Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: baby #2 - cervix and BH  (Read 1953 times)

Lpichach

• View Profile
baby #2 - cervix and BH
« on: December 11, 2014 at 11:42 AM »
Wondering if anyone has had any experience with this and can speak to what will come next.....

History: my first pregnancy was great, but baby dropped at 24wks, went into labor at 24+4 w/ contraction onset, baby born at 25wks. Unknown as to why.

Now: Pregnant with 2nd. Been on Progesterone since 15wks. Baby dropped at 25wks. Got round of steroids at 25 & 25+1. Went into Atrial Fibrillation at 25+3 (COMPLETELY RANDOM!). Cervix has been checked at 22+1 (3.5cm), 25+1 (3.0cm), 28+1 (2.5cm - looked to have slight funnelling).  The last week my BH have been getting more intense. 3 nights in a row they wake me up from sleeping (so quite discomforting), last between 6 - 15mins each time and continue for up to 5 hours. But never reflecting the labor contractions from my first (quick, rhythmic). Fortunately they seem to have let up  the last couple of days.

I'm just so anxious and keep telling myself i'm good for a while, but are these all signs that the time will be coming soon?? I'm so excited to have made it to 29 weeks! Hoping to go to at least 32, but who's to say not further???

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: baby #2 - cervix and BH
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014 at 02:00 PM »
Welcome to the group!

This may not do much to help your anxiety, but I've come to learn that the only person who knows when your baby will be born is your baby. Anyone else's guess isn't worth much.  ;) I know from your other post that you know to trust your gut when something seems strange or different than it has been, and never hesitate to call your doc when your contractions last more than an hour. Together you'll figure out what is "normal" for you and when to be concerned.

I contracted ALL the time and took nifedipine to calm the contractions and it helped. That may be an option for you too. It was so nerve-wracking never to know if a certain round of contractions would be enough set off labor. I delivered at 39 weeks by the way, even though my cervix measured 1.5 cm at 24 weeks. So stay positive!

You can absolutely keep on telling yourself you will be a good for awhile. Your cervix length is still good:

A short cervical length between 14 weeks and 24 weeks is the best predictor of preterm birth.

Length less than 1 cm: Mean birth gestational age 32 weeks
    Length less than 1.5 cm: Mean birth gestational age 33 weeks
    Length less than 2 cm: Mean birth gestational age 34 weeks
    Length less than 2.5 cm: Mean birth gestational age 36.5 weeks

Source: American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, June 2000

And... progesterone has been shown to have great results.  Take a look at the page on prevention and treatment options to learn more about progesterone, nifedipine and cervix length. http://www.keepemcookin.com/prevention.aspx You're doing great!

Keep us posted!
Angela