Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: On Bedrest. Will I be strong enough for a vaginal non-medicated delivery?  (Read 3519 times)

LadyMtBiker

• View Profile
Hello all.

I am so glad I found this site today.  I've learned a few more new things, and I am happy.

I was placed on bedrest just as I was starting my 31 weeks.  Before this I had been reading about Bradley's Method - non-medicated natural birth which we wanted to try.  We read so much about it... and now that I am on bedrest and expect to make it beyond 37 weeks, will I have the energy for the labor & delivery of our baby?  Non-medicated?  Medicated w/ just epidural?
Assuming I am not induced either; I've heard that happens to some people on bedrest.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Our bodies are truly amazing. After almost 4 months of bedrest, I had no problems with the non-medicated vaginal delivery of my son. Of course, this was my second child, and there's definitely a difference from what many women have told me. First labors are typically 12 to 14 hours, and it seems like second labors are a few hours and "just a couple pushes." With my daughter I was in active labor for 14 hours and the pain was so bad I couldn't breathe, so I did opt to do the epidural. With my son, active labor was just a few hours and moving very quickly and I felt like I could power though it, so I went without the epi. Both deliveries were so rewarding, so I was glad I was open to going with what felt right at the time.

Is this your first?

LadyMtBiker

• View Profile
Oh, that is so good to hear!

The midwives suggested I stop the Bradley exercises that prepare one for vaginal delivery, except the Kegels.
 So I am glad to hear that there is hope... of course, what we would like to happen doesn't always happen as we expect.

Yes, this is my first.

Thanks.

bianca419

• View Profile
I was on strict bed rest at home for 13 weeks and was fortunate enough to take the bradley class with my husband because the teacher and another couple came to our house. I was told by my doctors that I couldn't do any of the exercises, even the kegels, while on bed rest. (when I practiced the kegels I noticed they caused contractions, so my doc said not to do them).

So now, off bed rest, I am struggling to get my body back into shape, but it's really difficult with all of this baby still weighing on me. I think it's possible to do the bradley method after bed rest, but every woman's body is different. we don't know how each of our labors will go.

LadyMtBiker

• View Profile
Thank you for that reply.  I had no idea how kegels could affect contractions!
I suppose I am 'allowed' to do them because I don't have those symptoms.

Well, I hope your body will know just what to do when it comes to labor & delivery.
And mine too!  *smile*