Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: PPD Resource  (Read 4394 times)

Bennysmomma

• View Profile
PPD Resource
« on: February 25, 2009 at 10:00 AM »
Since women who experience complications during pregnancy are at a much higher risk for postpartum depression (ppd), I thought the following site might be a valuable resource. I've followed this particular site since it's inception and have watched it evolve to a fabulous resource, support network, and award-winning blog

www.postpartumprogress.typepad.com

You never think it can happen to you, but sadly it happens to one out of eight new moms. Shocking! The best defense is knowledge and support. PPD It's nothing for which to be embarrased or ashamed rather, becoming aware of its signs/symptoms can help you or someone you know get the support and encourgement a new family deserves  ;)

« Last Edit: May 24, 2009 at 06:20 PM by Bennysmomma »

love1221

• View Profile
Re: PPD Resource
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009 at 01:49 AM »
Thank you for that article!  I am terrified of PPD. I started taking prozac before I got pregnant and took it throughout the entire pregnancy.  I know I'm at a higher risk for PPD.  I'm almost 4 weeks post partum right now.  I seem to have good days and bad days with my depression.  Does anyone know when PPD usually sets in?

Bennysmomma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009 at 09:07 AM »
Hi Loved 1221,

Pregnancy related depression symptoms can appear at anytime during the pregnancy and through the first year postpartum. I learned that there is actually a spectrum of pregnancy related mood disorders, with PPD being one of them. Depression can also occur during the pregnancy and has an increased risk of occurring during the pregnancy itself when the mother is experiencing pregnancy related complications.  Do you feel like you can talk with your doctor about how your feeling? Medication adjustments can often be helpful. 

Also, I personally found a lot of information and resources which were key to me getting the proper diagnosis and treatment by educating myself. Karen Kleiman, MSW is a national expert on PPD. She has a fabulous website called postpartumstress.com.  There's even a section called "Could I have PPD?" that I found to be life saving. It includes a simple self assessment to help you identify whether you may be suffering from PPD: http://www.postpartumstress.com/pages/could_i_have_ppd.html

I gotta scoot and take Benny to swim lessons...but I'll check back this afternoon in case you have any other questions or would just like to talk more.  :)

Take Care,
Bonnie

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009 at 05:26 PM by Bennysmomma »

babynurse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009 at 09:13 AM »
I have been on bedrest since 27 + weeks of pregnancy and I am now 34 weeks so I am finding it very hard.  I am happy to have found this site via twitter as I have no support whatsoever from anyone.  I have very few friends and the few I have are so good but they have busy lives so I don't hear from them or see them often.  I am feeling ver y depressed as I am the only moneymaker in the family and did not yet start to receive my EI payments so it is very hard.  I am broke at this moment and don't know how to deal with it.  I cry every day and I find myself being very jealous of other women who have lots of friends and supportive families.  I go crazy everytime I hear a mom to be brag about the multiple baby showers she got when I won't even get one.  I worry if I can get all the things  i need for baby Kady.  Everything I have are hand me downs which is fine but it makes me sad I can't give my baby One thing that is new, to call her own.  Everything is second hand.  I can't prepare the nursery cause I can't afford paint and don't even have a crib.  I feel like a useless mother when I can't provide the basics for my daughter.  And I have a very good job but since I've been off sick, things have been extremely hard as I did not plan for complications.  I did have money set aside bu it all went into car repairs which totaled nearly 2000$.  I thought I would have time to re accumulate the money but I was mistaken.  Nothing good ever happens to me.  I just needed to vent.  Even though I still feel sad, it does make me feel a bit better .  I know I will have to cope with PPD soon and that scares me.

Bennysmomma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009 at 10:42 AM »
Hi babynurse,

Hang in there things will get better. Not having the money you would like or even anticipated to have when bringing this new bundle of joy into this world sucks. I tapped into my IRA retirement money to pay my bills and boy did I miss those days of retail therapy. Nothing can cheer a gal up like a trip to the mall! 

But, just remember baby's thrive and survive on LOVE, not material things. One of the things that I enjoyed doing every evening when I was pregnant was lying down and reading Shel Silverstein's Book of Poems, "Where the Sidewalk Ends" to Benny while he was en utero. I found his poetry to be a great way to connect with this new baby growing inside of me while providing myself with some much needed humor/stress relief. Looking at life through the eyes of the child is such a gift!

And, talking with other mothers helped educate me to all kinds of ways to make a dollar stretch further. One of my favs is freecycle.com it's a yahoo group where your local neighbors post things they want to get rid of for free! In addition, someone who's looking for something can post as well. It's packed full of kid stuff! Highly recommend~

Take Care,
Bonnie