Author Topic: New to forum, 22 weeks and 5 days with short cervix  (Read 13173 times)

crnatasha

• View Profile
New to forum, 22 weeks and 5 days with short cervix
« on: July 17, 2014 at 11:32 PM »
Hi, I'm Natasha and I'm so glad I found KeepEmCookin! 

Here's my story.  I'm 38 year old mother of two teenagers 18 and 16.  Both were full term.  I'm 22 weeks and 5 days with a short cervix.  Last week, I began experiencing what felt like menstrual cramps but they were coming 5 minutes apart.  I thought they were Braxton Hicks contractions so I went a day before calling my doctor.  When, I went in the next day my doctor said they were contractions, I was dehydrate, and I had dilated 1 cm.  I was sent to pregnancy triage. I received IV fluids and my cervix was checked twice more.  I was sent home still having mild contractions, which they said would stop on there own.

I woke up the next morning and noticed bleeding.  I was so afraid.  I immediately got up went back to pregnancy triage.  I told me that I maybe bleeding from the cervical checks yesterday.  I was checked again and they couldn't understand were the bleeding was coming from.  They decided to keep me over night.  I again received IV fluids.  The spotting and contractions stopped.  I was sent home and giving an appointment to get an ultrasound.

Monday, I received an ultrasound and that's when they told me that my cervix was very short.  They never told me how short.  I was admitted into the hospital again.  I was told my cervix was too short for a cerclage.  They gave me the progesterone tablet that I insert to the vagina nightly.  I stayed two days.  They told me that they were 100% sure that I would deliver early.  How early, they didn't know. 

I met with the prenatal doctors and they discuss every thing that could happen to my son.  It's a boy!  It was the most frightening conversation ever.  I was sent home today.  I'm not on bed rest! My doctor said studies show that bed rest doesn't my stop preterm labor but every time a read anything about preterm labor I see bed rest.  I extremely anxious and scared.  She told me to just be lazy.

Can anyone in similar situation tell me if this is normal or should I be on bed rest.  I so scared to do anything.  Thanks in advanced!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014 at 05:24 PM by crnatasha »
38 years old, short cervix at 22 weeks 5 days, taking it day-by-day, week-by-week

Prachi

• View Profile
Re: New to forum, 22 weeks and 5 days with short cervix
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014 at 12:18 AM »
Hi Natasha,

Sorry you are going through such a hard time.

Reasons behind pre-term labor are largely unknown. As they do not know what causes it, doctors cannot be sure of the treatment. Bed rest may help and may not help.

Short cervix, on the other hand, is a different issue. Bed rest, to a point, will decrease the weight forced upon the cervix which may help further shortening and funnelling.

I had my daughter in 2010, full term. Today I am 37 years old, 33 weeks pregnant with short cervix. At 20 week ultrasound, I was diagnosed with short cervix and asked to be on bed rest. I had few more ultrasounds to check the length. It varied between 1.7-2.1 cm at 20-21 weeks when it is suspposed to be 4-5 cm.

I have been on bed rest since. I did not have any contractions or bleeding. Today marks the 3 month completion of bed rest for me.

I cannot offer any medical advice though but please try to take it easy. Drink lots of water. Dehydration can cause contractions.

Nothing is 100% sure. All pregnant women are at risk of pre-term labor. Most women who experience pre-term labor go to deliver full-term. My doctor said about the short cervix is not a good measure of pre-term labor. It increases the risk for sure but it is not guaranteed that the woman with short cervix will deliver early.

Check with your doctor about the length of the cervix. Are you still on progesterone?

Do keep us updated. Best of luck!!

crnatasha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014 at 02:12 AM »
Thanks Prachi,

Yes I'm still on progesterone.  I take them every night.  I go Monday for an ultrasound to check fetal growth and to get steroid shot to help with his lung development in case he does come early.  I will ask about cervix length.  I'm just scared of every little thing.  I don't how long I should be on my feet, should I sit-up, lay down, and more.
38 years old, short cervix at 22 weeks 5 days, taking it day-by-day, week-by-week

Prachi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014 at 09:34 AM »
Unfortunately there is no specific rule about the bed rest unless doctor has said something. In my case, I am supposed to be lying down most of the day.But I could use the bathroom and have a shower and sit down for dinner every night. After 24 weeks, I could go the restaurant once a week with my family. But no walking. My husband will drop me in front of the restaurant and I will just go inside and sit down.

At 31 weeks, I was allowed to cook dinner.

Now at 33 weeks, I am allowed to move a bit more and once I hit 34 weeks, I will be off the bed rest.

I would try to be off my feet as much as possible if I was you. Are you working outside the house?

crnatasha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014 at 11:36 AM »
I'm a high school math teacher.  I'm off right now for summer break but I go back soon.  My doctor said I would be able to go back just light duty.  I'm afraid to go back.  She doesn't think I should be on bed rest.  She said just be lazy.  I'm not sure what that means.

Prachi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014 at 11:56 AM »
Maye make a list of activities you do around the house and the job and think about how strenuous you find them and then ask the doctor at the next appointment about the list.

My doctor told me to be a couch potato but when I started asking specific questions about specific activities, it turned out there was not much I was allowed to do.

crnatasha

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014 at 12:17 PM »
Thanks, Great Ideal!

Nicoleclark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014 at 10:07 PM »
Sounds like you are doing all you can to take care of your angel. My cerclage is holding very well and I believe saved my twins. I am 26+2 and had mine in at 22 weeks. My cervix was down to 1.8cm from 2.7 the week prior. It was shortening extremely fast. I was soo terrified. I'm stable now doing bed rest with bathroom and shower privileges until I get out of this critical time. Good luck you can go a long way with the cerclage or without the cerclage! Praying for you! 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014 at 12:01 AM by Nicoleclark »
first pregnancy after fertility with B/G twins, cerclage & bed rest at 22 weeks

crnatasha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014 at 11:09 PM »
Thanks Nicoleclark,

So glad your stable! I'm trying to understand why a wasn't able to get a cerclage.  I have an OB appt tomorrow. I'm afraid of what they may say but praying for good news. I'm praying for you are your twins as well.

Nicoleclark

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014 at 11:58 PM »
Even without a cerclage you can have hope that you will go much further! I've heard of many women making it very far with and without. Don't lose hope! Praying for you!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014 at 12:00 PM by Nicoleclark »

Batting200

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014 at 02:06 AM »
I just want to echo all the fantastic advice Prachi gave. Yes, the studies on bedrest and preterm labor are inconclusive, but cervical shortening is a different thing. Another thing to consider talking to your doc about is a pessary device. If they don't want to do a cerclage, a pessary inserted at midttrimester (btwn 20-24 weeks) has promising evidence. I'm not an OB, so can't offer expert advice, but just a suggestion for something to discuss with your doc! Good luck, and please keep checking in!

evelyn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014 at 06:14 PM »
Honestly I don't need studies to prove that when I get up my contractions start coming stronger and more frequently than when lying down. Feel like in these cases u really need to know your body. My dr says he trusts me to trust my body...to do what I need to do as long as don't feel like overdue it. Currently at 34 weeks with my fourth premature lAbor after three preemies hoping for full term this time . This she first time with cerclage so feel a little more secure this time around.

Nicoleclark

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014 at 07:00 PM »
Crnatasha, how was your appointment today?   Thinking of you.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014 at 07:03 PM by Nicoleclark »

crnatasha

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014 at 08:17 PM »
Thanks Nicoleclark for asking, Thanks evelyn, I agree. I feel more secure when I'm laying down. Thanks Batting 200.  My appointment today was okay. No bad news is good news at this point. 

I got an ultrasound to see how much he weighs. He's 1lb 2oz, so heing growing well. The ultrasound showed that my cervix is about the same, so that's good.  Still didn't find out the exact shortness of my cervix. I didn't get a manual cervical check, which I was happy about.

I got a little more clarity on the activities I should be doing which is not much at all. I feel better knowing.
I found out I will not be able to go back to work next week. So finances will be a problem soon. I recieved a steroid shot to help with lung maturity. I go back tomorrow for another one.

Only thing the worried me today was the ultrasound tech having his head was low by my pelvic bone.  But everything else was okay. Knowing that i'm not they only one going through this is since a major comfort.  I thank you all and pray that we all will deliver healthy babies.

Nicoleclark

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014 at 08:35 PM »
Sounds like you're stable which is good. My twin A's head is in the same spot and has been since I can remember. So far it hasn't been a problem. I'm sorry about work. It will all be worth it when you're precious baby is here. Keep your head up!