Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Twin Pregnancy After Twin Loss - .4cm at 20 weeks, pessary, no cerclage  (Read 5600 times)

Alexandria87

• View Profile
I lost my first babies, twin boys, shortly after birth on October 1, 2014. They were born at 20w5d. No symptoms until I lost my mucus plug at 20w4d. Went to the hospital and was already dilated with bulging membranes. They were born in their sacs 24 hours after I arrived at the hospital and lived for about half an hour each.

I am now 20w5d with twin boys again! My cervix has been shortening.

16w - 3.8cm
17w - 3.1cm
18w - 2.8cm
19w - 2.4cm
19w2d - 1.7cm, pessary placed
20w2d - .4cm :(
20w3d - went to hospital for cerclage but doctor said it would likely send me into labor so we went with a bigger pessary instead

bed rest at home in trendelenburg position, only getting up for bathroom, starting vaginal progesterone today

Any success stories with such a short cervix and twins?!

Full story here: alexandriakerrigan.wordpress.com

JessieO

• View Profile
Success story here!

I gave birth to twins in December after finding that i was dilated with bulging membranes at 19 weeks.  My cervix was practically non-existent.  I did end up having a cerclage because my MFM said that i was so far gone, i'd deliver within a week.  So in the end, we felt like i wasn't really risking anything.  I also had weekly progesterone injections and spent 4 months in bed with only bathroom privileges.  We thought I'd be lucky to make it to viability, but i went into labor at 35 weeks!  My Drs couldn't believe it.

There are a ton of success stories out there, so you came to the right place!  I know it can be hard staying positive after suffering such a devastating loss (been there), but each pregnancy is different and there's no reason that this one won't be successful.  Meditate, pray, do whatever works for you and stay in that bed.  Take comfort that you are doing everything you possibly can and i wish you the very best.  <3

idem22

• View Profile
Hey! I am just following because I am in a similar boat. Currently pregnant with twins, measured 16mm at last US at 21 weeks with massive funneling. Just got confirmation that I have begun dilating tonight at the hospital. This also follows a loss for me.

My fingers are crossed for you!

Alexandria87

• View Profile
Update: I had a great appointment on Friday at 21w2d. My cervix went from .4cm last Friday to between 1.2cm and 1.9cm over the course of my 4 minute measurement. Looks like the larger pessary, progesterone, bedrest, and prayers are working for now! I will be 22 weeks tomorrow and can't wait to make it out of the limbo and reach the point where they have a chance!

Alexandria87

• View Profile
Update - made it to viability!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015 at 11:08 AM »
16w - 3.8cm
17w - 3.1cm
18w - 2.8cm
19w - 2.4cm
19w2d - 1.7cm, pessary placed
19w3d - resigned from job, bed rest
20w2d - .4cm, strict bed rest/trend.
20w3d - declined cerclage due to risk, larger pessary placed
20w5d - vaginal progesterone started
21w2d - 1.2-1.9cm (1.1-1.3 official)
23w2d - .5-.9cm
24w2d - .5-.9cm

My doctors are amazed that my cervix is stable and remaining at the same length. I will continue bed rest and progesterone suppositories and still have the pessary in. I will continue to have weekly cervical length checks and if my cervix shortens I will be admitted for hospital bed rest.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
You are doing great! You're doing everything you can and it's working! I'm so glad you posted an update. I had been wondering about you and praying for the best. Positive thoughts coming your way...

Hope you can stop by the Live Chat tomorrow at 2 pm: blog.keepemcookin.com.

--Angela

Alexandria87

• View Profile
Re: Twin Pregnancy After Twin Loss - .4cm at 20 weeks, pessary, no cerclage
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015 at 03:18 PM »
Update: Twins were born at 36w3d and are doing great!

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015 at 09:02 PM »
Oh my goodness! That is so absolutely wonderful to hear! Thanks so much for coming back to inspire other moms with your success story!

babsmypoodle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015 at 11:28 AM »
Alexandria87-

I loved reading your blog! What a truly amazing story. Congratulations. I can't imagine what you went through emotionally,  what a roller coaster. But you stayed strong and now your truly an inspiration to others!