Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Gestational Diabetes  (Read 2095 times)

Ruby

• View Profile
Gestational Diabetes
« on: December 27, 2014 at 03:26 PM »
Good news: I'll be 28 weeks at my appointment on Wednesday.  Bad news: I have to take my sugar test for Gestational Diabetes and I know I'm going to fail the test and get the diagnosis!  I know one major factor/prevention/treatment is exercise.  We all know exercise on bedrest is an oxymoron.  Ha! Anybody with GD? How are you treating  it?

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: Gestational Diabetes
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014 at 04:48 PM »
From my experience here, it's not unusual to see women on bedrest end up with GD. Like you said, no exercise, and also the increase in weight.

I had it with my second pregnancy, but I was just over the line and able to treat it with diet. The big thing was not to exceeded a certain number of grams of carbs within a particular amount of time. Sorry I don't remember the specifics any more -- I blocked it out.  ;) The one thing I could control while I was on bedrest was what I ate... until then. So frustrating!

It wasn't so bad once I made a list of foods that I liked and that I could eat: blueberries, bananas, grapefruit, eggs with red and green peppers, carrots with dip, Cliff Bars, plain yogurt with fruit, no sugar-added peanut butter, milk, cheese, lean meats and nuts. You can do a search for "low glycemic index" to find a list of recommended foods.

I'll be hoping that you pass the test and that you won't need to be so restricted in what you need to eat. Let us know how it goes!