Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Steroid injections, what can you tell me?  (Read 2921 times)

Pina217

• View Profile
Steroid injections, what can you tell me?
« on: June 21, 2015 at 03:36 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone could give me a heads up as to what to expect with steroid injections... I have never taken steroids myself and am not sure what to think!

amy t

• View Profile
Re: Steroid injections, what can you tell me?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015 at 08:53 AM »
I did ok with Steroid injections. Mild soreness at injection site and some redness on my chest and abdomen, but otherwise, ok!

ButtonsAndSecrets

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015 at 04:30 PM »
I got the injections at 23 weeks 4 days. First shot and a second 24 hours later. They told me I may get a booster shot again if I make it to 32 weeks.

My doctor told me there aren't very many "miracle" drugs, especially when it comes to pregnancy but this is surely one of them. In all the studies they have not found any negative side effects for Mom or Baby. Only positive results regarding boost in lung development for baby. The shot it's self was no worse than getting blood taken, little poke and it's fairly thick so mine stung a little bit but really nothing to it.

ParijatDesh

• View Profile
    • Perinatal Wellness | Parijat Deshpande
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015 at 08:52 PM »
I want to echo what everyone else is saying. It's not a big deal, no different than any other shot or blood draw. It does wonders for the baby's lung development. The only catch is that it could bring your sugar levels up a bit but other than that, there are really no concerns or side effects to worry about. And as Buttons said, if you stay pregnant long enough you may be given a 2nd or even 3rd round!
-----
Micropreemie mom & Perinatal Wellness Counselor

Helping moms with a high-risk pregnancy & on bed rest feel calmer and more confident so they can have healthier pregnancies and healthier babies.

Comprehensive, personalized support specifically for high-risk moms: http://bit.ly/laborofloveHRP

Kayc78

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015 at 06:44 PM »
Hi,

I just got my steroid shot at noon today and it was quick with a bit of sting. I hate needles so I was expecting worse... But it wasn't. I go for my second one tomorrow at 1pm.

Doc says helps with the development of the lungs for our little peanut.

Pina217

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015 at 05:58 PM »
I am a nurse and once I was stuck with an needle of a patient with HIV which was scary enough but in the ER they had to give me a bunch of medication and the nurse came in and said "good news and bad news. Good news is we have the medication, bad news is it is 6 children's doses." So I got 6 kids doses in the patootey. :-[  this is where I insert the disclaimer that I did not contract HIV or Hepatitis...

wbondger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015 at 08:01 AM »
 OMG Pina, what a nightmare! Glad to hear you didn't contract anything as a result. Phew!