Author Topic: cervical cerclage, bed rest from 13wks UPDATE - She's arrived!!!!!  (Read 4254 times)

Arlene1308

• View Profile
Hi, I am hoping for some reassurance or advice. Apologies in advance for the long winded description! My daughter was born 10 weeks early back in 2013. I was admitted into hospital because of membrane abruption at 29/2. At exactly 30 weeks whilst in hospital, I was called for a routine scan, at which point I could not sit and felt pressure like I needed to go to the toilet. (I had been suffering from constipation and had been taking laxatives hence thinking I had to go). Long story short, they discovered she was in birth canal, I was 9cm dilated and her foot was out. Very quick forcep delivery under general. She is now a very healthy toddler and the outcome was positive.

I am pregnant again and was taken in on Wednesday at 13/1 for cervical cerclage. Unfortunately, when they went in they discovered I have no cervix beyond vaginal wall. They were able to pull some through and place a stitch at the end but are not hopeful that it will hold. I hope this makes sense! I have been put on modified bed rest. I am really scared now and finding it really hard not to stress and worry. Every twinge I think it's all over and so so nervous about going to the toilet. Has anyone similar stories or any advice? Again, apologies for the length of this post!!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016 at 04:36 AM by Arlene1308 »

Teemeg

• View Profile
Re: 2nd pregnancy, cervical cerclage at 13 outcome not as hoped...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015 at 01:11 PM »
Hello I had a rescue cerclage placed at 22 weeks for cervical length of 0.9cm. I am 33w3d today and I will say what helped me the most especially before 30 weeks was maintaining strict bed rest. I am a nurse so I tend to think of worst case scenario for everything. So by strict bed rest, I mean I only ever got up for number 2 and a shower every 2-3 days. My hubby had a bucket graduate system for peeing, I would pee in a hospital graduate and empty in a bleach scented water bucket and he would empty it every few hours. He made sure I had breakfast before leaving for work. My lunch n two snacks were placed on the night stand on the opposite side of the bed. At 31 weeks, I decided to start getting up and going to the bathroom as well as kitchen for my meals. Thankfully we are in a dingle story. However, I went in for my scans at 33 weeks and my cervical length dropped from 3.2 to 2.23. I blabbered about all this cause I believe bed rest was my miracle wand. I am back to laying around again but am struggling with it cause my body just can't handle it anymore but like my MFM said, let's try and make it to 35 weeks.

So I advocate for strict bed rest for you. Also, find out if you are a candidate for Makena cause I swear by that drug too.

All the best!!!!!

Jradd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015 at 02:45 AM »
No advice here but I wanted to wish you the best of luck.  Stay horizontal and keep positive! 

heavenbound

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015 at 10:22 PM »
I'm not in a similar situation but wanted to say hello welcome! I've read plenty of positive outcomes with situations like yours. Try using the search engine to look some up...I love that feature!

Hopefully we'll get to enjoy watching your story and pregnancy progress for a long time and you'll end up with a full-term, healthy baby at the end of it all!
Holding on to God's Promises,

Shannon Faith

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

Arlene1308

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015 at 03:41 PM »
Hi all. Thank you for your responses. Have taken all your advice on board! Also, I am finding inspiration from all the other stories and it is great to see I am not alone!

Tomorrow is the start of week 4 of modified bed rest (I'll be 16wks +2) My day consists of waking when my husband gets up for work. My daughter comes in to bed with me so I can do her hair for nursery and also so she can check my belly with her doctors kit. :). She has an understanding that mummy has a sore belly and has to stay in bed. The hardest thing has been having to put her in to childcare full time. I previously worked 3 days a week so Monday and Fridays were our special days. I felt like a bit of a failure having to give away that time. Because I feel and look physically fine, it's difficult. Also, the small things like bathing her, taking her to the park, giving her buzzys, or even just lifting her for hugs! I have even relinquished control over her wardrobe so my husband has picked some very interesting combinations! I then sit in bed and get changed into comfies and put my makeup on just so that I can feel like my old self. I then go and lie on the sofa for the remainder of the day.  My husband comes home for lunch daily so he tends to my lunch. I will owe him endless cups of tea after this!!! I am currently engrossed in Nashville and crocheting! My next venture is sorting through all our photos and making up photo books. 

I do get days where I get very down and emotional. I feel quite selfish on those days. I do know and understand that this is all temporary and a very small portion of time taken out of my life. The end result will be worth it.

I am now scheduled for fortnightly appts with my consultant. I went last Wednesday. Baby looked fine but they could not get a measurement of my cervix which I found really upsetting. The stitch is still there which is about as much as they could tell me. My consultant was off at the time so I get to see her next week so hopefully i will get a clearer picture as I have no measurements to gauge anything by.

Im addicted to this site so will keep checking in...

Thanks for taking the time to read my rambling!!!

Arlene1308

• View Profile
Well today i am 26 plus 1. Had my fortnightly check today and baby is lying head down and right on my cervix looking very much like they would like to make an appearance anytime soon. I had a preterm labor test, fetal fibronectin which came back negative and also a first dose of steroids. Internal showed stitch still present and cervix still ok. The negative result means there is only a very small chance of going into labour within the next two weeks but I'm not relying on that solely. With my track record of no contractions, silent labour I don't conform to normal. As the majority of us on here can relate too!! No chances are being taken by myself or the consultants. I have been on modified bed rest since 13 plus 2, and am now on fully fledged horizontal bed rest!! Luckily, the hospital is only 2miles away so was offered the choice of staying a home. I really want to make it to 30 wks as at least we know what we would be facing.

We are well prepared this time. Christmas has been organised since October so my husband has one lest thing to worry about if I'm admitted and our little girl turns 3 on 4th jan so again, all organised. That has taken some of the stress away as I want my daughter to be able to enjoy this time of year. My bag has been packed from 23 wks!!!

13wks on bed rest has been really tough going and very depressing at times but am determined now to see it through. We've gotten this far! Xx

Natlg

• View Profile
Hi Ariene, don't think we've spoken before. Well done for completing 13 weeks of bedrest, it's my 11th week so I know what you mean by the depressing moment, I think this is one of the most challenging things I have done but we're doing great as we're both still cooking.

At least your all prepared for holiday season and little girls bday, least that's a big weight off your mind. Although you cannot rely on it at least your ffn came in negative, do they repeat it fortnightly for you?

It must be also nice to know that your cerclage is holding, so you have to take any progesterone aswel? Have they took any measurements on your cervix or they leaving you alone?

Keep us updated!

Arlene1308

• View Profile
Hi Natlg. Good to hear you are holding up! How many weeks are you? I think the first weeks are the hardest because the time line seems so enormous and also such a shock to the system. It's very hard to hand over all your day to day activities and responsibilities and what you deem as your normal working day! Think my husband is contemplating hanging me upside down or getting me anti Gravity boots!

I will ask today about repeating the ffn again in a fortnight and also progesterone. Yesterday was the first time I heard about it. They have been leaving me well alone. The only comment made by the consultant yesterday was that my cervix was indeed very very short.

Fingers, toes and legs crossed that everything settles!!

Natlg

• View Profile
I'm 24 weeks and 5. Currently got a cerclage, on bedrest and progesterone with my cervix being 23mm. It's also slightly funnelling and measuring 2mm wide. Next goal is 28 weeks and then hopefully 30 and so on.

Feeling more optimistic now, although still have really down days, which I think is normal. it was a lot more challenging starting it all from 14weeks, I never thought I would make the first milestone of 24 weeks. Hoping to get to 34 weeks although seems like a massive mountain I don't know whether I will make it, but just taking it day by day!

Sometimes being left alone is the best, I think I get one more cervical scan at 27 weeks and then that is it.

Anne23

• View Profile
I had a cerclage placed at 22 weeks.  I have been on modified bedrest since 20 weeks and I'm almost 30 weeks pregnant.  I initially had so many questions on what modified bed rest was, because I didn't want to over do it and I'm still worried that I'm doing too much.  The doctor reassured me that with the cerclage in place, the baby won't fall out.  The reason I'm still on bed rest it to prevent preterm labor.  My cervix length with the stitch has been stable around 2.7 cm.  I last had it checked at 28 weeks, and they said it will no longer be checked.  The plan will be, if I don't go into preterm labor, the stitch will be cut at 36 weeks.  I've been on progesterone shots weekly to prevent preterm labor.  Because I'm having twins, the progesterone suppositories are not recommended.  From other comments that I have read, indicate that many women have a very short cervix, but still make it to 30 + weeks pregnant.  Hang in there and hopefully the baby will continue to "cook".

Arlene1308

• View Profile
Well we made it to 30 wks which was a goal we thought we would never achieve. We've been counting the days beyond that as a bonus. Today though my waters broke. I'm currently 30 +4. Luckily this time we are well prepared and know what is in front of us, although it is all still a scary thing. I was taken to the delivery suite where they removed the cervical stitch and are now just waiting to see how things progress. Because of my history of no contractions or warning signs they are keeping me under very high observation. Im hopeful she'll stay cooking for a wee while yet! Xx
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016 at 12:32 AM by Arlene1308 »

Natlg

• View Profile
Hi Ariene, firstly congratulations for making it past the 30week mark, you have done really well. Have they given you shots for baby's lungs? Fingers crossed you will hold out some more weeks and that baby generates some more water. Keep us updated, thoughts are with you!

Kmm05

• View Profile
First, congratulations on making it past your goal of 30 weeks.  It is definitely a scary thing even knowing what you have ahead of you and being as prepared as possible.  Sending positive thoughts your way that your little one is able to cook a little longer.

Arlene1308

• View Profile
Thankyou for your kind responses. Natlg, how are you getting on. You aren't far behind me and must be approaching  the 30wk mark? We are really pleased to get this far and every day, even more so now, is a bonus. I had steroid injections at 26wks so that is good. I am still leaking amniotic fluid which is a good sign as means baby is still producing. Also on antibiotics so hopefully prevent infection. As you both say, hopefully she will stay there a bit longer.

My husband brought my 3yr old daughter to the hospital today and just seeing her lifted my spirits. She's our little 30wk miracle and I have no doubt her younger sister will be as big a fighter as her. I will keep yous updated. Lucky I can get 4G here in hospital do can keep checking in and catching up with everyone else's progress... xx

Natlg

• View Profile
So good news that the baby is still producing, obviously not ready to come out yet and wants to keep cooking more. I'm not doing to bad, I'm 29 weeks today so yes just shortly behind you...we've been on a journey and hopefully it's not over for both of us. Hope all countinues to stay good with you!