Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Writing an article about bed rest--Looking for mamas who want to share!  (Read 1831 times)

alexandrak

• View Profile
Hi ladies,

My name is Alexandra and I'm working on an article for Harper's on the history and current use of bed rest, which is mostly for pregnant women with high-risk pregnancies.  I was hoping that some of you on this message board might be up for giving me insight into the experience of being on bed rest--you could post below, or e-mail me at alexandra.kleeman@gmail.com.  You can also ask me more questions about the article via either this thread or my e-mail!

Part of what I'm wondering about is whether you feel like being on sustained bed rest has affected your body or your mind.  What sort of feelings does it cause in your body?  How does it feel mentally?

I'm also wondering whether your doctors told you that you should be on bed rest, whether you asked for it yourself, and whether bed rest was presented as an option or a must.  I've been talking to a lot of doctors, and many of them have told me that mothers are requesting to be put on bed rest rather than being assigned to it.  What was your experience with your doctor?

I hope that I'm not misusing the forum--if the moderator would prefer not to have this thread up, I'll take it down immediately!

Thanks so much, guys--and wishing you all the best.

Alexandra Kleeman
alexandra.kleeman@gmail.com

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Hi, Alexandra! You've come to the right place to find out about bedrest! I hope our ladies will be helpful in answering your questions.

I've been working with this community of women on bedrest for almost 7 years, and spent time on bedrest myself. You can read more about my personal experience here: http://www.keepemcookin.com/about/

I have a lot to say about how the perception of bedrest has changed over the past few years, along with the diagnostics and treatments that may have increased the use of bedrest. I have many insights on how bedrest affects women emotionally. I can go on and on, so it would be great if you could send me any specific questions at angela@keepemcookin.com.

Thanks!
Angela
KeepEmCookin.com founder

Kayc78

• View Profile
Hi,
I'm willing to answer your questions. I will send you an email. And I want for bedrest to be a topic people talk about or know something about.