Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Oliver Paul's Birth  (Read 3994 times)

lmj1979

• View Profile
Oliver Paul's Birth
« on: May 20, 2014 at 08:04 AM »
I made it to 27 weeks. Friday night, I began having contractions that gradually became 4 minutes apart. Back in L&D we started the  magnesium again and that lovely laying position with legs raised. I was so determined to get through this and stop the labor. I knew by midnight that it was real labor because those pains cannot be questioned! By Sat morning, the contractions were slowed to twice an hour. Dr and i were feeling like we could get a few more days. Then, my water broke (membranes had bulged back out a bit during the night). Still ready to hang on, the bleeding began. Dr pulled out a few large um sized blood clots.  This was 3 pm on Sat and Dr said that we would deliver. He felt a healthy 27 weeker would be better than one with possible infection.  Because baby was breech, I needed a csection.

Oliver was born at 3:51, weighed 1 lb 15 oz and is 12.5 in. He cried when he arrived and has been breathing on his own! The steroids clearly helped him prepare for this. His first 48 hours have been  positive and I get to hold him for the first time today. I have to say, I am no longer scared and feel so happy that we were able to make it to 27 weeks and do as many things possible to prepare for his early arrival. We have a very long road ahead but i will pray that God helps us as Oliver grows strong.

You all keep resting and cooking! Thanks for the support over the last several weeks. I will give an update as our NICU days turn into weeks   

Linda

evelyn

• View Profile
Re: Oliver Paul's Birth
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014 at 10:12 AM »
Congratulations!!!!!sounds like your little one is doing well and you made it to 27 weeks...that seems like a lifetime a way for me... I'm at 25 and contractions non stop! Rest up !!! take loads of pictures one day you won't believe he was so small!!!

Prachi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014 at 12:02 PM »
Congratulations Linda!! Please do keep visiting us whenever you have time to give us some news of the baby.

andi-pants

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014 at 02:44 PM »
Congratulations! I wish you both a speedy and uncomplicated recovery!

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014 at 03:20 PM »
A big welcome to Oliver! He sounds like a real tough guy, and I'm sending prayers and positive thoughts that he will continue to grow big and healthy.

There's a wonderful group for moms of preemies here: http://www.inspire.com/groups/preemie Everyone is SO helpful. I really encourage you to join the group.

Also, a group called Graham’s Foundation sends care packages to the parents of premies. Request a package here: http://www.grahamsfoundation.org/care_package_request.html

Please don't be afraid to ask for support during this time. There is a huge preemie community ready to help you, and be sure to share with your friends and family the ways they can help you during this time. Never be afraid to ask for help, or a hug.

Much love to all,
Angela

lmj1979

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014 at 10:50 PM »
Angela, thanks for those links! Thanks to all of you for the support. I can at least say that I did all I could to get Oliver as much cooking time as possible. I didn't realize how much I needed the support here. I will definitely keep you updated as we begin our NICU journey. You're in my thoughts!
Linda

Zoe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014 at 07:39 AM »
Congratulations Linda,
So so pleased to read your wonderful news...
Take care
Love Zoe
xxx

cath79

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014 at 01:09 PM »
Congratulations! Sounds like you're all coping brilliantly- good luck for the coming weeks xx

lmj1979

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014 at 10:26 PM »
Thanks! Oliver is 5 weeks old today, 32 weeks. He had a great 30 days but became ill this week. Antibiotics have helped and he's back on track. Growing too! Born 1lb 15oz and now 2lb 14oz.  :D
Linda

Batting200

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014 at 01:05 PM »
I'm so sorry he got sick, but it sounds like he's recovering well. The weight gain is fantastic! Hopefully it'll just be a few more weeks in the NICU.