Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: P17 Injections  (Read 12203 times)

jwilcox

• View Profile
P17 Injections
« on: February 19, 2015 at 04:11 PM »
I am currently 31 weeks 4 days and have been on P17 injections since 16 weeks. With my first, I had a short cervix and PROM at 33 weeks 5 days. He had a short NICU stay of 13 days and did very well. I was wondering if any ladies on here can give me their success stories with both Makena and P17 and when they went into labor after stopping the shots?

Sjjs714

• View Profile
Re: P17 Injections
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015 at 07:04 PM »
My first was born at 30 weeks 4 days after PROM at 30 weeks.  I used Makena with my second pregnancy and delivered on my due date and am currently using it again with my third! 

jwilcox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015 at 09:13 PM »
That's great! Docs are hoping I at least make it to 35 weeks (I stop injections at 36 weeks) but it would be great to make it all the way this time!

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015 at 09:20 AM »
Hi, Jwilcox! How are you doing? I had my last progesterone shot at 36 weeks and delivered at 39w3d.

What have you been doing to stay busy? Post an update when you can!

--Angela

jwilcox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015 at 04:31 PM »
I've been doing well! 34 1/2 weeks today which is longer than I made it with my son. As for staying busy, I have an 11 month old who keeps me on my toes and I work full time so, between that and working, I really don't have much time to think about my pregnancy. Just saw the doc on Monday and I've been measuring 3 weeks ahead all along, but this time jumped to 6 weeks ahead! So, they want to do another growth scan next week. I'm a little worried that this girl is going to be massive compared to my 4lb 15oz preemie! At 32 1/2 weeks she was 5lbs 3oz which the doctor's were happy with. So, we'll see how that goes. I've been waiting to feel those notorious braxton hicks or anything similar like I did last time as the doctor told me I probably would start feeling them. But, so far nothing. I feel like I'm doing all of this stuff to keep her in and when it's time she's not going to want to come out! Two more shots which gets me through 36 weeks and then its game on time!

chelsabean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015 at 01:23 PM »
It's great hearing all these success stories with progesterone!

I'm 31 weeks with my second. I've had a very irritable uterus this time, but my nurse practitioner keeps saying that with the strength and frequency of my contractions, that it's probably the Makena keeping my cervix strong and closed.

jwilcox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015 at 04:42 PM »
Currently at 36 weeks 1 day and still cooking! I haven't had a shot since 3/9 and not feeling anything yet. It feels strange to say this, but I would like to feel something going on! They are actually talking about inducing because of my blood pressure. So crazy that I've done all this to keep her in and now they may work to get her out!

vanne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015 at 09:42 PM »
Fabulous news!!!!  <3

jwilcox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015 at 01:51 PM »
Now at 38w 2d and they're talking about having to induce because of my blood pressure. I'm dilated 3.5-4cm and 80% effaced and having intermittent contractions. Hoping I go into labor on my own so I don't have to be induced. So weird that I tried so hard to keep her in and now they're talking about inducing me to get her out!

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015 at 09:31 PM »
Hey there! Congrats on making it so far! Along with the high blood pressure, are you having any of these other signs of preeclampsia...

From http://www.preeclampsia.org/health-information/about-preeclampsia:
No Symptoms
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
Proteinuria
Swelling (Edema)
Headache
Nausea or Vomiting
Abdominal (stomach area) and/or Shoulder Pain
Lower back pain
Sudden Weight Gain
Changes in Vision
Hyperreflexia
Shortness of breath, anxiety

I'm a pre-e survivor, so I always keep an extra eye on my mamas with high BP.  Keep me posted, okay?

jwilcox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015 at 01:38 PM »
Just some swelling in my feet, nothing else. They've been monitoring me very closely along with doing blood work, 24 hour urine screens and non stress tests twice a week. My blood pressure was actually really good at the last appointment and I go back tomorrow for another NST and doctor visit. Hoping to find out more tomorrow. Maybe even get a date for when we will meet this little lady!

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015 at 09:04 PM »
Fantastic! It's reassuring to hear they're keeping such a great eye on you and that your BP was good at your last appointment. My pre-e got worse after delivery, so I'll be checking on you again!  ;) Wow! A date for delivery! You'll have to let me know what they say if they tell you tomorrow. This just got real.  :)

Teemeg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015 at 09:44 PM »
Angela,

Why did they place you on P17 shots

And for everyone who has been using them, do they really help in delaying preterm birth. The doctor scared me with the term 'previable birth' considering my CL is 15mm. I started the shirt yesterday and am on strict bed rest and I just keep praying and praying that a miracle comes out of this story. Getting pregnant was a miracle in itself

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015 at 07:59 AM »
Hi, Teemeg! I'm so glad you found our group! And thanks for your email. The 17P definitely worked for me! (along with bed rest). My cervix measured 15 mm at 24 weeks and I made it to 39 wks 3 days! I was already getting the 17P injections beginning at 16 weeks because I had several episodes of preterm labor with my first pregnancy and was hoping to avoid that the second time around. Oh, well! :)

How far along are you?

Also, he are some details on the studies regarding the 17P shots and progesterone gel suppositories (ask your OB if s/he thinks the gel might be a better option):http://www.keepemcookin.com/educate-yourself/prevention-treatment/preventing-preterm-birth/

Keep me posted!

amy t

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015 at 08:50 AM »
They worked for me too! Started them for my history of pre term labor with my first baby. This pregnancy, bed rest at 29 weeks for short cervix/pre term labor at 32 weeks. Injections, Procardia, and 2 months of bed rest, I delivered at 38 weeks and 3 days :)