Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: *UPDATED HAD MY BABY:)* 19 weeks, short cervix 1.9cm no stitch  (Read 8649 times)

Sydneymummy

• View Profile
Hello! I feel like I'm in the right place :)

My story so far

My 1st daughter (Now 6.5 years old) was born with no complications except for measuring on the smaller side so she arrived at 39 weeks.

I had a Lletz Procedure when she was 6 months old.

I then fell pregnant with my 2nd daughter (4.5 years old now) at 20 weeks My cervix was measuring 2.6cm so they gave me progesterone pessaries 100mg and my waters broke at 36 weeks and arrived weighing a decent 2.6kgs with no problems.

Now I am pregnant again with a little boy and had my cervix checked at 16 weeks by intervaginal infrasound and it was 2.3cm and just last week I had another check up for my 19 week scan and my cervix is 1.9cm.

My OB has prescribed me with Progesterone Pessaries 200mg and to take it easy as he believes that bed rest has not been proven to help, although reading on this forum it seems to help!

He is reluctant to do a stitch as my placenta is sitting right on top on my cervix and he doesn't want to cause more problems by the possibility of infection or rupturing the placenta as it is so close.

He has told me to expect the baby anywhere from 34 weeks.

I am not working at the moment, just doing school drop offs, pickups, taking the girls to guitar lessons and ballet. I have been getting my groceries delivered so I don't need to worry about lifting heavy things. Luckily my girls are old enough now so they don't need to be carried!

Have anyone else been in this situation of just the pessaries and still keeping moderately active?

Also is anyone else experiencing slight cramping with the progesterone pessaries? I didn't feel light cramping before I started them.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: August 09, 2015 at 09:35 PM by Sydneymummy »

Andis Miracles

• View Profile
Re: 19 weeks, short cervix 1.9cm no stitch
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015 at 11:53 PM »
Hi Sydneymummy! Welcome, you're definetly in the right place!  ;)

I can't offer much in advice as my story is a bit different as far as the activity level I've been prescribed but I know a couple girls on here are in very similar situations and have gone far already in their pregnancy despite the issues.

I can tell you that I had slight cramping from the Progesterone pessaries for probably 4-6 weeks, they eased off after that.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your updates!!   :)

pixelstix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015 at 03:53 AM »
I was diagnosed with a short 19mm cervix at 23 weeks ( I'm now 30 weeks) and was also given progesterone right away and told to stop working and "make friends with my couch"  For me it was too late for a stitch but at 24 weeks I was fitted with a Pessary to help support cervix. This is something you may consider asking your dr about. It is completely non invasive. I can't even feel that it's there. From what I've read it is a good alternative to a clerage. I also got steroid shots for baby's lungs as a precaution at week 24.

Regarding bed rest, I'm sure you will read the controversy on this topic. It really comes down to the individual practitioner and whether they believe in it. I'm following drs orders but am not too strict about lying down all the time. 

I'm also taking nifedine 2x daily plus magnesium and byrophelium a homeopathic pill they prescribe here in switzerland. This is all to combat contractions so may not apply to you.

Re cramping from progesterone, I haven't felt that. Side effects I have felt include headaches and tiredness but this is probably from the nifedipine.

Next appointment is tomorrow so hopefully all these steps are working!

Best of luck to you! 

Sydneymummy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015 at 08:58 AM »
Hello!

Just an update, I am 23 weeks now and have been on the pessaries for 4 weeks. I had an ultrasound and my cervix has gone up to 2.3cms from 1.9cm! Very happy about that :)

I am trying to rest as much as I can with a 4.5 year old and 6.5year old....hoping the pessaries continue to work their magic!

Thanks for the lovely message of support!

Andis Miracles

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015 at 10:16 PM »
Great to hear you're still cookin Sydneymummy!! Keep believing, every week is a success!

Sydneymummy

• View Profile
Re: 19 weeks, short cervix 1.9cm no stitch **Updated**
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015 at 08:44 AM »
Just an update for anyone interested!

I am 29 weeks today. I have a growth & well being ultrasound and bubba looks to be about 1.4kg (3 lbs) which I am happy about. :)

My cervix was dynamic today, the shortest length being 0.9 cms longest about 2.6 cm after being 2.3 at 24 weeks with the progesterone pessaries.

They have recommended for me to go back next thurs to check it again and see how it is looking then.

I am just so glad that I have gotten this far. I will continue to take it easy, no heavy lifting or excercise and see how these next few weeks go!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015 at 08:49 AM by Sydneymummy »

ParijatDesh

• View Profile
    • Perinatal Wellness | Parijat Deshpande
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015 at 10:55 AM »
Great news Sydneymummy! Hang in there!
-----
Micropreemie mom & Perinatal Wellness Counselor

Helping moms with a high-risk pregnancy & on bed rest feel calmer and more confident so they can have healthier pregnancies and healthier babies.

Comprehensive, personalized support specifically for high-risk moms: http://bit.ly/laborofloveHRP

Sydneymummy

• View Profile
***Updated*** 19 weeks, short cervix 1.9cm no stitch
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015 at 08:30 AM »
Well I am 30weeks + 1 day now. I had my ultrasound on Thurs morn (Australia time) and the shortest measurement was 5.9mm but my cervix is still closed. I also had mild cramping the night before and on and off abdominal cramping.

I went to see my OB today and she did the FFT TEST and it came back positive. I went and had steroid shots for bubba and I will go back tomm morning for another shot.

I read up at little bit on the FFT test and apparently false positive reading can happen if hints have been inside the vagina...I have been inserting vaginal pessaries every day so wondering if this would effect the reading??

My OB said to rest up and keep my feet up on modified bedrest but I am still allowed to drop off and pick my daughters from school daily and she doesn't believe full bedrest is beneficial as it can make things worse if I sit in bed and rest all day.

How long did others last with at positive FFT??

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015 at 09:24 AM »
Sydneymummy! I am SO happy you've come this far!

Try not to let the positive FFT (we call it "fFN" here) discourage you. A negative result reassures you that there is more than a 99 percent chance you will not deliver within the next two weeks. A positive result doesn't have the "predictive" property that a negative test result has. Meaning, it doesn't give you any specific information about when you will deliver. I've seen SO many women here have a positive result and not deliver for weeks and even months.

Ask your OB if she thinks the vaginal pessaries (we call them suppositories here) can affect the results. It seems possible, since most things that disturb the vagina (manual exam, transvaginal ultrasound, pap smear, intercourse) can affect the results.

There's more info here about the fFN test: http://www.keepemcookin.com/educate-yourself/prevention-treatment/treating-preterm-labor/

Keep us posted! Stay positive!

--Angela

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015 at 02:54 PM »
Our friend Ashley on Facebook sent this message for you:

I had a positive result too at 25 weeks, got steroid injections because I was expected to deliver within 24 hours, but I went on to deliver at 39 weeks. You may not. Everyone is different. Praying for you.

And Chantal wrote:
What she said. Prayers coming your way.

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015 at 02:25 PM »
Here's a new message from another Facebook friend. Marin wrote,

"Oh fingers crossed for you! I had a positive ffn test at 29 weeks.... Steroids, nifedepene for 2 weeks and progesterone until 35 weeks.....and bed rest! My stubborn little man stayed put until 40+12!!!! Hope you are every bit as lucky as we were."

Sydneymummy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2015 at 03:49 AM »
Thanks for your replies!

I will just keep my feet up and hope for the best!  ;D

Sydneymummy

• View Profile
Re: *UPDATED HAD MY BABY:)* 19 weeks, short cervix 1.9cm no stitch
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015 at 09:41 PM »
Hi all!

I'm very happy to report that I was able to keep bub cooking until 38 weeks! He was born Aug 1st after my waters broke spontaneously after I woke up from a nap on the sofa.

Once my waters broke I went into hospital and they gave me the choice of waiting it out until more contractions came on or to have the Pitocin drip. As I have 2 kids already and they were sleeping at Inlaws I opted for the drip. They put the drip and epidural in at 7:30pm and bub arrived at 10:45pm with a very healthy weight of 3.4kgs 52cms long and his apgar test was 9.

I feel so blessed to have given birth to a healthy baby after all the stress of threatened preterm labour and steroid shots early on.

Modified bed rest, no heavy lifting or excercise, progesterone pessaries daily worked me!!! :)

Best of luck for everyone else on best rest  ;D

Jradd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015 at 12:31 PM »
Thank you for sharing your story!  It gives me hope as I have a short cervix as well!

Enjoy your new little one!

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015 at 02:44 PM »
Happy tears! That's so wonderful!