Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Bedrest in Minneapolis when the weather is finally nice!  (Read 8818 times)

Batting200

• View Profile
Re: Bedrest in Minneapolis when the weather is finally nice!
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014 at 06:20 PM »
I cant believe I've made it to 34 weeks today! My OB said that if everything looks good at my appointment this week (Wed), then I'll get to go to modified bedrest, which is too exciting to even think about.I'm getting really excited about the prospect of making pancakes with my daughter in the morning again (even though, because of my GD, I can't eat any...). 
I've starting thinking more and more about the idea of actually creating a birth plan (I had been hesitant to given the emergency nature of my prior delivery...I didn't want to have any expectations this time). We've also started to feel comfortable talking to our daughter about the impending birth of her brother, feeling like there is a very very good chance that we'll actually have a living baby to bring home. And she's started to get excited about touching my belly and feeling him move.  She's also really into her big sister books.
I'm almost scared to get excited though, which I know may sound silly to some.  Having lost a child due to extreme prematurity, however, makes me feel a little cursed.  I know that should be balanced by the fact that my ex-32 week now 2 yo daughter is doing fabulously, and since I'm even farther along than that now, I should be completely at ease....but Im not.  I mostly try not to think about it, and just take a "day by day" approach. "Today I am still pregnant.  And today I am feeling him move well. And today I am not bleeding." Yes - I have turned into a person that gives themselves affirmations...but y'know what? they help!
I hope that everyone else is doing well.  Prachi - do you have your NST this week? 

Prachi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014 at 11:14 AM »
Congratulations on 34 weeks. You are almost there. Last few weeks have been scary and frustrating for all of us.

I will have the NST this Thursday. Also have to see the doctor. Hopefully I will be off bed rest.

How is your daughter doing? Is she excited to have a sibling?

Batting200

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014 at 12:40 AM »
Prachi - how was the NST? Of bedrest? I'm officially on modified bedrest and I could the more excited! I made banana muffins with my daughter a few days ago, and it was great! Unfortunately, she's come down with a stomach bug, so now I'm just hoping that she feels better by the time baby decides to come. I would hate to leave her with grandma while she's sick!

Prachi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014 at 09:40 AM »
Yey for the modified bed rest. You are almost 36 weeks. Few more days and everything will be fine. I sorry to hear about your daughter stomach bug. It sucks. My daughter never got sick in her first year, not even a cold. And then on 23rd December, a week before her birthday and a day before Christmas Eve, she got stomach flu. Sucked big time as it was her first Christmas.

NST went well. Doctor said that I can start moving a little bit more and I can stop the bed rest after this week. She is also ok if we take the vacation as well. I have another NST this Thursday as I will be having them every week now due to diabetes.

I am moving a bit more this week. But it has been a bit hard as my tummy muscles are not very strong at the moment. So, I had to take regular breaks and lie down. Keep reminding myself that I am still on bed rest, so no need to run around. Yesterday I was feeling much better. I did not lie down at all and no tummy ache. But of course, now I have swelling in my legs. Today I am planning to just take it easy and not do much.

How is your day going?

Batting200

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014 at 08:04 PM »
I'm so glad to hear that your NST went well, and that an end to bedrest is near!  Sorry to hear that you have GD as well - I did fine with the diet for the first month or so, but now I'm really missing my carbs. Luckily I've been diet controlled this whole time, and really would like to keep it that way, but man....I just really want an ice cream with hot fudge!
I have the same issue with my stomach muscles.  I actually bought a belly sling - the one from Curad.It's reasonably priced and it works for me when I'm up and about- but if I wear it when lying down I don't breathe as well...so I just put it on when I am going to be upright.
I actually don't have a Dr.'s visit this week - just a home nursing visit with an NST, which is fine by me, but feels a little weird - I got so used to seeing my doctor all the time. Next Monday I'll have another US to check baby's measurements and what not.  I have to say I'm getting nervous about delivery, since my daughter was a c-section.  On the one hand, I'm looking forward to having a VBAC an then being able to hold my baby right away - but it's a new experience, and hence, scary. I know what to expect with a C-section, which makes it more familiar, but the hospital I'm delivering at doesn't do skin to skin right after a c-section - you have to wait until after recovery (2 h!) to hold your baby - which is terrible. I hope I am able to do the VBAC.
I hope that you have a great vacation! Please keep us updated.

Prachi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014 at 10:32 PM »
I actually have diabetes type II. I was diagnosed in 2006. But I take insulin just during the pregnancy, otherwise I keep my blood sugar in control with diet and exercise.

I will be having a planned Cesarean on August 28th. Not even ready to try for VBAC. I had quite a bit of trouble last time.

I was able to hold my daughter as soon as I got out of the OT though. My husband had her before that. I am surprised about your hospital though. Not many hospitals do that any more.

Batting200

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014 at 06:24 PM »
Yeah, I'm going to lobby a bit with my OB and the pediatricians, since the hospital is trying to get "baby friendly" status.