Hello there, parents and parents-to-be!

We’ve moved the conversation to Facebook. Although we have turned off new registrations here, we have kept all prior posts for you to read for inspiration, information, and lots of success stories! We hope to see you on our public group or private group on Facebook.

Public Private
Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Bed rest at 27w6d and scared  (Read 11796 times)

Kayc78

• View Profile
Bed rest at 27w6d and scared
« on: June 22, 2015 at 03:30 PM »
Hi all,

I found this place and hope to keep active to keep boredom down. Last Thursday was the day I got the news that I was on immediate bed rest due to my cervix being 2.1 so hard news to take and attires as time I felt like I did something wrong. I have accepted that I didn't do anything wrong. I just need to concentrate on keeping busy on the lazy boy and my bed. I'm only allowed to use the bathroom and get my food from the fridge everything else is out of the allowance. I have been given promethium nightly and wonder if anybody has used this? Results? I'm so scared and my mind just races the whole time.... I just pray this baby stays in as long as possible. I have my next appointment on Wednesday so I'm praying all will go well.

ButtonsAndSecrets

• View Profile
Re: Bed rest at 27w6d and scared
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015 at 04:27 PM »
Welcome Kayc!

I'm in the same club. I was put on bed rest at 19 weeks due to dynamic cervix (very similar to short cervix) and was also on very strict bed rest. My bed advise is to do whatever you can to stay busy, find a new hobby, pick up an old one, brain puzzles, online games, online poker/bingo, knitting, crochet, reading, they make adult coloring books you can now buy in stores and online, learn a new language, start a blog etc. Honestly I found keeping my hands busy typing or doing puzzles, making something has been my best time consumer.

I too am on prometrium every night and was told that it helps slow the shrinking of the cervix down or if it's almost gone (mine is less than .5) it helps to keep things stable. I've had no symptoms or reactions to it. I also have in a pessary because my cervix is so short. It's essentially a sillicone disk that supports your cervix. It was a quick few minute and painless procedure and I don't even notice it's there and they will take it out at 35 weeks or if I go into labor.

I have listened to the doctors even tho some days were so so hard and it's paid off as I am now 29 weeks 4 days and have been on bed rest since 19 weeks and somehow have made it through. Not every day is easy but remember your doing it for your little one. You can do this Momma!!

Teemeg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015 at 05:29 PM »
Hey Kayc and Buttons,

I am so sorry that we have to share the same dilemma. I was also put on bed rest at 20 weeks for a shortened cervix and was started on progesterone shots. Buttons your story has given me hope cause I have cried everyday since I heard the news but I guess now is time to dry the tears believing for a great outcome just like yours.

Keep hanging in there ladies. We can make it through for our little peanuts

Kayc78

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015 at 06:34 PM »
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I know it's doable... But it's heartbreaking and I guess I need to keep busy and dry up my tears and move on. I know I'm doing this for my baby. I get so scared on getting up and going to pee or getting my food that's been left by hubby in the fridge. Thanks again for responding and I know we are all on the same boat 'couch/bed/lazyboy'. I do hope the meds help! Or at least keep my cervix at bay. And I should also mention that I had an emergency hernia surgery at 17w3 days!! So yeah I was off my feet for 4 weeks with minimal walking to around my living room and kitchen.. Then at 4-6weeks I was able to go out and do some walking to get some movement. So I know I can do it... But afraid of over doing it by going to pee too many times. This is my 1st pregnancy and it's been a roller coaster... And now this...

Teemeg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015 at 04:11 PM »
Jaycee

I totally understand your fears about getting up to pee and stuff. I pee a lot cause I drink close to 4L a day. I have personally resolved to peeing in a cup n emptying in a bucket next to the bed. My hubby has been super great about everything. I take a sponge bath and he leaves my food on the nightstand on the other side of the bed. My fear of movement came about when I was given restrictions of a sedentary lifestyle but my cervix shortened further by 6mm in one week. I  do lots of ROM exercises in bed and only get up for number 2???????????? and will continue doing that until I am told my cervix has stabilized. It's my first pregnancy and it took us two years to make it happen so whatever it takes for this baby to come alive and healthy is exactly what I will do.

How have you been doing today??????

Kayc78

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015 at 06:19 AM »
Hi Teemeg,

Well I'm doing fine and I haven't been bored just yet. I have had someone over everyday to check up on me while hubby is gone to work. I also keep busy with text, emails and phone calls. It has actually kept me from sitting home and worrying. Today is a big day. I have an ultrasound at 9am EST followed by seeing my OB at 10:30am so I'm very anxious and very scared. I truly hope the progesterone has kept my cervix at bay or at least given me a little length if that's even possible at my stage. I have a ton of questions line up for the doctor! Yesterday I had a cry free day...

Let's keep in touch and let me know how your doing. I'm so glad there is this post and a few people have answered who are on the same boat as me. It makes me hopeful and not feel so lonely.

Teemeg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015 at 07:03 AM »
Yay girl to a cry free day. I guess it does get better as each day passes. I didn't cry either. Roku is quickly becoming my friend. I watched 5 movies yesterday. Mindless TV has helped me not dwell on the situation.

All the best during your appointment. I have my fingers crossed and am saying a prayer for you.

When you get a chance please update me hey.

Good day Kayc. I apologize for the autocorrect my iPad did on your name yesterday????????

Kayc78

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015 at 06:41 PM »
Teemeg,

Update - my cervix is now 1.9 ???? so they gave me the steroids for the baby's lung. I go back tomorrow for the second dose. I got all the phamplets for baby kick counts, excercises to stretch my legs... And few more reading material. Doctor was very comforting but no matter what he said to keep calm and take it one day at a time. But I still did my share of crying today. I'm feeling optimistic and getting support with people like yourself helps a lot.

Btw- what were your measurements at start and now what is it at if you don't mind me asking.

And I will also keep you in my prayers.

Hang in there too!!

Teemeg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015 at 09:12 PM »
Hey Kayc,

Awww girl here is my cyber hug to you ((((((((hugs)))))))). Your CL is still longer than what mine was last week. I measured 1.5cm at my last appointment but I have not lost hope just yet. My first measurement  was 2.1cm and at that time I really didn't freak out cause when I had spoken to my sister, she had told me her measurements were marginal with her baby. She made it to full term with no cerclage or shots or bed rest. I pray every single day and several times a day that God sees me through. I will not forget you in my prayers as well. Angela, our moderator here, I believe measured 1.5cm at 24 weeks but she made it to 39 weeks and 3 days so her story gives me so much hope. Of course every body is different but seeing others who made it through gives me the courage to be strong.

Just take it easy and keep off your cervix. We are fighters till the end and we will not loose hope all the way to the finish line. Did you ask about the possibility of a cerclage or pessary? I will definitely be asking about that at my next appt. I go in tomorrow at 4pm central time. Fingers crossed......

Buttons, What are your do's and don't's during your bed rest time.

Pina217

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015 at 10:37 PM »
I have been on bed rest for 6 weeks tomorrow since I was 21 weeks for a shortened, dynamic cervix. My initial reading was 2.7 with funneling, then up to 3.4, then back down to 3.1. 2 weeks ago I dropped to 1.9, last week back up to 2.1. I am a nurse and a runner and I was sure I had done too much or something to cause it but every doctor I have seen assures me otherwise! You are already almost 28 weeks which my doctors tell me is really the first goal. Once you hit 28 weeks children born that small have a really low chance of any long term trouble, so that's one positive right there! Hang in there, you got this!

Teemeg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015 at 10:43 AM »
Hey Piña,

I am in the boat of self blame right now cause I am a nurse and cross fitter and I was still going to my cross fit classes until my short cervix was discovered. I blamed it on all the crazy but very modified workouts we were doing. One of the other badass mommas was able to crossfit everyday until her baby came at 37 weeks and 5 days. I left behind a group of 3 other preggo mommies 2 weeks ago when I was first told to go on restricted activity. The biggest challenge has been going from 4 workouts a week to just laying in bed and restricted to ROM exercises to keep blood flowing.

But hey hey we will soldier on and give our peanuts the best fighting chance.

It's not over until God says it's over...........my new mantra these days????????????

Kayc78

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015 at 05:32 PM »
Hi Teemeg,

I got my second shot of steroids this afternoon and back laying down. I'm hoping and praying my bed rest helps. I only get up to the toilet and the kitchen. I do stairs once in the morning and once at night and that's it. I'm accepting this bed rest I have done 6 weeks at home when I had my hernia surgery but now I'm confined to the bed, couch or lazy boy and depend on my husband who works ft but does everything for me.. He's amazing and makes this bed rest easy as its just the 2 of us. I look fed to the weekend to have him home all day long. I need to keep hopeful and pray. You too are in my prayers..

I know a friend who did crossfit until the day she delivered! So no you didn't do anything but I hear you on what you mean on feeling guilty

I do really like your mantra... And true it's in Gods hand and Mother Nature... We are doing. Our part.

Hi Piña - thanks for the encouraging words. And I too pray for you that all will go well. Tomorrow is my 29w .. But I still feel like we have a long way to go...

What are you guys doing? Toilet, stairs, shower, and getting food from fridge? Or complete bed rest... With bed pans and no showers? I drink tons of water cause it helps with keeping contractions at bay.. So I get up almost every hour about 19 steps to the toilet... Shorter if I'm in my room...

Have a great day ladies.. Oh yeah I'm watching random daily TV shows! Maury makes me laugh... Just as bad as jerry springer back in the days.. Lol lol thought I share...

Pina217

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015 at 05:46 PM »
Teemeg, we are bed rest sole mates! I was at the gym lifting weights before my appointment when I got the news and I was sure that was what did it. One of the doctors I see is Captain fitness and he swears up and and down that is was nothing to do with the running or weights or being a nurse or any of that. He just says that those make bed rest that much more of a pain because you are so used to always going, going, going.  My sisters mother in law is a OB/GYN and she did a bunch of research for me once we found out and she gave me a bunch of encouraging stats. She said having a short cervical length at 25 weeks, there is only a 6% chance of delivering before 32 weeks and less than a 3% chance of delivering before 28 weeks. Those odds are actually pretty dang good! We got this everyone! Bedresters unite!

Pina217

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015 at 05:52 PM »
Kayc, I've been doing it all as far as bed rest. I started modified, then went to complete, then back to modified, another week of strict and now I am allowed to get up here and there but very minimal. I brave the stairs twice a day also and walk endlessly back and forth to the loo but otherwise my husband, 6 year old or friends and family do the rest. I am lucky I have a helicopter parent that calls me 200 times a day and came to babysit me so my husband could go take a break yesterday which was great.

Kayc78

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015 at 06:04 PM »
Hi Pina,

That's great you got some info from an OB who's close to you. Kinda makes it a little comforting to know someone with a little more of a personal investment rather than the internet if you know what I mean.

And I'm glad to know you move around too.. And all that.. How often do you have your docs appointment and do they measure you? My app is in 2 weeks as the next day my OB is at the higher risk unit is a holiday here(Canada Day) so I go the week after. Kinda scary but if he seems it's ok to wait I'm guessing it's ok. But he mentioned I will see him weekly with US and measurement.

And I appreciate you keeping in touch!