my fourth pregnancy and I have a history of four premmees.  This time though its the first time I had a cerclage put in. I hope you have good drs there because I'm so glad to be out of Canada with medical issues. Are any of you on meds or progesterone? Wondering if Canadians have any other medications than us Americans?

notanotherloss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014 at 12:03 AM »
I'm on prometrium 200 mg vaginally since week 16.
this is my 5th pregnancy.  I lost number 2 for PROM and number 4 for PTL at 22 weeks. My doctor is the best. She is one of those who listen and take the time to explain things.
Try to take it easy at work, and when you are home keep your feet up  ;)

Prachi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014 at 01:23 AM »
May be something is in the water :)

I am not on any medication at the moment, just folic acid and baby aspirin.

Bed rest seemed boring a bit but it is definitely getting better.  I have watched few movies in a week and read some books.

At least I am getting some rest this pregnancy. With my daughter jumping up and down all the time, it was hard to squeeze in some rest before.

Will post tomorrow what the doctor says. Hopefully they will do another ultrasound.

I am being followed at St. Justine. Where are you followed?

ancmomma

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014 at 02:07 AM »
I'm now at 25 w, 3 d and was diagnosed with a short cervix at 24 w, 2 d. Bedrest is definitely not easy, but just thankful it's modified bedrest this time around, since my first pregnancy, I was put on both strict bedrest at home, then at the hospital. With a 2 1/2 year old, very active toddler, it's definitely been an adjustment, but I, too, have wonderful help with my parents while my hubby's working and my hubby's been great when he is home, too.

My daughter keeps me entertained when she's not running around playing with my parents during the day, and I've been doing a lot of web reading/ surfing during the day, and been keeping myself occupied with movies/ tv at night when my pg insomnia kicks in! I find focusing in on the goal of making it full-term (we are shooting to make it to 37 w!) and staying in touch with my girlfriends has really helped to keep my spirits up and knowing it's ok to vent when my emotions are running crazy. Having a very understanding hubby is a big help, also, because he does know how I really want to be up and moving!

Hang in there and keep us updated...you can do it! :)

evelyn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014 at 08:48 AM »
Prachi, I live right behind st Justine's! What a small world. Now I'm in New York. I have a cerclage now and my doctor decided not to put me on progesterone shots because last pregnancy it didn't seem to work. Did your dr consider that med? I'm also on indocin for when contractions get really bad. Am I the only one with short cervix and contractions?!

notanotherloss

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014 at 04:13 PM »
I'm being followed at the Jewish General Hospital.  St. Justin is very French for me :)

evelyn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014 at 04:43 PM »
Are you happy with care in jgh?

Prachi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014 at 04:54 PM »
I had another ultrasound today. Cervix is 1.7 cm now. According to the doctor, it is stable. She has prescribed me progesterone and bed rest. I am allowed to use the bathroom, have shower and meals with everyone in the evening. Can recline on the sofa. No intercourse of course. And they will measure again in 2 weeks.

No cerclage at the moment.

Prachi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014 at 04:59 PM »

Oh yes! I am very happy there. I was followed at the same place by the same staff in 2010 for my first pregnancy. So, this time it is more like meeting old friends who have news to share and ask questions about my daughter.

And they are very thorough with the care they provide. Always answer any questions and explain the treatment.

notanotherloss

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014 at 06:33 PM »
So far they seem very professional and attending to any reported issue. I was followed before at St. Mary's and I love the team there, but they do not have a high risk unit or NICU.  So this is why I was transferred to JGH

evelyn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014 at 07:07 PM »

I was born in st Mary's after my other was on bed rest there for a while.
I know the feeling. I was in the same hospital three times over in NYC. Each time I came back they all remembered me...i still remember the nurses that I liked!

Prachi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014 at 09:04 AM »
Yey 23 weeks today. Can't wait for 24 weeks.

evelyn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014 at 09:24 AM »
Same here 23 weeks and counting...I can't wait to 36 though!